Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Sep-29-02, 20:17

Plan: none right now
Stats: // Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 17%
Default 'Removing' Taste from Veggies

Hi you guys,

Well after 90 minutes searching, I give up, I guess I just have to ask!

One important thing in LC eating seems to me to be using veggies in new ways -- as potatoes, as pasta, things like that.

I have seen various suggestions for 'removing taste' -- or certain ASPECTS of taste from veggies.

I recall that for eggplant it was something like, slice it, and lightly salt it, and let it sit salted for at least 20 minutes. I heard this removes some bitterness.

There was one for cabbage, which somehow related to boiling, can't remember, but searching and reading didn't turn it up for me.

I think those kind of tips are incredibly important for people just learning to cook low-carb, many people have never even used the veggies recommended in some recipes.

Would anybody happen to remember the tip for removing most of the cabbag-y taste from cabbage? I'd like to experiment with cabbage but as I loathe boiled cabbage normally, I want to be sure I try the tip about lessening the taste, and then try stuffing it in something with a strong taste it will hopefully take on.

Are there any other removing-taste-from "tips" anybody could add to this list?

PJ
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Sep-29-02, 23:45
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Add some vinegar to the water for cooking cabbage. cabbage.

If you buy fresh, firm and bright eggplants, there is no need to salt them before cooking. If you do salt, wash and pat the eggplant dry before cooking.

I gotta ask! Why are you eating boiled cabbage if you you don't like it? Try cutting it into thin strips and frying it with bacon. Add a little salt, pepper and vinegar at the end.

Karen
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Sep-30-02, 00:16

Plan: none right now
Stats: // Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 17%

LOL! I'm not eating it. I'm planning meals and menus, and given how wonderfully cauliflower (which I loathe) comes out in your Cauli-Flied 'Rice', am looking to experiment a little with what I see as the three biggest veggie opportunities -- cabbage, cauliflower, and eggplant. If cabbage can be used as a sort of filler to add some bulk or wrappings without making things revolting, it could be a very useful veggie. But no, I don't eat anything I don't like. I'm just trying to expand my horizons of what I like, is all. :-)

PJ
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Nov-30-02, 16:11

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 246/198/180
BF:?/35.2/31
Progress: 73%

I read that soaking radishes in heavy cream for about 15-20 minutes will remove their bitterness.... I haven't tried it yet... but that's what I read!