Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Nov-19-02, 11:47

Plan: The Schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 155.0/130.0/108 Female 5ft. 3in.
BF:
Progress: 53%
Question Greetings & questions from repeat Schwarzbeiner

Hi all. I'm so excited to finally see a Schwarzbein board. I've been looking for one for years. This is my third time at bat with TSP. I TRUELY believe in this WOE and have never felt better than when I followed it. My frustration came from several sources that I hope someone out there can advise me on. First, I went from a smoking and sedentary life to following this WOE religiously (+vitamins, 100 oz water etc.) and excercising (jogging, weights, yoga, swimming) 10+ hrs a week and quit smoking! Unfortunately I only lost 5 lbs in about 2 wks and then plateaued for the next 3 SOLID months. I found it very hard to keep up my enthusiasm after a while considering how strictly I followed the plan. Secondly, while I love eggs, I found it became hard to eat them every day for breakfast no matter how many different ways I fixed them. Does anyone have alternative breakfast suggestions? Third and lastly, I found it very time consuming. Is there a site that has recipe ideas that are totally Schwarzbein legal? Does anyone have quick meal and snack ideas, and is there a site or archive that lists some legal brands of breads, salad dressings, etc? I am determined to stick with it this time to feel better even if the weight doesn't come off but I would appreciate any suggestions! Thanks, Thera
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Nov-19-02, 19:56
Registered Member

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 185/177/135 Female 5 feet, 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 16%

Hi Thera,

I plateaued briefly while on the Schwarzbein eating plan. I had become lazy and stopped eating vegetables with my eggs for breakfast. When I started eating them again, I started to lose weight again. I know that sounds bizarre, but it's true.

I read in Schwartzbein 2 that every meal and snack must be accompanied by nonstarchy vegetables. Also, the protein, carb, and nonstarchies must be eaten together, not 2 hours apart.

Yes, I agree, this plan is time consuming. But you get used to it. I cut up veggies on the weekend. You can also buy premixed salad, spinach, pre-cut mushrooms, baby carrots, and frozen vegetables. I usually hate frozen veggies, but Schwann's has really good ones. www.schwanns.com (most cities have a Schwann's delivery service that will come to your house).

Other breakfast ideas:
Cottage cheese with cut up veggies
Oatmeal with cream and butter, sausage and bell peppers
One piece of Ezekial raisin toast with cream cheese on it, and random vegetables, maybe some sausage on the side to add more protein.

Also--you may be overexercising, which can also cause you to plateau because of the hormone imbalance it causes. Schwarzbein 2 talks alot about exercising 3 to 5 hours per week, not 10+. You should really read the book.

GOOD LUCK AND WELCOME BACK!!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Nov-19-02, 21:00

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 222/199/120 Female 62.5
BF:?/30/20
Progress: 23%

Don't worry too much about plataues on her plan also. She talks about the body needing to heal, and sometimes weight gain can occur as this happens, so it is more important to focus on how you feel, rather that what is going on with the scale or your measurements.
Tanya
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Nov-22-02, 03:09

Plan: schwarzbein
Stats: 200/172/140
BF:
Progress: 47%

Breakfast can be any meal you enjoy. There is no law that says you must eat eggs at breakfast, My favorite meal for breakfast was steak. I fixed it over the summer and my hubby loved starting the day with a hearty substantial meal. Keep nuts (raw almonds) handy for snacks. Raw carrots are my friend. Recently I have been stuffing mushrooms with my turkey meatloaf, and they make a great snack cold and on the run. I add raw carrots and I'm balanced. (oatmeal in the meatloaf is my starchy carb.)

Make this as easy on yourself as you ease back in. Don't beat yourself up and enjoy the way you feel. Shwarzbein has a cook book that is wonderful. She gives some really good easy salad dresssings and many great meals. We have varied her terrific blue cheese recipe by changing out the blue cheese for feta cheese. Since I love rich creamy dressing and blue cheese is a once in a while thing on this plan, we tried the Feta and it is really good. Even dear hubby likes it.

I don't know where you live, but, Alverado Street Bakery makes a California bread that is 8 carbs per slice and utterly delicious. I was eating before SP. Trader Joes has some low carb bread products too. I also keep ry krisp type crackers handy. The one I like is WASA fiber rye. 5 countable carbs per piece. I love it with just butter .

It takes a little prep time but you can do this. Good luck and welcome back to the fold.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Nov-22-02, 11:41

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 178/158/145
BF:36%/23.5%/22.5%
Progress: 61%

One of my non-egg breakfasts is just some cottage cheese (the good stuff - 4%), a piece of fruit and a quick veggie like grape tomatoes.

Easy and quick.