Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, May-09-04, 07:15

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 150/134/120 Female 5'5
BF:too much
Progress: 53%
Default What plan do you recommend for my situation?

Alright!!! thank you to everyone who replied to my post "need lc inspiration." What plan do you recommend to someone in my situation???
I am not interested in losing weight just fixing my atrocius blood sugar problems and beginning to burn fat for fuel instead of carbs. I do not want to gain weight just maintain. I have been in ketosis before and loooooved it but I lost weight and looked like a scary skeleton. So what books/plans do you guys think would suit me. I can't seem to get low enough in carbs to start burning the fat so that I don't gain weight from all the fat . Today for brekkie I ate 1/2 a lc bagel with turkey slices, a lc yogurt with blueberries on top. Not perfect but an improvement. please throw your 2 cents in!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, May-09-04, 07:20
Ex-Patriot

Plan: CAD-ish
Stats: 232.5/199/168 Female 5'2"
BF:no/earthly/clue
Progress: 52%

I would recommend trying a protein/carb combination plan like the Zone or Eating for Life (same guy as Body for Life). CAD also keeps you from going into ketosis but it does not stress protein as much. My guess is that sufficient protein will keep you from looking skeletal.

Keto diets do not agree with everyone, even though they may be the most efficient method if you have to lose a lot of weight. Since you're not trying to lose, you have more options to control your blood sugar.

Schwartzbein is another good plan to consider--it is primarily directed towards controlling blood sugar. Also, Dr. Bernstein's plan for diabetics. You'll find something that works, don't worry.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, May-09-04, 07:57

Plan: IF & Paleo
Stats: 270/254/150 Female 68 inches
BF:--- too much!
Progress: 13%

I agree with The Zone and Schwartzbein Principle, and lean more toward TSP. Best of luck!
  #4   ^
Old Sun, May-09-04, 07:59

Stats: 265/247.5/145 Female 5'4.25"
BF:50%/46%/15%
Progress: 15%

The south beach diet and the atkins diets in their later phases of maintance.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, May-09-04, 09:53
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I vote "Atkins for Life." It's for people who are ready for maintenance. Lots of good recipes and info on maintaining healthy blood sugar levels.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, May-09-04, 10:09

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

Antoher one to look into is Protein Power LifePlan. I like the Drs. Eades' views.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, May-09-04, 14:44

Default what about the paleo diet???

what about a paleo/neanderthin type diet? It looks really healthy.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, May-09-04, 22:19
Bigger than ever :(

Plan: Keto
Stats: 464/280/200 Male 67.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 70%

I don't know that I know the answer to this question, but I have a question, no offense or anything intended: Your name is ex vegan. Why are you not a vegan anymore?
  #9   ^
Old Sun, May-09-04, 22:42

Stats: 229/205/170 Female 5'6"
BF:I have Body Fat!??

You've got a lot of great information here--I think reading several of the books (like all you can get your hands on) would be great for you! Then you could choose a plan to fit you best.

There are a few things to keep in mind when it comes to the blood sugar thing, and since you're wanting to maintain these are the most important points. In order to maintain blood sugar levels it is essential that you eat foods in the right combination. Never eat carbs without something to counter-act their affects (either fat or protein or both). So for example, if you maintain your body on 150 carbs, for breakfast you'd want to eat something like eggs, sausage and fruit. A great snack would be maybe more low-glycemic fruit with some cheese. A good lunch might be a taco salad made with refried beans, taco meat, lettuce, tomatoes, sour cream, guacamole, olives, etc.

I know the Zone puts foods like this into groups (called blocks) to help control blood sugar levels. My sis-in-law has been on the Zone for several years now and just loves it. She was hypoglycemic and had quite a few problems associated with blood sugar. She often eats oatmeal and something else for breakfast; meat, legumes and veggies for lunch, so on and so forth. She can't tolerate any artificial sweetener that I know of, so she does have the very rare sugar treat, but she knows she can't overdo it. If she eats too much sugar or chocolate, she has a horrible case of flebitis (sp?) flare up. She suffered with it for a long time before she finally figured out what would help it, and low-carbing has been the key for her.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, May-10-04, 06:09

Default why I am not a vegan anymore (for BBQ)

Being a vegan ruined my health and I was following all of the so-called "vegan experts" regarding vegan nutrition. My hair dropped out, skin became scaly and dried, I started having psychotic mood swings, and felt awful, even became anorexic. I messed up my blood sugar living off of potatoes, rice, and beans with out any protein. Now after 5 mo's of eating meat again I am beginning to feel normal (almost)
  #11   ^
Old Mon, May-10-04, 09:23
Bigger than ever :(

Plan: Keto
Stats: 464/280/200 Male 67.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 70%

But all the vegan propaganda says your health will improve!!!
  #12   ^
Old Mon, May-10-04, 18:49

Default vegan propaganda

is exactly that!!! I almost died I think and I am glad I began to eat meat again. Vegans live off of pasta and tomato sauce and bread bread bread yet tell you that your turkey burger with avocado will kill you very shortly.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, May-10-04, 19:54

Stats: 229/205/170 Female 5'6"
BF:I have Body Fat!??

Ex-vegan, I'm sorry you had to go through such a horrible time, but I am very glad you saw the light, so to speak. Vegans are the absolutely unhealthiest group on the planet! I love a quote I heard one time: "I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to eat plants!" LOL

And to think, from what I've read and heard, beans and rice combined create a perfect protein. Truthfully, it isn't all about protein. A great many foods contain protein. Meats are rich in amino acids, which the body requires to fully digest and absorb certain types of foods. Without those amino acids, the other foods pass through the body without the nutrients being absorbed.

I personally feel like people shouldn't worry so much about whether some choose to kill an animal to eat it. My concern is more how the animal was treated during its life. And the fact that if animals weren't taken for food, there'd be no place on the earth for us! LOL
  #14   ^
Old Mon, May-10-04, 21:59

Default lila cotton

thanks for the kind words
I absolutely love your little rant about nuts!