Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Feb-18-03, 18:29

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 150/148/130
BF:
Progress: 10%
Default A little trouble with Induction Phase

Hello, I'm new to this board. I've been trying out a low-carb diet mainly using Dr. Atkins as a guide. After a week or so on his no more than 20 carbs diet I began feeling quite sick. It felt like a case of the flu--I was nauseous and even a little light-headed. I didn't think I was even being that strict--for instance, I was eating nuts. As soon as I added a little fruit (say 1 orange divided over the day) I felt much better. Is it possible some people can't tolerate such a low-carb diet? I saw nothing about this in the Atkins book or anywhere else. Everyone else says they felt great on the diet.

I would love to hear some advice!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Feb-18-03, 18:55

Stats: 219/205/135 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 17%
Post Hello

What you were experiencing is known as carb withdrawal. When you make a drastic change and cut your carbs low you may experience symptoms as you describe. I had terrible headaches, nausea,and fatigue. This passes after a few days and you feel GREAT. The first time I tried Atkins I did it two weeks and was so sick I quit thinking I was not able to tolerate it. After doing serious research and coming here I gave it a second try and lived through the symptoms toughing them out. To my surprise I felt AMAZING after a week! I have lost 20lbs in 10 weeks and am doing GREAT. If you do not have any medical problems and have been evaluated by a doctor I would say it was typical withdrawal. Many of us experienced the awful feelings. My body ached all over the first week! Like I said now I feel like a NEW person. Hope that helped.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Feb-19-03, 01:04
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

shannonlea is absolutely correct. If Atkins had only stressed this in his books, it would have assured a lot of people that nothing is wrong and that it's a natural part of learning to low-carb.

Karen
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Feb-19-03, 16:12

Stats: 150/148/130
BF:
Progress: 10%

Thank you both very much. It would indeed be helpful if this was discussed in the book. I didn't know what to make of it and was afraid it would get worse and worse.

But now I'll take a deep breath and try to live with it for a couple of weeks. Thanks for responding so promptly. Sue
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Feb-19-03, 16:20

Stats: 235/195/190
BF:??%/15.9%/<10%
Progress: 89%
Default Hang in there!

I'm not sure I felt quite as bad as you did but I think my body reacted diferently. Looking back I can see that I was showing signs of withdrawl. I was irritable and felt short-tempered for over a week. I had seen posts here about getting through the innitial stages and sure enough I feel great now!

Soooo....Hang in there it will be worth it!!!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Feb-20-03, 09:54

Stats: 160/150/110
BF:
Progress: 20%
Default Carb Withdrawal

You shouldn't really worry about feeling this way unless it goes on for to long. There is something in Dr. Atkins book about carb withdrawl. If you have the book turn to page 141 and read on if not he says "Withdrawal symptoms vary widely, ranging from fatigue, faintness and palpitations to headache and cold sweats."
I'm very new to this but I was feeling these symptoms and they are now going away. Gave up real coffee for the fake decaf stuff, so I really think that's all it was.
Try reading through the induction phase chapter in the book again and I'm sure you'll feel less worried.
Stick with it!!!