Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-03, 12:56

Plan: Atkins/Bernstein
Stats: 240/171/130 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 63%
Cool Tested Lots Of BG's Last Nite

I had some people over last night to watch the season opener of Survivor. I went to the bathroom to test BG, and others followed....long story...anyway

Got lots of readings ...from 89 (mine) to 145...my best friend's (110 lbs, 5'8", very healthy)...so....is it okay for "normal" people to spike...but not us? Just wonderring!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-03, 13:00

Plan: atkins/bernstein
Stats: 105/105/105 Female 63ins
BF:
Progress:

my hubby's bg was over 135 when he was stressed over exams.if that had been my reading i,d have had a stroke.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-03, 13:56

BF:

(sounds of tumbleweeds blowing in the background..again)

Anyone else have any experiences like this?
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-03, 14:19

BF:
Progress:

think everybodys over at Dr b's.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-03, 14:21

BF:

huh?....Dr B has a site?
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-03, 14:29

BF:
Progress:

do you not know about it?Iplay there when i,m not here.the website is
www.diabetes-normalsugars.com/
just register and go to the forum.you'll recognise everyone.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-03, 15:01
Registered Member

Plan: Bernstein
Stats: 185/170/175 Male 6 foot
BF:Who Knows/Cares
Progress: 150%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrielee
(sounds of tumbleweeds blowing in the background..again)

Anyone else have any experiences like this?

Hi Sherrielee,

The only time my wife's bgl is less than mine is before breakfast. I remember one time before bed, my wife's bgl was around 128 and she nearly had a heart attack. Now she refuses to let me check her bgl out ;-)

Thanks,

Adam
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-03, 15:23
Registered Member

Plan: My own
Stats: 194/000/150 Female 5'5"
BF:Not sure
Progress: 441%

Hi Adam:
i'm chasing my family with my meter, and only my BG who understand my feelings, let's me poke him with a niddle. everytime he has higher pp BGs than mine, he's is very proudly will claim that i don't have diabetes. then i'll remind him that i didn't eat cookis and ice cream for desert, and that 's how my BGs are lower. only his FBG are always around 110, and his H1C was 5.9 last time he tested.
Thanks,
Dina
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-03, 15:51

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 293/229/172 Male 5'11"
BF: Yes-VERY! %-)
Progress: 53%

Hi Sherrielee--

My wife was a grad student in nursing at UCSF 30 years ago. They took a class of 20 on a "field trip" down to Swenson's Ice Cream Shoppe (simply terrific ice cream!) and encouraged everyone to eat their fill. All were non-diabetics, all between 21-35 years old. Starving grad students didn't need a lot of encouragement!

Then they ran 2 hr. pp BG's on everyone. They were ALL off the map...most between 250 and 300!!! The moral of the story (for them) was that a high BG can be a response to a huge carb/sugar load...and not necessarily a sure diagnostic for diabetes. Everybody has "spikes" in response to the proper stimuli. Shortly after that, most places stopped relying on "Glucose Tolerance Tests" for dx (this is the one where you drank a bottle of super-sweet "Glucola," and got hourly tests for 8 hours to determine "clearance rates.") Lots of people tested as diabetic on those...but most of them cleared "normally" when they ate "normally." The HbA1c provides a much more reliable dx.

Incidently, despite a family history of diabetes and overweight, my wife has never tested high on any other regular BG readings...but I, with no family history (but really high weight) managed to get a T2 dx last April. The good news is that my 300+ numbers went to 85-115 after 6 weeks on Atkins at a <20 carb/day intake.

Still, I'm not contemplating any trips to Swenson's in the near future!

Last edited by geo53562 : Fri, Sep-19-03 at 15:59.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-03, 18:59

BF:

Hummm...so...if we aren't dx with Type II....numbers go out the window.

Just retested my friend....99 .. 2 hours pp
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-03, 20:05

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 293/229/172 Male 5'11"
BF: Yes-VERY! %-)
Progress: 53%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrielee
Hummm...so...if we aren't dx with Type II....numbers go out the window.

Just retested my friend....99 .. 2 hours pp

Actually, it has more to do with the amount of time we spend with elevated BG's...often referred to as the AUC (Area Under the Curve). The BG graph of a diabetic (T-1 or T-2) will show the same spikes as the BG of a non-diabetic. The difference will be in the plot of how fast these levels return to the "normal" range. If these are on an x-y graph, where the BG numbers are the vertical axis, and the horizontal axis is time, the diabetic plot will cover a lot more area than that of the non-diabetic. As I understand it, this AUC is critical in assessing the amount of exposure the delicate parts of your body (nerves, tissues, retinas, etc.) have to the caustic effects of your BG. The combination of severity and duration of exposure determines the amount of damage your body may sustain.

An additional facet of this is the "Glycemic Index." Although the conventional view has been that one carb is equal to another, it can be demonstrated that some foods with equal carbs are much more "persistant" in elevating and maintaining high BG readings than others. In essence, a food that gives you a BG spike of 200 and clears to 120 pp (2hrs) would be far preferable to one that gives you a spike of 180 and only declines to 170 pp (2hrs). Again, we're looking at the AUC measurement, but this time we're comparing foods, not the response of diabetics vs. non-diabetics.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Sep-20-03, 13:20
Registered Member

hi geo53562;:
you've finally confirmed what i've suspected for a while. i do think that even non-diabetics spike if given a good load of carbs, and therefore, it's not good indication of the desease. also, i agree that H1C is a very sensitive indicator of any health risk/damage from diabetes. now, i won't be going crazy anymore when my pp BG is 100.
thanks you,
dina
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Sep-22-03, 22:21

Plan: Dr Bernstein
Stats: 195/175/170
BF:
Progress: 80%

To muddy the waters a bit more, in "Life without bread" an excellent book which I recommend for general scientific background on lc, Dr Lutz points out that some obese adolescents actually spike LESS than non-obese people, because they are constantly circulating huge amounts of insulin. If anyone can't get the book, I will get it out and quote his figures. Bill
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Sep-23-03, 08:34
Registered Member

Angry

hi Bill:
i've read a good references about this book but dreading buying another on lc, already have more than few. this is totally makes sense but it doesn't make me happier. could you, please, provide the figures.
thank you,
dina
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Sep-23-03, 10:14

Plan: Bernstein
Stats: 203/171/170
BF:
Progress: 97%

I find it helpful to remember that diabetes is an impairment of the ability to produce insulin. It is not high blood sugar, which may also be very high pp in non-diabetics.

If you think of it this way, it's easier to figure out when to eat, when to test, whether or not you might need to consider injecting insulin, how much weight you need to lose, why you're not losing it, etc. That concept makes it all much more accessible to me.