Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Nov-26-02, 17:39

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%
Default Now it's nuts! (Literally)

Quote:
Health - Reuters

Handful of Nuts Every Week May Ward Off Diabetes
48 minutes ago Add Health - Reuters to My Yahoo!

NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - Women who enjoy an occasional handful of almonds or walnuts or a serving of peanut butter may have a lower risk for developing type 2 diabetes than women who rarely eat such food, Harvard researchers report in a study released Tuesday.

Women who ate about 5 ounces of nuts a week had a diabetes risk 27% lower than women who never or rarely ate nuts, according to the report in the November 27th issue of the Journal of the American Medical Association (news - web sites). Women who ate between 1 ounce and 4 ounces of nuts a week had a 16% lower risk, even when they had other diabetes risk factors.

While more research is needed to confirm the findings, the study suggests that unsaturated fats found in nuts may improve the body's ability to use insulin and regulate blood glucose (sugar). Previous research has shown that eating nuts may be associated with a lower risk of heart disease, which is also affected by insulin and blood sugar control.

However, the authors recommend that nuts, which are high in fat, be used as a substitute for other foods such as certain types of meat or refined grain products. Adding calories to the diet makes weight gain more likely, which can raise the risk of both type 2 diabetes and heart disease, they note.

"To avoid increasing caloric intake, regular nut consumption can be recommended as a replacement for consumption of refined grain products or red or processed meats," conclude Dr. Rui Jiang from Harvard School of Public Health in Boston, Massachusetts, and colleagues.

Their study included nearly 84,000 female nurses living in the US, who filled out several questionnaires about their diet over 16 years. The women ranged from 34 to 59 years old when the study began, and had no history of diabetes, heart disease or cancer.

According to the results, women who ate the most 1-ounce servings of nuts and peanut butter were the least likely to develop type 2 diabetes. For instance, women who reported never or rarely eating these foods had no change in risk, while those who ate at least 5 1-ounce servings of nuts or peanut butter weekly cut their risk by at least 20%.

Women who included between 1-4 ounces of nuts in their weekly diet reduced their diabetes risk by 16%, and those who reported eating less than 1 ounce of nuts a week had an 8% lower risk for the disease.

Although women who consumed more nuts tended to weigh less, exercise more and smoke less than their peers who ate fewer servings of nuts, the association between nuts and diabetes risk remained regardless of body mass index (BMI), smoking and alcohol intake.

"Our data...support potential benefits of increasing nut consumption in reducing type 2 diabetes risk," the study concludes.

Type 2 diabetes, the most common form of the disease, is often linked to obesity. Once seen almost exclusively in older adults, the disease is on the rise among adults and children in the US. Diabetes increases the risk of blindness, amputation, kidney failure, nerve damage and heart disease.

The study was funded by the National Institutes of Health (news - web sites).

SOURCE: Journal of the American Medical Association 2002;288:2554-2560.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...uts_diabetes_dc

They are NOT going to give up on bad mouthing saturated fats, are they!

And I'm sorry...but a "handful" of nuts is not 5 ounces...at least not my handful!

I really wish they would figure things out before they publish!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Nov-26-02, 17:44

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

heheh

5oz of nuts would be about half a can full. Don't they look up serving size? aka 1 oz.

#3   ^
Old Tue, Nov-26-02, 18:47

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Well....the study did say 1-5 oz. per week, not per day which would be about a handful per day. Not that I agree with thier conclusions (using nuts as a replacement for red meat).
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Nov-27-02, 12:36

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

Well if you add a handful of nuts per day on a classic American high-carb diet, you will most likely GAIN weight, so their recommendation isn't so crazy. Only on a low carb diet are you not likely to gain weight from eating a reasonable quantity of nuts.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Nov-27-02, 12:51

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

Yeah but isn't it just as true that if you ate 200 calories a day more than you burned, you would also gain weight over time? I mean why pick on the poor nuts.

My doctor once told me that eating one small candy bar a day, for a year would make you gain about 15 pounds. That of course is assuming you did nothing about increasing your exercise or decreasing your calorie intake.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Nov-27-02, 18:08

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

no one is picking on the nuts Just that the point of the article was that eating more nuts is healthy and basically encourage people to eat more. Most people would tend to simply eat nuts on top of what they already ate. The article was simply proposing a method to avoid the weight gain from doing that