Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Mar-27-03, 11:47

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 230/200/140
BF:
Progress: 33%
Red face Are there any decent tasting low carb shake mixes?

Hello everyone, this is my first post.

I really like being on a low carb diet, but I really don't like many of the low carb subsitutes for bread, pasta, and especially the shake mixes. Yuck!

They are too expensive to keep trying and throwing away, so I was wondering if anyone would reccomend their favorite products.

Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Mar-27-03, 18:55
Golden Greek Girl

Plan: Atkins induction
Stats: 207/200/185 Female 5'8
BF:?????
Progress: 32%

Hi Barb I use keto shakes, I like the way they all taste and haven't had one yet dissappoint me. You can get to the site by clicking here they are realy not too expensive, and when I am running late I grab one of the pre-made shakes. Look at the page cause you can get a free bar and pre-made shake with every ordermake sure you click the link at the top of the page. Then you can try different things for free and not worry about wasting it if you don't like it. They have ALOT of flavors too. Hope you like them.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Mar-27-03, 19:28

Plan: low carb/low sugar
Stats: 152/149/135
BF:?
Progress: 18%
Thumbs up re: shakes

Hi Barb!
I found my favorite. It is called "Designer Whey Protein". The chocolate is my favorite! I buy mine at GNC. 2 carbs per scoop. I throw in a raw egg for added protein! It is wonderful! Hope this helps!------------Angie

p.s. My family is from P.A.--Monesson---Belle Vernon---N. Charleroi
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Mar-27-03, 19:39
Give chance a chance

Plan: General LC maintenance
Stats: 152.6/115.6/115 Female 60 inches
BF:28%
Progress: 98%

I like Atkins Chocolate delight, since I have never eaten breakfast and am not hungry early in the morning. This is ready to drink in a can. Tried his other chocolate one and hated it. Haven't tried the mixes. Figured I should be putting something in my stomach when I get up. It costs a LOT though.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Mar-27-03, 20:33
Former Couch Potato

Stats: 209/195.5/165 Female 5' 8"
BF:Oh yeah!
Progress: 31%

I, too, bought the jar of whey protein to make my own. Each scoop has 2 carbs. I use 1 scoop per shake. Makes a big shake.

You can get plain, chocolate or vanilla, and then add your own ingredients. They're good.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Mar-29-03, 00:56

Plan: Weight Watchers (1/2008)
Stats: 264/214/185 Female 5' 9½"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I also use the Designer Whey protein powder.

I make my shake with the powder, heavy whipping cream, Davinci syrups, an egg and ice cubes. My shake is 6 carb each.

1 scoop powder
1/2 C whipping cream
1/2 C SF Davinci syrup
-stir slightly
Add 1 egg
10-12 ice cubes

I then mix with my Braun handmixer until ice is crushed. The more ice, the bigger the drink gets.

I have chocolate and vanilla powder, and several syrups, that give me a great variety.

Vanilla powder with orange syrup tastes like a orange cream cicle, and chocolate with raspberry syrup is MMmmmm mmmm good.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Mar-29-03, 07:18
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins and South Beach
Stats: 232/189.8/150 Female 60 inches
BF:don't want to know
Progress: 51%

My protein shakie is just whey protein powder, an egg, water and a bit of SF Jello powder of a small packet of Crystal Light. For extra protein, I sometimes add an extra egg white or two.
I have never found a low carb shake I liked.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Mar-29-03, 23:18

Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%

I only use the designer protien one, with no extra sweetner at all, just the egg, 1/4 cup of cream and ice cubes. Sometimes blueberries.(when out of induction)
I just started them this week, really not into phoney foods, but it is a nice change, but you should'nt depend on them.

Yes, they are all overpriced!! I think anyways, I'm going to do some searching to create my own. Anyone else done this??
let me know in my journal please. Thank you
Good Luck, Kathy
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Mar-31-03, 01:25
Registered Member

Plan: general LC
Stats: 162/147/135 Female 67 in
BF:
Progress: 56%

I'm too scared to try the low-carb shakes! I went into a "smoothie" shop that has lots of low-carb choices, and the smell burned my nose. Plus, when I asked the clerk at GNC, he told me that none of the low-carb shakes taste good.
I think that making your own will probably be your best bet.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Mar-31-03, 17:00

Plan: my own variation
Stats: //
BF:
Progress: 33%

I also agree with some of the others, the brand Designer Whey (by Next Nutrition) is really good, it mixes well and has a great taste. I love to mix the chocolate flavour with cream cheese and a little sweetner. So good! Also, Simply Protein by EAS is another good option in terms of overall taste. It has 3 g carbs per serving (2 scoops), 2 g fat and 21 g protein. It comes in vanilla, chocolate and strawberry flavours. There are many disgusting, non-palatable protein powders on the market, so it's good to get some input before going out to purchase one.