Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Sep-12-03, 20:18

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 291/283.0/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 6%
Exclamation I need to get in shape so I can go get in shape

Hi all,

I'm a newbie to the boards and am learning every day. I think this area of the boards will be my favorite.

Today, I went to check out Curves exercise program only to find that I am so out of shape I don't think I can do the machines.

Back when I was in my teens I was very active - I guess all these years in a desk job have pretty much ruined my muscles.

I have been walking a slow mile 4 days a week which is huge amount movement for me. Some days I feel like I can go a little further and do - other days I bearly have the energy to get the 1 mile in.

I think this is a great support forum and I am going to try really hard not to dwell on the fact that I'm so out of shape. I keep eating the LC way, walking slowly - surely good things will come?

Martha
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Sep-12-03, 20:29
Registered Member

Stats: 323/293/200 Male 73"
BF:
Progress: 24%

Welcome to the boards! Sounds like you are on the right track. Just do what you can and keep it challenging.

It is important that you excercise 4-5 times a week (or more if you have time) for at least 30 minutes a day. Keep it up and it'll get easier and before you know it, you'll be up to 2 miles a day.

Good luck.

- Barry
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Sep-12-03, 21:24

Plan: atkins
Stats: 350/307/185 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:51%
Progress: 26%

HI! I am so impressed that you are walking a mile a day. It doesn't make any difference that it is slow. You are doing it! ANd it sounds like you are listening to your body and adjust accordingly.

Welcome to this forum. It has helped me more than I can say.

Rena
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Sep-13-03, 10:07
Registered Member

Stats: 190/150/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 133%

To get started on an exercise program has got to be the hardest part of it. When you are significantly overweight, any low impact exercise would probably work the best, such as the walking that you are doing now. When I see some young thing jog in the mornings I always mumble to myself "keep going, dear.....don't stop. The minute you do you will pile on the pounds and once you do it becomes impossible to do that again". God only knows, I wish I had kept running. Instead we get used to a more sedetary life style and give up on the running in favor of desk jobs, babies and more. I have always hated walking though....too slow. It bores me and does not keep me motivated. I find that best form of exercise for me is the kind that makes you feel like you are playing. Bike riding, sledding, playing basketball, volleyball etc is all fun and I don't feel like I am working out. In fact, my doctor asked me the other day if I was working out, to which I responded 'no', forgetting to count the 20 mile bike ride I do daily as exercise. To me, it is all play.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Sep-13-03, 11:15
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

I know exactly what you mean. I always puzzle at the posts of people who don't want to exercise and are only doing it to lose weight. I'm almost the opposite -- I wanted to lose weight so I could exercise more, rather than exercising to lose weight. I have always been fairly active and athletic, but I had reached the point where I couldn't physically do what I wanted to do without losing weight.

I started out slowly, primarily with lap swimming because it did not put a lot of stress on my joints. I couldn't really start walking at all until I got down close to 300, because it hurt my back and knees too much. Over the course of the past year, I gradually built my walking up so that now I can easily hike four or five miles in hilly terrain. I even climbed up the side of a mountain while on vacation last month (two miles on a trail that was switchbacks the whole way up).

For me, consistency has been key. I try to exercise five days a week. Depending upon what is going on in the rest of my life, some weeks I exercise four days and some weeks I exercise six days, but I average five days. Whenever I reach the point where I feel the exercise I am doing is getting too easy, I up the intensity a little. I have recently started using the treadmill a couple days a week, because I can push myself further on that than just walking or swimming (the two things I have been doing up to now). I have also started occasionally doing a little bike riding which I never could have done a year ago.

You will get there, it just takes time and persistence. I was at the YMCA this morning doing the treadmill and the guy on the treadmill next to me told me how impressed he was by how long I kept going and how I kept my heart rate up. Believe me, a year ago I would not have impressed anyone. When I told the guy at the Y that I had lost over 90 pounds in the past year and that there was no way that I could have done this a year ago, he couldn't believe that it was possible to come that far in so little time. It is possible to get in shape, even starting out at a very low rate. There are success stories all over this forum (check out Chemlady).
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Sep-13-03, 18:18

Stats: 253/240/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 12%

Hi Martha,

I started doing pilates a couple of weeks ago and find it suits me very well, I also walk a lot more than I used to.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Sep-13-03, 20:53

Stats: 291/283.0/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 6%

I definately need to continue walking. Right now I'm very self conscious when I move because everything giggles around and I know people that see me stare at me. I would love to be able to go to the YMCA and use the treadmills -- Maybe I'll make that a mini goal.

Also, my upper body strength is nearly non-existant. Doesn't take much effort to type <g>

Thanks everyone for your posts and encouragement and if you have any more tips to help me get moving - I'd appreciate it

Martha
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Sep-13-03, 21:17

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 333/199.8/172 Female 5'8"
BF:??/39.0/25
Progress: 83%

Hi Martha. Great job on your walking! I just bought a belly dancing dvd and have "danced" to it now twice. I'm not sure you can call what I do dancing, yet though. I can do it in the privacy of my living room, so that works well for me. I could only do 12 minutes of it and I worked up a sweat. It's a 30 minute workout, so I'm hoping to increase a minute every few days until I can do the whole thing. There's a few places in it where they jump, but I'm not doing the jumping part. That would be too hard on my knees (and the floor, lol!). Good luck to you!
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Sep-13-03, 21:37
"Hopeless Romantic"

Plan: 000000000
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 00000
BF:
Progress: 26%

I have been going to Curves for about 9 months and believe me, there are all sizes of women there. The ones who are very large usually do the squares, the arm machines and then however they manage the machines. They are there to help you modify the workout to fit your limitations of any kind. At our group, we have an elderly woman that is really quite thin that I am afraid her bones will break!! She is just keeping things moving. another member is blind and they help her from station to station and tell her what machine is next. Alot of women have shoulder problems, knee problems etc. that they just do what they can. No one grades you on how you are doing it because everyone is there for the same reason and no one knows why someone is changing things a little. Its a great workout and really quick. I have to tell myself that I deserve a 1/2 hour a day just for me and make myself go. Once I am done, i am so revved up that I can continue with my day. Helps to keep the good food choices in line as well. If you can get a trial membership, I would highly suggest that you give it a try. They are all there to help you.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Sep-14-03, 05:59

Stats: 305/260/180 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 36%

I just wanted to agree with muweek - the Curves I got to here in NY is the same way. There are several ladies that can't do different machines, and the owner has helped them to modify the excersizes so that they can do what is comfortable with them. If you have interest with Curves, talk to the owner, I know the owner here is VERY understanding and willing to work with everyone to curtail an excersize program that works for the individual lady --- so the owner of the Curves you went to, may be the same way!

Keep up the wonderful work!!!!

~Jaya
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Sep-14-03, 06:57

Plan: Atkins/Duodenal Switch
Stats: 344/165/148 Female 65"  (inches) 5'5"
BF:falllingfast
Progress: 91%

If your walking is tiring keep doing it and you'll ba amazed how good it makes you feel..but also add something else to help more... I found that I could walk with a small weight in each hand and either squeeze them or even swing your arms slightly...this will help your arm stregth and it's not tough..just find light weight... maybe 3 pounds...

You are on the right track! At the beginning of summer I found out what cruddy shape I was in by trying to take a walk and about passing out! I was pushing my 2 kids in a jogger stroller and thought I'd never make it out again. BUT My husband and I started taking the kids out walking every evening after dinner. then 3 weeks ago I started atkins and was more determined than ever to get in shape... I bought 2 step aerobic videos and a couple AB workout tapes too. Up until last night I was only able to do a good 15-20 minutes of the step before having to stop and I would relax then do my ABs. Last night (after 3 weeks of consistently trying 5-6 nights a week) I made the whole 50 minutes with energy to spare plus abs! I am very proud of myself! I have only lost 17 pounds so far but 5-6 inches from my waist and thats a pretty big deal! Now I dont look pregnant anymore!

good luck...you can do it!
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Sep-15-03, 09:19

Plan: Atkns/CT Weight&Wellness
Stats: 335/272.5/170 Female 5 ft 3 inches
BF:54/51/35
Progress: 38%

When I started walking several weeks ago, I couldnt make the 1/2 maile track in our hometown. I was sweating/sore and out of breath. I actually cried on the way home :-( but vowed to keep going.

I'm doing between 2-2.5 miles 3x week (except last week I was sick) now - this is after building up over time a little bit each week. I'm definately walking faster now, but at least I'm not exhausted to the point of pain... that to me is progress enough.

KEEP IT UP! YOU CAN DO IT! Every day take just a few more steps and it will add up!
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Sep-15-03, 16:28

Stats: 425/322/240 Female 68 inches
BF:Lots
Progress: 56%

I have to echo what the women said about giving Curves a chance. I belong to Slim and Tone, which is pretty similar to curves except we are at each station for 1 min instead of 30 seconds. I was very out of shape when I started there but I love going and I've gotten a lot better at the workout.

You might want to give it a try.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Sep-15-03, 17:56

Plan: Atkins - modified
Stats: 280/253/160 Female 5'4"
BF:50+/44.4/25
Progress: 23%

I am a pedometer addict..... am finding it is the best way I have found to slowly but effectively increase the activity in my day....

I have heart problems that restrict my activity, but I need the exercise for both weight reduction and the aerobic fitness my heart needs, but I had allowed myself to become so unfit, that even a 5 minute walk had me exhausted.... and the thought of "exercise", seemed so impossible, it was difficult to get started....

There is a great article http://www.prevention.com/cda/featu...s1-4037,00.html
that explains how to use a pedometer to slowly increase the activity in your day, how to judge your current level (by simply wearing it during a normal day) and how to safely increase your daily activity... page 2 has a table that is easy to follow..

Its a great way to start getting in shape, so you can get in shape...