Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Feb-10-02, 17:23

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 161/145/125
BF:
Progress: 44%
Default Can't Restart

I lost 15 lbs on the Atkins b/w Aug and November last year. In November, I became engaged and went off the diet due to parties, holidays, dinners, stress, etc. Now it is 5 months before my wedding and I desperately need to lose 20 lbs. I can't seem to get myself back on the Atkins diet. I keep re-reading the dandr or read posts in this forum which inspires me for a few hours, but does not last. I've been getting to the gym abot 3x each week although I should at least go 5x. Would anybody lend some advice?

(btw...what does "wol" stand for?)
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Feb-10-02, 17:46

Stats: 235/167/167 Female 167cm
BF:45%/25.5%/20%
Progress: 100%

Hi Ebeth

Unfortunately you are the only one who can really motivate yourself. All I can suggest is removing anything that may distract you.

...such as get rid of all the bad carbs from the house. Start the induction diet when your social life is quiet and you don't have a lot of eating out planned.

Also, it might help to attack it in small pieces. Such as...only thik about getting through the first three days. If you've done Atkins before you may remember that it is about then that the hungetr pangs disappear. Once you get to day three, only think about getting to the end of induction, by then the cravings will have died down.

If you get that far you're on a winner

Good luck
lesley
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Feb-10-02, 17:58
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Ebeth

WOL means way of life. Lots of long term low-carbers look at this as a life change and a learning process in which we have completely changed our way of eating to keep us healthy forever.

Karen
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Feb-10-02, 18:01

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 164/130/132
BF:
Progress: 106%

Hi Ebeth....

WOL== Way of life. many of us consider this way of eating our way of life. It works--- you feel better, eat better food, and don't have to worry about regaining the pounds you worked so hard to get off!!
So .. it's no longer a diet for some... it's a way of life.

I hope you jump back on the LC wagon with the rest of us!!
Lesley is right---- only YOU can motivate YOU!!!
One day at a time ..... like any other addiction!!

Good Luck!!!
Ellie
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Feb-10-02, 21:21

Stats: 169/153/120 Female 62"
BF:Start38%
Progress: 33%

Hi,
I did Atkins in 1999 and lost 25 lbs and regained all but 7 lbs. When I restarted this time, it WAS VERY HARD. I remembered that carb deprivation feeling, and rather than it being a new experience, I dreaded the induction phase because I had so many withdrawals last time. Underlying all of this of course, was my sense that, oh no, why did I regain it, how come I'm starting all over. I can tell you it took me a few tries to get on the wagon and stay on, and induction was rough, but after: WOW. I feel so much better. I think I'm much wiser this time, and having gone through that twice, I'm certainly not interested in repeating it a third time. I think this time I'm much more committed and realise that now it's a way of life and not something for quick weight loss (which is how I saw it last time)

I'd say give it another try, it won't be easy, but you know, it just might be the one that works. Good luck, hope it all turns out. You can do it.

Ruby
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Feb-11-02, 06:33

BF:
Default Thanks!

Thank you all for all the advice. I have to keep reading all the posts to remind me to stick with my "WOL" change. Ruby, it was so encouraging to read your post. I don't feel as much as a failure to realize that other people have just as a hard time climbing back on the wagon as I'm having right now. I recently went to a trainer who tried to introduce more carbs into my diet and I cringed at the thought of so many grams!! I guess that's a start in the right direction. (not to mention I just noticed that Derek Jeter (SS for the NY Yankees) works out at my gym which should get my drooling butt there everyday of the week!!
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Feb-11-02, 23:11
Registered Member

Plan: Atkin's/PP
Stats: 156/138/125
BF:?/32.5%/20%
Progress: 58%
Default Hi Ebeth!

I just wanted to tell you that I FEEL YOUR PAIN! I was reading posts tonight to get a little inspiration because I'm back on the LC wagon starting tomorrow.

It's hard to get started again but I am setting myself up with short term goals: get past the first few days until the sugar is out of my system, then look to finish out the 2 weeks. after that it does get easier and with a real sense of accomplishment. I will continue to look at short term goals along the way so I can reach my more long term goal of getting closer to my goal weight by my 30th birthday

Even if I don't make my goal weight I know I will feel better and look better because I always do when I'm LC'ing!!!

I noticed that we have similar statistics and I know if you get focused you can make this goal happen for you and before your wedding

If you want and e-mail buddy let me know I can use the extra support too!

I LOVE THIS WEB-SITE!!!!
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Feb-11-02, 23:17
Registered Member

Plan: Atkin's/PP
Stats: 156/138/125
BF:?/32.5%/20%
Progress: 58%
Default PS:

Derek Jeter!

Hubba-Hubba!!!
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Feb-12-02, 04:50
Registered Member

Plan: None right now
Stats: 150/144/130 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 30%
Exclamation

Hi, I'm new here but not to Atkins. I was on the same boat last year, fell off the wagon and every time I tried my sugar cravings would get the better of me, I was completely out of control and VERY depressed.

What I did, and I hope it helps you too, was first try to get those cravings under control gradually. For that I used the Carbohydrate Addict Diet (CAD) which allows a "reward" meal. I did this for a few days, eating chocolate every night on top of my healthy meal. Around day 3 the chocolates started to taste too sweet so I knew I was on my way. I did this in December so I had a little trouble on X'mas day but the next day I went completely sugar free and the next week I lost 4-5 lbs. even though I was not really on "Induction". In preparation, I went shopping for all the necessary Atkins "staples" plus a "stash" of low-carb bars (I only eat 1/2 of one when needed and not every day). I also baked mini-cheesecakes with Splenda and fixed S/F gelatin.

However, I have to say that when I cut back my carbs my weight loss dwindled away and then stopped after 2 more lbs. I just found out that a certain amount of carbs is needed for the liver to convert thyroid hormone to its most active form and I'm slightly hypothyroid which left me at a disadvantage. Most of the time people who can't lose are told to cut their carbs even further but in many cases that's probably worse. I thought I'd add that just in case...

Best wishes,
Raquel

Last edited by Raquel : Tue, Feb-12-02 at 04:56.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Feb-12-02, 13:33

BF:

Thanks (agian) for all your support and advice. I also love this website to find comfort in this struggle to have a better "way of life"! I would love to email Shaneice...do we just post our address or do we put it in some secret "bat" place?? (We have conference night tonight at school and I'll miss Derek )