Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-30-02, 12:42
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 225/196/135
BF:
Progress: 32%
Default How do you handle SABOTAGE???

My hubby is always trying to sabotage me, and has in the past, anyone have any good tips? Thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-30-02, 13:01
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins HIGHLY Modified
Stats: 247/195/135
BF:
Progress: 46%

It depends on precisely how he's attempting it. Franklly I'd sit down and have a heart to heart with him about his behavior reassuring him that even at a lower, AND more attractive to other males, weight I'd still be his. Further wouldn't he be happy to have such a beautiful me on his arm

Then since it's proably a little deep seated when he did something I'd remind him of our talk and this behavior. If he kept up his sabotaging ways I'd begin fighting back.
Jo
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-30-02, 13:04

Plan: atkins
Stats: 188/139/140
BF:
Progress: 102%

I agree with Jo..I wonder if he is concerned that if U lose weight U will look for someone else. The silly thing is..doesnt matter what weight a person is..if they want, they can ALWAYS find someone...I would reassure him, and ask him why he is trying to get U to eat things U shouldnt and then explain to him how important this wol is to U.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-30-02, 13:21
Registered Member

Stats: 140/119/112
BF:
Progress: 75%
Default Along those lines...

Being a die-hard Oprah fan...

Oprah said, on one of her shows recently, that people are fine with your success until you surpass their expectations of you in comparison to them. Then they become critical---which could lead to sabotage.

While and since I've lost my weight, my husband has been mostly good but at times becomes, uh, unsupportive. I get through the moment but later talk with him on how we could both be better. Just like everything else in marriage, it takes a lot of compromise and collaboration to get it right.

Now, my MOTHER is a different story! She showed up on Christmas with HUGE BAGS of cookies, fudge, and heavenly bon bons ---something she's never done in the past--- knowing full well that I don't (ahem, well, SHOULD NOT) do sugar. I fell off that wagon hard. Wish I could be stronger and she could be more considerate. I know she hates how thin I've gotten, particularly when she's at an all-time high weight. I know I need to talk with her before her next visit...

Good luck with your situation. Be strong!

Regards,
K.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jan-30-02, 16:05

Plan: mostly paleo
Stats: //
BF:also don't care
Progress: 100%

great question! I think a lot of people have saboteur problems, and talking out the underlying reason for it with the saboteur is a great idea. Other thoughts:

If he's simply in the habit of showing love/thinking about you with a food gift, ask him to switch to inexpensive flowers or magazine instead. That way, he still gets to be thoughtful and kind.

Give him another alternative to be caring. Say, "instead of buying me food, I'd like it ever so much more if you read this book," and hand him your LC book.

Accept the gift, say, "Thanks--I don't want it right this second," then later, when he's doing something else, run it down the garbage disposal. Worst case scenario is him catching you at it? Then at least he knows how serious you are about not eating junk.
If those don't work, I'd switch tactics...maybe don't say anything--no refusal, no thank you, no explanation. Perhaps he's trying to (for some unconscious reason) get a rise out of you, and if you don't give it to him, he may abandon that tactic.

HTH, and best of luck to you!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jan-30-02, 16:19

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 220/205/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%
Default It can be frustrating

My co-workers took me to lunch for my birthday, so I chose a place where I could get a big salad and grilled chicken.

My co-workers consist of one other woman and three men.

After lunch the woman had the waiter come over so I could get a complimentary piece of pie. I ask the others what type of pie would they like as I couldn't eat any starches.

The woman started arguing loudly that it was birthday, the pie was sugar free and I should order. Thankfully the guys at the table tried to tell her I didn't want the carbs and I was saying I didn't need the carbs. She continued, getting louder and louder until I sat there just staring at one of the guys who ordered the piece of pie and took it home to his wife.

It's difficult when there is someone who constantly tries to sabotage you, but it's my life and my health and thankfully my choice.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jan-30-02, 16:19
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

In addition to what has been offered thus far, there's an additional angle I'd like to point out.

No one can really sabotage you, except yourself. We do sabotage ourselves by taking the bait, when the opportunity arise, and sometime even create the opportunity.

Why would one try to sabotage their efforts? Because we get something out of it, without knowing it. If you're working hard on losing weight, endulgance in no-no's may give you a break from the effort involved in sticking to it. After the fact, "he/she tempted me" also offers an excuse to why I didn't stick to it and stand my ground, thus releiving me from facing the fact that I didn't stick to it.

The above can go on in cycle, until it's broken by recognizing the real reason why we allow ourselves to sabotage our efforts, and dealing with the underlying issues to break this cycle.

Wa'il
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jan-30-02, 19:12

Stats: 217/205/110 Female 58"
BF:
Progress: 11%

Spoken like a Dr. Phil fan!

I agree with you. The bottom line lies within you, not with anyone else.

Deanna
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Feb-01-02, 20:11
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Quote:
Originally posted by deelight_99
Spoken like a Dr. Phil fan!

Actually, it's from Wayne Dyer, another great author from the 70's