Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jan-19-03, 16:09
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Kinda
Stats: 338/280/230
BF:
Progress: 54%
Arrow Carbless Corn

i am search of carbless corn... especially the baby corn found in chineese dishes...

anyway... me and micki were at the corn crib in corndelphia the other day and we courious of the marketability of carb free corn...

carb free roasted corn at the fair... carb free sweet corn at the farm stand... carb free cornbread at the diner... and so on...

more later...

iggy
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jan-20-03, 15:43

Plan: Atkins, Newcastle
Stats: 260/221.8/165 Female 5'3"
BF:Highest weight 260
Progress: 40%

I don't know if there is a no carb corn, but I seem to recall reading that the original maize eaten by American Indians was much less sweet and very much higher in fiber than the bloated hybrid they sell today. It was probably a pretty good food. Does anyone know if it's still possible to buy 'Indian corn'.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jan-24-03, 14:56
Registered Member

Plan: somersize/atkins
Stats: 172/160/140
BF:
Progress: 38%

There are all types of corn on the market today. Indian Corn was multi colored and we now grow it for decorative use, in thanksgiving arrangements. You can also use it for corn meal, 'hominy', corn flour and for animal feed. It would still be very high in starch and taste very bland , so as a sweet corn substitute it would not be very good or low carb. I think us low carbers will have to do without corn. Interestingly enough, it was the native Americans that selected corn varieites through centuries of cultivation to arrive at the large, sweet cobs that are so popular today. Of course modern selections, have made them super sweet.