Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Aug-21-03, 14:44

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Magnesium - why you should be taking it

I was doing a little supplement surfing today and I found something that should be shared. If you've read Protein Power Lifeplan then you know all about magnesium and why it's so vital to your health, if you havent (or if like me, you've forgot some of it!) then the article linked to below is a must, IMHO.

Here is an excerpt:

The processing of food results in large losses of vital nutrients. For example, white bread contains about 40% less magnesium than whole wheat bread. In addition, since World War II, the amount of magnesium in our food has steadily declined due to farming methods and the use of fertilizers that only replenish nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium (9-BK). Thus, there is reason to doubt whether even the best diet can provide an optimum amount of magnesium.

"In developed countries, the Mg [magnesium] intake [from food] is often marginal and the Mg intake coming from drinking water represents the critical factor through which the Mg intake is deficient or satisfactory . . . all [Mg studies have] shown a reverse correlation between cardiovascular mortality [death] and the Mg level"

Isn't that amazing? Unless you take supplements or eat an extraordinarily good diet, you are participating in the magnesium lottery -- gambling your life on the quality of the WATER in your town. Yikes! When you hear some "expert" parroting the old line about how we *can* get all the nutrients that we need from food, what they are really saying -- to the vast majority of people -- is that instead of taking supplements (the dangerous practice of "self-medication" ), we should just hope and/or pray that there is enough magnesium in the water. If you listen to these clowns, you are playing the magnesium lottery. And if you get a losing ticket in THIS lottery, you die.

"It is now becoming clear that a lower than normal dietary intake of Mg [magnesium] can be a strong risk factor for hypertension, cardiac arrhythmias, ischemic heart disease, atherogenesis and sudden cardiac death. Deficits in serum Mg appear often to be associated with arrhythmias, coronary vasospasm and high blood pressure" (15).

Lets put this in perspective. Scientists have found that "In developed countries, the Mg [magnesium] intake is often marginal" (1). Thus, people who follow restricted diets are VERY likely to have a magnesium deficiency -- even if they luck out and get a decent amount of magnesium from their water. Winning the magnesium lottery is definitely not enough -- especially if you diet, exercise, or take the ECA stack.

Obviously, if you follow a restricted diet, it would be nuts not to take magnesium supplements. However, you should also take potassium supplements because they work together to protect your health (16, 17). Less well known is the fact that exercise lowers magnesium levels (10, 25, 27). One study found that strenuous exercise lowers magnesium levels for 3 months (27), and a rat study found that even a minor magnesium deficiency caused a large reduction in exercise capacity (26).

Dr. Michael Colgan works with a lot of athletes and he has found that athletes are likely to test normal even though they are really magnesium deficient:

"Magnesium status is difficult to measure in athletes in training. Red blood cells contain three times the magnesium of blood serum, and hemolysis (destruction of red cells) in athletes caused by exercise, falsely elevates serum magnesium levels" (9-BK).

A medical article titled "Refractory potassium repletion. A consequence of magnesium deficiency" explains how diuretics flush a lot more than potassium out of your system -- and if (when) you get low in magnesium, you will be unable to retain potassium:

"Patients with hypertension and with congestive heart failure appear to be at special risk for magnesium depletion because diuretics are commonly prescribed in treatment . . . Experimental and clinical observations support the view that uncorrected magnesium deficiency impairs repletion of cellular potassium . . . consideration should be given to treating hypokalemic [low potassium] patients with both magnesium as well as potassium to avoid the problem of refractory potassium repletion due to coexisting magnesium deficiency" (19).

There is more and you can read it here:

The Magnesium Lottery

Cheers,
-Nat
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Aug-21-03, 15:08

Plan: Started Atkins 3/17/03 now CKD
Stats: 145/113/115 Female 65
BF:54%/21%/18%
Progress: 107%

Nat,
Thanks for sharing!!! Awesome article. You never cease to amaze me with your "wealth" of information and your willingness to share unconditionally. You have helped me and SO many others on these boards. Wish I could return the favor somehow.
Thanks again
Jo
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 17:12

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 225/190.5/150 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 46%
Default Are you flushing your potassium?

Oh I lost my first long post. I would like to suggest that anyone looking for good information do a search with Natrushka in the byline as she has researched so much information for us all.
I was looking up Potassium /Magnesium links and here is agreat article.
A further quote from the link above.
"Patients with hypertension and with congestive heart failure appear to be at special risk for magnesium depletion because diuretics are commonly prescribed in treatment . . . Experimental and clinical observations support the view that uncorrected magnesium deficiency impairs repletion of cellular potassium . . . consideration should be given to treating hypokalemic [low potassium] patients with both magnesium as well as potassium to avoid the problem of refractory potassium repletion due to coexisting magnesium deficiency"
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 17:57

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

People with high blood pressure who are taking ACE Inhibitors for the BP SHOULD NOT TAKE ANY EXTRA POTASSIUM!!!!!

ACE Inhibitors do not deplete a person's potassium the way other diuretics and BP meds do. Please be sure about your own medication before you begin to take supplements. Check with your doctor or other health care provider.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 18:11

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 308/247.5/182 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 48%

As a borderline diabetic, i've been taking Magnesium, Alpha Lipoic Acid, and Brewer's Yeast (Chromium). I was also taking Potassium, but it gave me pains in my chest. The first time I took it, I got a pain in my chest as if someone punched my heart. After that there was a continual ache/pain from my heart.

Potassium is no joke and can cause SOME people to have heart problems. Most people don't need it (esp. if you are taking magnesium), talk to your doctor before self perscribing it!!

My 2 cents.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 22:23

Stats: 225/190.5/150 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 46%

Unbelievable I just did it again, lost my last post!!! Typing is not my forte'

What I replied was better but I will try again..
Tofi I agree with you no one should be taking supplements who are under doctor supervision. Over the counter drugs and health store supplements can definitely cause problems or be dangerous if taken wrong or mixed with other substances or drugs.
I would again suggest reading the article and the link above http://www.drumlib.com/dp/000014.htm and I quote from page four

"It is well known that ACE inhibitors "have an important magnesium conserving action" (31). In fact, the improvement in insulin sensitivity caused by ACE inhibitor drugs is related to their ability to increase magnesium levels and improve the calcium/magnesium ratio (32). Magnesium supplements have been recommended as an adjunct to prescription calcium channel blockers in treating hypertensive patients "

What I was taking from the article was that before you start taking potassium you should be aware that you could be low on Magnesium. I am sure that many would agree that people will tell you to up your potassium if you are feeling dizzy or lethargic while low-carbing. Especially during induction (atkins). If you are low on Magnesium your body may not be able to uptake the potassium.

In any event you should discuss any supplementation with a health care practicioner (I prefer pharmacist's) before self prescribing! At the least do your own RESEARCH so that you are making educated decisions about your health.

Isn't it amazing how much information is spread throughout this forum. Going strong since 01 I think?