Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 22:21

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 165/160/140 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress:
Thumbs up Newbie With some Questions

Hello All!
My name is Kerri and I am a 21 year old student. I started the Atkins about a week ago. I have a few questions about dos and donts. When I eat salads am I not allowed to use regular lettuce? Also I have been eating sugarfree jello as a snack. Is this a bad thing? I need help because I see some results but not many. I have also been drinking idet coke. I find myself worried to eat lots of fat. I have never been on a diet that allows you to eat this much fat and I am worried. I am also a seafood lover. Am I allowed to eat shell fish such as shrimp ? I need a mentor and or a buddy that can answer these questions for me. It would be great to have someone IM me from aol. My screen name is KBLegal1.....Please someone help!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 23:06
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Kerri, welcome!

The first thing I'm going to suggest is that you get yourself a copy of Dr Atkins' New Diet Revolution. All of your questions will be answered there.

Swiching to a low carb eating plan is such a radical departure that trying to do it without arming yourself first with the appropriate information is all but a recipe for failure. So first thing, buy the book, and read it well.

You can eat any sort of lettuce at all - just bear in mind that iceberg lettuce doesn't have as many nutrients as other lettuces such as cos/romaine.

Yes, you can have diet jello.

Diet Coke is not recommended for two reasons. Dr A suggests not to use aspartame (Nutrasweet or Equal) which is used to sweeten Diet Coke. Partly due to the fact that there are question marks about its long term safety, partly because it can slow weight loss for many people. The other reason is caffeine. Dr A strongly prefers we give up caffeine as it can produce an insulin reaction.
Having said all that, some folk do drink Diet Coke and still lose okay.

Reading the book should also be able to reassure you that fat is no longer the "enemy."

Yes, you can eat shrimp.

All the best to you, Kerri.

Rosebud
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Aug-02-03, 08:37

Plan: Low Carb/Low Calish
Stats: 190/140.5/145 Female 5'7"
BF:30%/24.7%/22%
Progress: 110%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebud
Hi Kerri, welcome!

Swiching to a low carb eating plan is such a radical departure that trying to do it without arming yourself first with the appropriate information is all but a recipe for failure. So first thing, buy the book, and read it well.

Rosebud

This is so true. You must get the book to totally understand...
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Aug-04-03, 01:54

Stats: 315/275/180 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 30%
Thumbs up Eating lots of fat/lettuce

Kerri,
My name is Loren,you can refer to my profile and email me. I am also new to this forum but I was patient of Dr Atkins and would be happy to be your buddy. If you dont have the book please go get it, you can buy it in paper back its great.

Dont worry about eating fats just the bad carbs or to many good carbs. Fat is not your enemy its your friend, it will send a signal to your brain that you are satisfied unlike the low fat way of eating which I did for the last 15 years. Doesnt work long term and not healthy. You are welcome to email me and well discuss it further.

Good luck.

Last edited by DALLASGAL : Mon, Aug-04-03 at 01:56. Reason: posted twice
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Aug-04-03, 15:27

Stats: 202/128/125 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 96%

I agree with Dallasgal (by the way I'm jealous that she actually knew Dr. Atkins.) I had to completely change my thinking about diets. I was big time low fat, low calorie and guess what? I was over 200 lbs when I started this diet because low fat, low calorie wasn't sustainable for me. I could lose but I was always hungry and would start eating again. It's hard to get all the years of thinking one way out of our mind but trust me, this works! I am not hungry on this diet because of the fat and not counting every little calorie so I can stay on this for life. This is my diet salvation. Good luck! By the way...my weight loss of 39 lbs. is from less than 9 weeks of Atkins. Now don't compare with me because everyone is different. Just wanted to reaffirm that this works!