Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-08-04, 19:49
Italian Goddess

Plan: atkins
Stats: 255/199/150 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 53%
Default serious question about supplements

I get so confused as to what to take, I take a multi and calcium supplement. Can you share what you take and what it's for? I'd like that very much.

Thanks,
Krista
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jan-08-04, 19:58

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 202/128/125 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 96%

I take a multi plus extra calcium. I also take potassium and magnesium because I was having bad leg cramps and they prevent them. I take some extra vit. C to hopefully help me avoid colds but I don't think it has helped much since I've been sick twice recently. I take extra vit. E too. I have just recently added echinacea & goldenseal because Dr. Atkins recommends it for colds in his Vita-Nutrient Solution book.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jan-08-04, 20:29

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

I take a multi for just in case I am deficent in something, a calcium/magnesium/zinc/vitamin D because they all work together, a potassium to prevent cramps, a vitamin C because I liked Dr. Pauling and he might have been right, and a coenzyme 10 Q because I was on a statin.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jan-08-04, 20:45

Plan: Atkins OWL 30g
Stats: 150/135/125 Female 66"
BF:?/18%/15%
Progress: 60%

I have not been on this forum very long and am not the voice of experience, but this is what I am taking based upon my low-carb diet readings:

1) a multivitamin (I just use 1-A Day for Women)
2) Atkins Dieter's Advantage -- these supplements supposedly curb your appetite but I haven't noticed any difference, and they're expensive. I'll probably cut them out when the bottle runs out.
3) Atkins Essential Oils -- these are gel capsules which contain omega 3s and omega 6s, as well as linoleic acid, all very important, esp. when one is dieting. You can buy them separately, but I liked the Atkins brand because everything's in one capsule.
4) Calcium/Magnesium with Zinc -- the multivitamin I take has some of these vitamins, but I needed more because I was experiencing leg cramps.
5) Potassium -- again, the amounts in a multivitamin are negligible; I need more due to the leg cramping.
6) L-Carnitine -- I have been reading about this in a number of low carb books. Refer to Fran McCullough's Low-Carb Living for an excellent explanation of what L-Carnitine does. There is almost universal agreement that L-Carnitine aids in burning body fat.

I'm thinking about also taking vitamin E, but to be honest, I feel like I can't swallow any more pills! I had to buy a divided pill box just to keep track of what I'm supposed to take, when.

HTH
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jan-08-04, 23:54
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

What you are taking is fine. If you experience muscle cramps or aches, you might want to suppliment with pottasium. You might also want to look into magnesium. Just make sure all your vitamins are sugar, starch, and yeast free.

What really helped me was fitday. You click on the reports section and it has a report "Am I meeting my nutritional needs" It will show you how much you are getting of each nutrient and whre you could use to suppliment if you are regularly getting too little.

The book recomends against iron, but I found through fitday I was constnatly well below the RDA for iron, so I have a multii vitamin that contains it.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jan-09-04, 00:07

Plan: Cyclic Ketogenic Diet (Ti
Stats: 212/149/140 Male 5'7
BF:
Progress: 88%

Been successful going with... (lost 52.5lbs wooohooo!)

- Men's one-a-day multivitamins
- vitamin E
- vitamin C
- 3 times a day 1000mg flax-seed oil

and just recently started taking (2weeks ago)
- CLA 600mg 3times a day
- Green tea extract
- GNC Isoburst Whey Protein 39grams protein 2scoops once a day
(holy crap these 3 have kick started my weight-loss and muscle gain again WOOOHOOO!)
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jan-09-04, 00:15
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

rice_boi - Just be careful with the green tea. The caffine in it can dehydrate you if you're not drinking enough.

You're also a guy and weight lifting, so that also helps your muscle building. You'll probably start going up in weight here as you build up instead of losing more
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jan-09-04, 01:43

Stats: 207.4/198.0/165 Male 64"
BF:39%/39%/29%
Progress: 22%
Smile Supplements Being Taken..

To make things easier on myself I decided to take "Atkins Core-4" supplements. The following is what I take on a daily basis.

3-Accel
3-Basic 3
4-Dieters Advantage
2-Essential Oils

I realize that they cost a little bit more than other non-brand name supplements, but my local vitamin store (Vitamin World) had a special going on. Buy one at the regular price.. and get the second one 50% off.

With this type of a deal, it turned out that the "Atkins" supplements now cost the same as everyone elses. That being the case, I bought two boxes of everything that I listed earlier.

So far I've lost 10.6 lbs. in a week. Not bad.. considering this is my first diet I've ever tried.

Dakota Duce

#9   ^
Old Fri, Jan-09-04, 06:53
Kid R

Plan: Maintenance
Stats: // Female 5"1'
BF:Too darn much!
Progress: 90%

Dodger (or anyone else), what's the coenzyme 10 Q for? I was also on a statin.

Also, for anyone who's taken CLA, does it work? It's supposed to help you get rid of fat around the tummy, right?

I take a multi and supplement it with calcium, vitamin C, fish oil, and folic acid. Any other recommendations for weight lifting?

Thanks!
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Jan-09-04, 07:56

Plan: Charles Clark/Atkins
Stats: 164/161/124 Female 5' 4"
BF:28%/28%/21%
Progress: 8%

I tried CLA for about a month - but got a bit freaked out because it sent my blood pressure up! BUT my parents have both been taking it for months and haven't had a problem.

Honestoly though I didn't see any great increase on weight loss - but that is just me!

Just started taking vitamins (up until now I don't take any)

3-Accel
3-Basic 3
4-Dieters Advantage
2-Essential Oils

I just bought the atkins starter pack for £20 which included these tablets for a 14 day trial - I will let you know how it goes - day 1 today.

Other than peeing green!!!! and feeling a little queasey I am fine

Sarah
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Jan-09-04, 13:31

Stats: 213/163.5/130 Female 5'
BF:
Progress: 60%

A multivitamin w/minerals once a day.
Calcium/Magnesium twice a day.
Potassium twice a day.
Chromium once a day.
Biotin once a day.
L-Carnitine twice a day.
COQ10 twice a day.
Fish oil once a day.
And to top it off, E and C once a day.

Boy, do I rattle.

Lost 51 lbs so far, so I'm not changing anything. Have some CLA, but waiting to take it until closer to goal and the weight loss starts slowing down.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Jan-09-04, 17:04

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

RoseTattoo,

The book "The Protein Power Lifeplan" by the Eades doctors has a good explanation of the effect of the statins on CoQ10. The same chemical that the statins block in the one that makes CoQ10. CoQ10 is used by the muscles especially the heart.