Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Apr-26-04, 15:37

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 168/138/130 Female 5'4"
BF:?/27%/15% maybe?
Progress: 79%
Question How do you keep your goals realistic and do mini goals really help?

I've noticed that a ton of you have all these little mini goals. How do you forcast how much is possible to loose so that you don't overestimate how much you can loose by a certain date and set yourself up for failure? I'm afraid that I would have no clue what's really possible for me and would goof and then get frustrated. I haven't ever tried goal setting except for getting my ham license. That's the only "goal" I tried and met cuz I had to or the question pool would have changed. hehe So my "goal weight" is my only weight loss goal I have and even then there's no time limit for it. So...does it really help? How should I go about it if I want to try? Annie
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Apr-26-04, 15:43

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 240/198/160 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 53%

I find that setting goal dates is setting oneself up for disappointment, because all sorts of unexpected problems can and do arise. However minigoals do in fact really help me. I find that recognizing that I've lost round figures like, say, 20 pounds really cheers me up. Or the time I did a little math and realized I was at the 25% lost mark, that really made me happy.

So I'm all for setting minigoals, but be patient and let yourself take time to get there.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Apr-26-04, 15:59

Stats: 250/-/- Female 5'0
BF:
Progress: 22%

I haven't necessarily set a date mini-goal, but rather a weight mini-goal. My first mini-goal is lose 25 pounds. I am two pounds away from that now. My next mini-goal will be to lose 40 pounds and so on. Then after that will be to get under 200. I guess I make them as I go so I don't get discouraged by looking at the big picture and thinking that I will never lose over 100. I have to keep myself motivated and if I dwell on losing over 100 pounds then 25 doesn't seem like I lost so much, but when I reach the mini-goal it just excites me and keeps me going to reach the next one. Hopefully, before I know it, I will have lost over 100. To each his own. This works for me.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Apr-26-04, 16:13

Stats: 282.6/273.1/225 Male 6' 3"
BF:34/33/17%
Progress: 16%

The mini goals are one of the things that have helped keep me motivated. I also use the Fitday software to track my results, which helps me see how my body shape is changing as well. I also have a body fat scale that helps me see the trend in my body fat %.

The clinic I visit helped me set 'mini goals'.

At first they used the standard weight loss chart for starting weight vs calories eaten/calories burned.

The goals they set for me were pretty low and I exceeded them easily.

Since then, they've adjusted my goals a bit and its a little more realistic, but I'm still beating the curve. They suggested the 254lbs by May 1st, but I hit that goal a week ahead of schedule.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Apr-26-04, 16:34

Stats: 231/170.5/140 Female 64
BF:Scared to know ?
Progress: 66%

Mini-Goals are an absolute must for me too. I usually do not associate a specific date with them. They are more like everyone else has mentioned - just targets I won't to meet and I celebrate them by treating myself to something nice - NOT FOOD!!!
Mini-Goas for me:
10 pounds
25 pounds
ONEDERLAND
40 pounds
50 pounds - Just hit this one as of today and I will be getting a manicure and a pedicure one evening next week in celebration!
It really helps to motivate me to always know I have an attainable goal in front of me.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Apr-26-04, 17:58
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

My mini goals help me stay focused. I am not that concerned with the date (Though I would like to be near goal for my birthday in november)

I set up 150 lbs by the end of the summer. if I lose at a rate of 5 lbs a month I should be able to reach it. I dont think its too unrealistic as long as I make sure I stick to the gym and remain focused.

I also plan on dancing again 1-2 nights a week starting this week which should help keep me active.

My other goals are exercise goals. One of the things I am working on is running while skipping rope. It keeps me focused and its a total rush for me. Skipping rope helps me with my coordination and supposedly is good for the shoulders too. I can go for about 5-7 minutes running/sprinting while jumping rope outside on the street up and down hills. So I want to slowly push it to 10 minutes and then increase my minigoal to 15. I have no set date, just something I would like to accomplish.

Butterfly is the other one for me. I am EXTREMELY large chested and top heavy (but not middle heavy oddly enough) I spend a lot of energy trying to tone and tighten my arms (triceps) my shoulders, my upper back and my chest area which has no muscle tone.

Currently I can do 2 sets of 40 at 20 lbs and 1 at 10 lbs. My mini is to be able to do 3 sets of 40 at 30 lbs hopefully by the middle of summer. I do the butterfly 2 days a week and I do pushups daily whenever I get a chance here and there.

They are my inspiration, and if I dont meet them as soon as I like I keep plugging away, because I know eventually I will and I am not in a race.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Apr-26-04, 20:00

Plan: LC
Stats: 200/000/000 Female 5.5
BF:
Progress: 100%

............NA.....
Those....little mini goals....NEVER help me !!!....
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Apr-27-04, 01:05

Stats: 234/160.8/150 Female 173
BF:37%/27%/23%
Progress: 87%

I like to know I have acheived something, so that is why I do look forward to a goal of some kind. Working from one to the next does help me.

Like others I dont associate a date with it, but I am hopeful it happens quick!
My goals were:

20 lbs
30 lbs
less then my 6 year old daughter 34 lbs
Onderland
less than my husband
Be in the 190s
Be in the 180s
All of them have been done.

Now, I am setting "looking forward to" goals of:

50 lbs (4 lbs to go)
Being in the 170s
Being 80 kilos, (176 lbs, wedding day weight 20 years ago)
Being int the 160s
Then the countdown to goal of 150.
10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 etc.

I also bought a dress that is too small and try it on about twice a week. When I got it, I could not get it on. Now, I can just button it. Next I can wear it. I can wait for little goals!

Maybe try it and see. I think the only way to be dissapointed it to associate them with a time limit.

Your obvious next goal is to be in the 140s only one lb to go! Wahoo for you! Surely, your excited for that? Maybe as your so close to goal you can go is smaller steps to set yours.

Well, good luck finding what is best for you.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Apr-27-04, 02:12
PuertoRican Princess

Stats: 299/236/135 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 38%

Mini goals always help me. I keep mine realistic though. I was averaging 10 pounds a month so a mini goal was always for that amount. I take it 10 pounds at a time.

I don't think setting goals is setting yourself up for disappoinment. How will you ever know if you could have done it if you don't try?

Good luck,
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Apr-27-04, 04:15

Stats: 168/138/130 Female 5'4"
BF:?/27%/15% maybe?
Progress: 79%

Thanks alot. I think the 140's is a good choice. I was thinking of it being "have 20 lbs lost" but that would be 2 lbs instead of one. hehe Gosh...it's like playing games with your mind. I actually was cleaning out the coat closet and digging way back in there to grab some old grocery bags when I noticed a familiar piece of fabric in the form of a long tie. I followed it upwards only to find it was attached to a dress. This dress is one I haven't worn since before we got married. You see, I was pregnant 3 months after we got married almost 10 yrs ago and now my oldest is about to turn 9. This and 2 more dresses in there were short mini skirt type dresses with princess waists and they were size small. I know I was wearing a size 7 dress back then and had, believe it or not, a 24 inch waist. Those were the dresses I caught my man with. hehe Anyways, I tried them on and they were defenitely tight but I can see now that they're actually within reach. I just have to start doing those darn stomach crunch's. Annie
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Apr-27-04, 04:22
PuertoRican Princess

Stats: 299/236/135 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 38%

YOU CAN DO IT ANNIE!

Keep up the good work.