Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Sep-25-03, 06:36

Plan: atkins
Stats: 400/333/250 Male 5'9
BF:49.5
Progress: 45%
Default trying to change to decaff coffee?

As many of you know I drink a pot of coffee a day. Some here have been telling me I need to cut that down or at least go decaff. Well I finally found a decaff I can drink. Its called "Gorrilla Decaff' from Wild Oats Grocery store. Its a water processed decaff. I had it today for the first ime and it filled the bill. Not quite as good as what I have roasted for myself but its the best decaff I have ever had.
So how do I do this? Cold turkey? Ween myself off? Mix it with my reg coffee?
Ohh I hate the thought but my body needs it.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Sep-25-03, 06:44

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 135/123.0/120 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 80%

I would gradually wean yourself off, so the caffeine withdrawal is not as fierce. For some time drink 1/2 caf-1/2 decaf (or even work yourself up to that) and gradually increase the amount of decaf each day. Good luck on your LC journey!!!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Sep-25-03, 08:31

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/167/135 Female 5'4"
BF:more than I need!
Progress: 36%

Ive been working on this for the last several weeks myself. So far so good, and not nearly as painful as I thought it would be. Typically, I make my coffee with 5 heaping scoops to 8 cups of water. I started the first week of induction with full strength coffee. The second week I replaced ONE scoop with decaf. Third week 2 scoops. Im down to 2 scoops of regular now and have had NO withdrawl whatsoever. Ive also not really missed the caffiene much.

Atkins ... for me, was a first step in taking better care of myself. Losing the caffiene, is step two. Exercizing more is step three, (and proud to say I started again yesterday now that my toe is healing up). The hardest one is going to be quitting smoking, but thats on the list too.

Best of luck to you!! Glad you found a decaf that you can enjoy!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Sep-25-03, 09:43

Plan: Atkins Diet
Stats: 179/134/135
BF:
Progress: 102%

Just a reminder, not only do you want to avoid the caffeine you need to count the carbs in coffee. Yes, there are carbs in coffee. In a 6oz cup of coffee there is 1g of carbs, decaf or not- so a pot of 10-12 cups contains 10-12g carbs- so is it worth it to you? You might want to drop down to 1-2 cups a day.
God Bless,
Amy-Lynne
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Sep-25-03, 10:00

Yes I know... But it is less than 1 carb not one full carb. And yes its worth it to me. I love my coffee. And at .75 grams a cup, 6 cups is 4.5 grams not 12. I eat 30 grams a day so 4.5 means nothing to me. It my treat. I am not a sweet eater either so these are my feelgood carbs
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Sep-25-03, 10:22
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

Cold turkey didn't work for me! I got such BAD headaches I decided I'll have to trick myself into it...slooooooooowwwwllllyyyyy........

I get frustrated when people keep telling newbies to give up coffee cold turkey WHILE they're going through carb withdrawals to boot, like there's some virtue in feeling like crap! Much better, IMHO to make the changes as easy on your body as possible, it makes for a higher likelihood of a lasting change.

<hopping off soapbox>

Anyhooo.... I'll be joining you in the caffeine withdrawal game, since I let myself get re-hooked on "real" coffee when I quit smoking.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Sep-25-03, 10:24

I agree, I am not a newbie but I agree