Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Apr-05-04, 16:47
There and Back Again

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/194.4/140 Female 5'3"
BF:42%/42%/20%
Progress: 9%
Default Exercise Key to Teen Weight Problem - U.S. Study

Exercise Key to Teen Weight Problem - U.S. Study

1 hour, 33 minutes ago

By Maggie Fox, Health and Science Correspondent

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Exercise may be the key to keeping the pounds off adolescents and may help overweight children reverse some of the harm caused by being fat, two teams of researchers reported on Monday.

The studies bolster the argument that children in rich countries need to get more exercise. In the United States, some 15 percent of children under age 19 are overweight, and many are starting to develop weight-related diseases such as type-II diabetes and heart disease.

A study of more than 850 southern California teenagers and younger children showed that just a bit of vigorous exercise made the difference between being of normal weight and being overweight.

On average, the children with normal weight had four minutes more of vigorous exercise over a single day than the overweight children, the team at the University of California San Diego found.

"This might be an indicator of a more active lifestyle generally," Dr. Kevin Patrick, a professor of family and preventive medicine who led the study, said in a telephone interview.

Children who ate more fruits and vegetables also were less likely to be overweight, Patrick's team found, and fiber intake better predicted who would be overweight than fat intake did.

"Insufficient physical activity and too much time spent on sedentary behaviors like computer games and watching TV may equal, and even exceed, diet quality as important contributors to overweight in adolescence," Patrick said.

In fact, the normal-weight children consumed slightly more calories than the overweight children, but apparently burned them off, Patrick's team said in the April issue of the American Medical Association's Archives of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine.

Patrick's team chose 878 children age 11 to 15 registered at six San Diego County clinics. They found that nearly half of the children were at risk for becoming overweight or were already overweight by standard measures.

They questioned the children carefully, asked them to write down everything they ate in food diaries, and attached devices to measure how much exercise they got over a day.

They analyzed the group by age, sex, ethnic group, sedentary behavior, vigorous exercise, household income and diet. Of all these measures, only exercise clearly predicted which children would be overweight, Patrick said.

VASCULAR ABNORMALITIES

In the second study, a team at The Chinese University of Hong Kong studied 54 boys and 28 girls with an average age of just under 10. All were either overweight or obese.

At age 9, tests of their blood vessel function "matched those of a 45-year-old adult who had been smoking for more than 10 years," said Dr. Kam Woo, who led the study.

"We were surprised that the children had developed vascular abnormalities at such a young age -- and by how readily these could be reversed with simple lifestyle measures," said Woo, whose study is published in this week's issue of the American Heart Association (news - web sites) journal Circulation.

All the children met with a dietitian twice a week and followed a 900- to 1,200-calorie diet that was low in fat and high in fruits, vegetables and whole grains.

Some children were led by a trainer through a 75-minute program twice a week that included aerobics and other exercises.

After six weeks, all the children narrowed their waists, lowered their cholesterol and had healthier arteries. But the blood vessel improvement was more marked in those who exercised.

After a year, the children who stuck with the exercise program had a major improvement in one measure of heart disease risk -- the thickness of the carotid artery, the researchers said. They also had less body fat and lower cholesterol levels.

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Apr-05-04, 16:51
There and Back Again

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/194.4/140 Female 5'3"
BF:42%/42%/20%
Progress: 9%
Talking Notes.

I firmly believe that exercise is altogether more powerful than diet alone in controlling obesity. It certainly has corrective properties that will allow more of an abundance of carbs and other calories without as much harm to the body.

It is interesting to note how little of a difference there is between an overweight and a normal weight child. 4" of vigorous exercise and more calories is what they concluded for normal kids.

Also note the difference between the "fiber" and "fat" intake predictors. I think this is very close to low carb theories, as foods higher in fiber tend to have a lower glycemic load.

Also note that the children who "stuck with the exercise" were the ones who succeeded... they didn't say children who "stuck with the diet."
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Apr-06-04, 04:31
Ex-Patriot

Plan: CAD-ish
Stats: 232.5/199/168 Female 5'2"
BF:no/earthly/clue
Progress: 52%

Quote:
I firmly believe that exercise is altogether more powerful than diet alone in controlling obesity.

I agree with you. I was a stocky kid, but not fat--until I broke my leg at the age of 5 and was in an ankle-to-hip cast for a while. The pounds piled on at a rate which alarmed my parents, but they and the doctor assumed that the weight would drop off quickly as soon as I could walk and run again.

Unfortunately for me, my body would not release fat as readily as it added it on, even at that age. The endomorph curse. And besides that, I'd gotten into sedentary habits during my long period in the cast. So the weight didn't come off, I became the butt of every joke in my first grade class, and at the age of 7 I got put on my first-ever diet.

As an adult, if I do not exercise vigorously, I cannot keep my weight under control even if I reduce carbs and calories to uncomfortable levels. In my twenties, I could eat and drink whatever I pleased--including things like regular Coke every day, and takeout Chinese twice a week--and as long as I kept up my intense weightlifting and cardio program, I maintained my weight without thinking about food. I'm sure that if I'd paid attention to either my carb or calorie intake, I would have easily lost the 20 or so extra pounds I was carrying around.

It also helped that I lived in New York and as a consequence I walked everywhere. When I moved to Houston and had to drive everywhere, and it wasn't so convenient to go to the gym, my weight started to balloon and eventually I had about 65 - 80 lbs to lose instead of just 20.

Oh well. At least I know what the problem is now, and things are going in the right direction, if more slowly than I would like.