Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Oct-13-01, 17:14
Registered Member

Plan: atkins/ckd
Stats: 190/175/130
BF:
Progress: 25%
Question Good veggies? Side dishes?

I would really like to eat something with meat that is not lettuce cheese or eggs. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Oct-13-01, 18:13
Don't dream it be it

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 292.4/238.4/165 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

How about broccoli? I've made my own dish with broccoli and I put some salsa on it and drape some string cheese bits over it and melt it on top in the oven. Delicious! I'm a fan of canned spinich with vinegar too. Celery with cream cheese? Or the mock danish recipe? I tried it. It came out runny for me so I put it in a muffin tin and got 8 for a doubled recipe, it came out quite good. Some people like asperagus, but I can't get into that. You could vary your salads, have chef one time, make it mexican with some salsa next time, throw some tuna on top, I had a BLT salad last weekend, romaine lettace, tomato, bacon and Miracle Whip, I loved it. Some people make mock potatoes out of cauliflower, again, I don't get into that stuff. There are a bunch of recipes in the recipe sections here. Check it out.

Elihnig
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Oct-13-01, 18:19
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Sharon, our LC Kitchen moderator has started a thread for October on vegetables in the LC Kitchen. Also check Karen's Recipes and Readers Recipes in the ORange Bar at the top of the page as well as Vegetables and Side Dishes in the Low Carb Kitchen.

Karen
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Oct-13-01, 19:30
Registered Member

BF:

I checked the low carb kitchen and recipes before posting here but I'm not really looking for recipes. I like my veggies plain with maybe a touch of butter. I'm looking for a short list of veggies that I can eat with a piece of chicken or steak that isn't high in carbs. Is there such a list?
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Oct-13-01, 19:34
Registered Member

BF:

Elihnig
Thanks for the broccoli suggestion. How much do you normally eat of this.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Oct-13-01, 21:00

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 162/124/120 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 90%

Quote:
Originally posted by essjay
I'm looking for a short list of veggies that I can eat with a piece of chicken or steak that isn't high in carbs. Is there such a list?

Not particularly. But any green veggie is OK: brocolli, kale, cabbage, Chinese cabbage, zucchini, spinach, green beans, etc. Anything you can eat raw, you can steam. Also cauliflower, though technically it's not green. I eat a lot of steamed veg too. If you get tired of butter, try drizzling some dark sesame oil over. Yum!

Rachel
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Oct-14-01, 01:24
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

essjay, if you want to get the answers you want to your questions, it would really help if you asked the right question.

This question is entirely different...

Quote:
Good veggies? Side dishes?
I would really like to eat something with meat that is not lettuce cheese or eggs. Any suggestions?

...from what you asked here:

Quote:
I checked the low carb kitchen and recipes before posting here but I'm not really looking for recipes. I like my veggies plain with maybe a touch of butter. I'm looking for a short list of veggies that I can eat with a piece of chicken or steak that isn't high in carbs. Is there such a list?

There is a list in Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution in the Rules for Induction chapter, so refer to it often.

There also is a list here, but it is green vegetables only from high to low - total carb grams including fiber - that were used as part of our study group project. You can also eat daikon radish, radishes, cucumbers, limited tomatoes and all Chinese green, leafy vegetables. You can also use the Carb Counter on the site and scroll through the list of vegetables from lowest to highest.

How much of them you can eat is purely personal depending upon the level of carbohydrates you require for OWL.

Karen
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Oct-14-01, 16:22
Don't dream it be it

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 292.4/238.4/165 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%
Default Broccoli

I don't actually measure my brocolli, I kind of eyeball it. It's definately more than half a cup, probably closer to a whole cup, but then I'm getting closer to my goal weight and want to start slowing it down a little. I have to confess I eat the spinich, when I have it, by the can. I can't save any for later.

Other good things I like to have are cucumbers and dill pickles (techically they are the same fruit/vegetable), and olives. I bought some pork rinds but I haven't found anything good to dip them in yet. I don't like them plain. I made chocolate mock danishes today, 2 tablespoons of cocoa adds 4 carbs but they were worth it!!!

Elihnig
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Oct-14-01, 20:19

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 287.4/255/155 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 24%
Default Pork rinds

Hi Elihnig

There are lots of things to dip your rinds into: low carb dressings & veggie dips (read labels of course); mayo & mustard (Rachel's favourite)

or try the Smoked Tuna recipe I posted recently. If you don't like a smoked fish flavour then you won't like this.

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...&threadid=21864

In Vancouver I buy flavoured cream cheese in small tubs & these are great - no preparation required if you are in a hurry.

ruth
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Oct-14-01, 20:48
Registered Member

BF:

Oh Sorreeeeeeeeeeeeeee for not asking the right question. Sometimes I think we all just type in knowing what WE mean but unaware that others are not in our head and might not know what WE mean. I realized this and then clarified it in my second post.