Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-27-04, 13:35

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 209/161/150 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 81%
Exclamation purple keto stix....dietary fat vs. stored fat?

this question has been nagging me for awhile...do you think burning dietary fat could turn ketostrips purple? I mean, with the high amounts of fat we eat how do we know it is burning STORED fat that causes the high levels of ketones in urine, and not just the mayo, cream, butter, pork rinds, etc we ate that day????? several people on this board have commented that the more fat they eat, the darker their strips are!!!! Coincidence?????
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jan-27-04, 14:11

Plan: Atkins+coffee
Stats: 290/185/180 Male 71 inches
BF:Yes, it is.
Progress: 95%

It's not a coincidence. ANY fat burning will turn the strips.
Remember, they aren't to gauge how well you are doing, just
if you have reached ketosis. Don't be a slave to them, they are just a tool to use along the way. It doesn't matter if the fat is coming from dinner or from your gut, you are in fat burning mode which is the important part.

--nw
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jan-27-04, 14:19

Plan: Low Carb My Way
Stats: 170/169/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%
Arrow

If you eat a meal of high fat and measure shortly thereafter the probability that some or most of those ketones are dietary fat. I find that my most accurate readings come in the first morning urine. If I show at least pink then I know I'm burning fat. If I measure say 4pm after a high-fat lunch, then its purple and I know that its partially due to the consumption.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jan-27-04, 14:49

BF:

so wouldn't it stand to reason that the more fat we burn from our diets, the less fat we are burning from our gut? I know we are supposed to eat fat liberally on this plan, but can eating too much keep us from burning stored fat?
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jan-27-04, 14:55

Plan: Atkins+coffee
Stats: 290/185/180 Male 71 inches
BF:Yes, it is.
Progress: 95%

Yes, that is why this isn't an "All you can eat" plan. Eat till you are satisfied, not to excess. There is no way to differentiate where the fat you are burning is coming from. What you seem to be leading to is trying to do a low-fat low-carb plan... which is a bad idea.

If you cut the fat, where will your calories come from? If your calorie intake drops too low your body goes into starvation mode, and you will lose nothing.

The recommendation is that 70% of your daily calories comes form fat.

--nw
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jan-27-04, 16:45

BF:

the funny thing is that I know all of this...I've read and re-read the Atkins books a zillion times. I guess I can't help second guessing myself! I don't know what I'm complaining about anyway, I know this wol works....I've lost almost 30 pounds effortlessly! thanks for the replies, though!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jan-27-04, 17:11

Stats: 270/225/145 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 36%

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowonder
Yes, that is why this isn't an "All you can eat" plan. Eat till you are satisfied, not to excess. There is no way to differentiate where the fat you are burning is coming from. What you seem to be leading to is trying to do a low-fat low-carb plan... which is a bad idea.

If you cut the fat, where will your calories come from? If your calorie intake drops too low your body goes into starvation mode, and you will lose nothing.

The recommendation is that 70% of your daily calories comes form fat.

--nw

Actually, here's a quote directly from the Atkins Center--
Quote:
Thank you for your inquiry.

The following may be helpful -

Everyone has a different intake so that giving percentages of protein and fat is not possible. If one controls the gram level of carbohydrates and consumes proteins/fats at amounts to feel satiated, the ratios can vary widely. Since the physiological basis is the deficit of carbs to force the body to burn fats, the exact levels are not important unless you try to do the program without including fats. If you consume excess protein in relation to fats, you might convert up to 40% of that protein to carbs not allowing you to get into fat-burning and stalling your weight loss. When we have created sample menus, the ratio for Induction is generally 5-10% Carb, 35% Protein, 50-60% Fat. As you go from Induction through the phases to maintenance, you must determine your own carb threshold and then scale down the protein/fat percentages in relation to the increased carb level. This is all very individualized so no values can be provided.

Sincerely,
Lisa Candido
Atkins Information Agent
Atkins Nutritionals, Inc
1-800-6 ATKINS

Last edited by OHGal1415 : Tue, Jan-27-04 at 17:12.