Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Feb-05-04, 08:20

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 264.0/146/139 Female 5' 6
BF:
Progress: 94%
Smile May I Introduce Myself?

Hi! I am Volgal (the gal that is a University of Tennessee Volunteer Fanatic) and I have been on Atkins for the last 14 weeks, since October 27, 2003. Prior to that, in May, I was referred by my primary physician to see a surgeon that specializes in gastric-bypass surgeries. At my first meeting with the surgeon, I was informed that I was indeed a candidate for the surgery since I was 100 pounds overweight (I weighed 248 on that day) and since I was on medication for high blood pressure and high cholesterol. From that initial meeting, I then met with two of the required consultants: a registered dietitian who explained to me what my diet would be like following the surgery; and a psychologist who had to write a letter stating that I was fully aware of my decision to have the surgery and that I was sane (rather than being mentally impaired, I assume).

To make a looooooong story short, I was turned down my insurance company for financial coverage of the surgery. From there, I really got depressed and starting eating whatever I wanted whenever I wanted and I even started drinking more than my usual two-three glasses of wine in the evenings. I was feeling sorry for myself and the more sorry I felt, the more I ate.

In August, out of the blue, I decided to stop smoking ~ please don’t ask me why. My husband and I were walking through Walmart one Friday night and I just blurted out: I think I will either stop drinking or stop smoking. My husband just stared at me in disbelief. Whatever or whoever it was that guided me along to the pharmacy counter, I thank you again. When I bought a box of patches and on August 7, 2003 that was the last time a cigarette has been in my mouth ~ ~ and, after smoking 1-2 packs for 40 years, YES, 40 years, that is amazing!!

In October when I had fully gone through the 3-step program with the stop smoking program, I thought to myself ~ okay, I did that, now what? Stop drinking? Go on a diet (again)? I figured since I had not failed in stopping to smoke (and no, I never really had any cravings or problems stopping), that I could succeed in about anything else I wanted to do. BUT, I love food ~ how could I diet again. So, I quit drinking. Now, don’t get me wrong, this was no big deal either, however, my husband (an ex-Tennessee football player) and I have not missed a Tennessee football game (away or in Knoxville) for more than 18 years!! So, therefore, I did miss my drinks at last fall’s tailgating affairs. Nevertheless, alcohol has not touched my lips since October 17, 2003.

Okay, smoking ~ quit, alcohol ~ no more ~ ~ why not go all the way? On Monday, October 27th I was in the most pitiful place a person like us can get ~ rock bottom ~ ~ and really, I think that is what it takes!! From that moment on, I have been a faithful, free-cheating, low-carb Atkins Program follower.

When I saw the gastric-bypass surgeon in June, I weighed 248 ~ by the time I committed to Atkins, I had jumped up to 262 ~ ~ Now, I am in my 15th week of the Atkins Way of Life and I have lost 44 pounds and I have 88 more to lose to get to my goal of 130. I am already 1/3 of the way there!!

Hallelujah!! Praise the Lord!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Feb-05-04, 08:51
90 Days at a Time

Plan: Glycemic Load
Stats: 426/405.2/326 Male 74 in.
BF:
Progress: 21%

Wishing you the best of all things orange. Assuming you really are not into the red and black. Welcome to a really warm and secure place in which to hang your LC hat!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Feb-05-04, 08:59

Plan: atkins
Stats: 220/190/160 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 50%

what a great inspiration! good luck to you as you continue toward your goal! wow!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Feb-05-04, 09:41

Stats: 295/189/185 Male 70"
BF:
Progress: 96%

You are doing great Volgal! You have accomplished so much over the past few months, you must feel fantastic.

BrewWa
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Feb-05-04, 09:52
Healthy Glam'ma

Plan: Atkins-Suzanne Somers
Stats: 280/188/160 Female 67"
BF:weigh/too/much
Progress: 77%
Default Surgery!!

Volgal:
I really enjoyed reading your story on how you overcame your addictions, and began the healing process!
I must say, I very glad you did not go through with the surgery. I did, 15 years ago! Had I known what I know now, I would have sought out another way.
My surgery was initially supposed to remove my gall bladder, and the surgeon said I was a good candidate for a stomach staple. Easy weight loss I thought!
It was a difficult 4 months following the surgery, and eventally I lost 63 pounds.
But, problems that got my weight up, didn't go away, and so over a period of 5 years, I eventually regained the weight! Now, I have a scar that runs from below the breast line to my waist.
However, in recent years, I have managed to heal the problems that caused the weight gain in the first place, and it has made my new WOE much easier.
My daughter-in-law found Dr. Atkins book, while trying to lose some post-pregnancy weight and shared it with me. That was last July. I have lost 52 pounds since then, and will continue WOE for the rest of my life. GOOOOO, Low Carb.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Feb-05-04, 10:00

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Amazing story. Congratulations on your loss and continued success at reaching your desired goals.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Feb-05-04, 10:45
living kaizen

Stats: 510/406/195 Male 6 feet baby...
BF:
Progress: 33%

That's a fantastic story. I know everyday I do this is a step further away from the bariatric surgeon, so I know exactly what you mean. Awesome job!
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Feb-05-04, 11:09

Stats: 264.0/146/139 Female 5' 6
BF:
Progress: 94%
Default Thanks

THANKS TO EACH OF YOU WHO HAVE RESPONDED.

I have been on the Atkins forum for the last month, but some of them only have 10-20-30 or 40 pounds to lose.

And they are really a bunch of complainers too when they reach a plateau.

The way of working through a plateau for me is:

I may not be losing at this moment, but at least I am not gaining
~
I am not starving
~
and, I am happy.

I WILL lose the remaining weight
~
I did not put it on overnight,
and I will not lose it overnight!!
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Feb-05-04, 11:23

Stats: 295/247/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Doing what you have done with the quitting smoking, drinking, and now weight loss are all amazing feats! You are doing an awesome job. I too am on this WOE for health reasons and was being pressured into bariatric surgery. I stood my ground not to have it and have lost 48 lbs. so far in the last six months. I will not see the doctor again until mid-April and I can't wait to see his jaw drop. He had come right out and said he thought I could never lose weight! Ha!

One thing I will mention, as I have lived with my husband and overheard his counseling sessions helping people overcome addictions for years, is that if you stop doing an addictive behavior it is like emptying a hole that you had been filling with the addiction. You need to fill this "hole" with good nurturing things now in order to not need to go back to the old habits.

I know the future looks bright for you and I hope it is filled with all kinds of wonderful things to come! You should be proud!
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Feb-05-04, 11:45

Plan: Atkins/induction
Stats: 329/293.5/200 Female 5 feet 2.5inches
BF:
Progress: 28%

Volgal,When you look back at it in a few years you most likely will find that the weight loss will be the biggest achivement you've made. The smoking you can live without the drinking is not something you have to do But eating now that is different. Everday we have to eat inorder to live so in my oppinion this is the hardest thing to over come. The habits we learn inorder to cope with life become so much a part of us we have to literaly become new people. Our minds as well as our habits must change. This is no easy thing to do as we all know so I send out a true and hardy congratulations to the amazing obsticles you have overcome already. I think that when we reach that place where there is no place to go but up we have to face our real issues. For some of us it is a matter of life or death,, there maybe things about ourselves that we don't want to see but we have to. Janet said that people must fill their empty hole of addiction with good things. SElf control and self respect are the first things I see you have added . What a wonderful foundation for the future. Best wishes and Welcome to a NEW WAY of LIFE.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Feb-05-04, 14:27

Stats: 247.5/226/130 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 18%

Thank you for sharing this. Makes me see there is a light at the end of the tunnel!
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Feb-05-04, 15:38
Fit and Happy

Stats: 273/145/160 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:49%/24%/24%
Progress: 113%

Welcome! Glad to have you with us!! Congrats on your success so far. You are doing great.