Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Mar-12-04, 07:51

Plan: SB (formerly Atkins)
Stats: 196.5/167/140 Female 5' 4
BF:
Progress: 52%
Default Am I 20 lbs. overweight? Should I change goal weight?

When I started Atkins in October, I weighed 196.5 pounds. According to the scale this morning, I weigh 160.5. I am 5’ 4” with a medium to large frame upper body and a large frame lower body, long legs and a short torso. (Yes, I have the dreaded pear shape.) My beginning measurements were 42-38-50; now they are 40-33-43. I have gone from a size 18 to a size 14 in jeans.

Here is my quandary: I originally set my goal weight at 140. I’ve been overweight since I was about seven, so that goal was based on the charts, not on personal experience. Now that I am 20.5 pounds from goal, though, it looks to me like I am still carrying more excess fat than that. Don’t get me wrong; I can see how much better I look in the mirror. (I am actually entertaining the idea of getting a swimsuit this summer.) But looking at my thighs, etc., makes me think that I may need to lose more than 20 pounds.

Actually, I don’t care how much I weigh, really, as long as I can make it to a size 10 (or even 8!). I guess I’m just trying to figure out what weight would correlate with those sizes on my frame.

For those of you out there who made it to goal weight/size, how did you think you looked at 20 pounds over goal? What does 20 pounds overweight (especially on a bottom-heavy woman’s frame) look like? Do I just think I am fatter than I really am?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Mar-12-04, 07:56

Plan: vegan low-carb
Stats: 252/252/199 Female 64.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

I have never reached my goal but I'm going to throw in my $.02 anyway

I'm 5'4", too, and set my goal for 140 based on charts, not memory of what I looked/felt like many years ago when I actually weighed that . I have no idea what I'll look like at that point, but figured I'd aim at something. Anyway, why not wait until you're actually there or a few pounds away, rather than 20, before you think about changing it?

Also, seems like you're looking at the 'bad' rather than the good--make sure you take note of how much better you're looking and feeling and give yourself a pat on the back for how far you've come already.

nicole
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Mar-12-04, 08:06

Plan: atkins
Stats: 214/177/140 Female 5'6''
BF:35/28/23
Progress: 50%

I can't help you much either, but I always think size is more important than weight. So my goal is to be a size 8. I have no idea what I would weigh then, but I don't really care, as long as I can get comfortably into a size 8.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Mar-12-04, 08:13

BF:

Quote:
Also, seems like you're looking at the 'bad' rather than the good--make sure you take note of how much better you're looking and feeling and give yourself a pat on the back for how far you've come already.
I am pretty proud of myself, actually. I have lost the equivalent of one four-year-old girl, and that feels great! I guess I'm really just trying to figure out if I'm being realistic.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Mar-12-04, 08:23
overeasy

Plan: No grains/sugar/alcohol
Stats: 221/175.4/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 75%

I would have to say to pick a size, instead of a weight for your goal. When I got to my goal weight, I thought about losing more, but friends and family were very honest with me, saying I didn't need to drop more pounds. I took a hard look at my after pic, and agree with what they told me. I'm now concentrating on maintaining my weight, and as soon as it gets warmer outside, I'll be walking again everyday. THAT is what will help me to get into the size jeans I want (size 10).

Hope this helps!
melissa
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Mar-12-04, 09:20
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 215/185/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:21%/11%/10%
Progress: 100%

I agree with nikkil, wait till you get to 140 to decide if you want to go farther. I started out with a goal weight of 190 based on what I thought was a good weight for me. When I got there I decided that while I looked and felt much better at that weight, I could do better and adjusted my goal down to 185. I'd hate to see you set an unrealistic goal, not be able to reach it and feel like a failure. Much better to set an attainable goal, reach that, get that feeling of accomplishment and then set a new goal if you feel the need.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Mar-12-04, 11:06

Stats: 196/150/135 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

I agree with the other folks who are saying how about waiting to see what you actually look like at 140 before making the decision. If nothing else, it will give you a sense of accomplishment that you made it to your goal. Then, if you want to keep losing, you can set a new goal. However, I think I'd achieve your first goal before making it that much harder!
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Mar-12-04, 11:13

Stats: 255/187/150 Female 5'0
BF:
Progress: 65%

For the record, my daughter is just under 5'4", weighs 140, and wears a 6 or 8. Of course, she is 17 and has a more boyish build, so that makes a difference!

I agree with the previous posters who say you can reassess when you get closer to goal. You will know when you feel "right."
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Mar-12-04, 12:09

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quest
I agree with the previous posters who say you can reassess when you get closer to goal. You will know when you feel "right."
Kind of like how you recognize love when you feel it?

Thanks, guys. I knew I could count on you. I'll wait till I get closer to change my goal if needed. Hopefully, I won't need to change it at all, but if I do, that's OK. Heck, if I made it to a size 8 and still weighed 160—not likely, I realize—I would be perfectly fine with that.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Mar-12-04, 12:58

Plan: Low Carb My Way
Stats: 170/169/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%
Thumbs up

I started with similar stats as you. I now am 152 lbs and a nice size 9. I know that my goal of 140 will make me look great (take your height, bone structure, age into consideration whenever setting a goal weight). I know that if I went down to 125 I'd be pathetically thin.

If I get to 140 and feel I can still go lower and not look sickly, I will. But 140 is a very reasonable goal.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Mar-12-04, 13:59
"Natural Mystic"

Stats: 178/108/120 Female 5' 1"
BF:45%/17%/15%
Progress: 121%

Hi FrecklFluff!

I think you think about body fat rather than weight (pounds). Your goal body fat right now is 30%. See what you look like when you reach there, if you like how you look at 30% then stay there (whatever weight that might be). If you don't like how you look at that body fat then choose a lower body fat and work towards that.

If you gain lean mass you can adjust your weigh (pounds upward).

red