Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Mar-11-02, 14:14

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 364/320/280
BF:
Progress: 52%
Cool First Business Trip a Success!

Well, I am back from my first business trip since LCing, and I had no problem staying on Atkins. The toughest part was the last night when everyone ordered huge desserts except me. When it was over, I was glad I had the will power to not order anything else. I think in retrospect, it would have been better if I had ordered a decaff coffee with cream or something so I didn't look so strange. Anybody have suggestions on how to handle this scenerio?

The only bad thing is that I got sick the last couple of days. I think it was a previous cold resurfacing, and the lack of sleep and long working hours all contributed. By the end of the week I ended up losing 5 pounds, but most of that was due to fluids lost because of this respitory virus.

All in all, I am pleased with how I handled the trip, and I can't wait for the next one in two weeks.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Mar-12-02, 04:03

Plan: Paleoish
Stats: 218/175/155 Female 160cm
BF:
Progress: 68%

Well done! I do a lot of business travelling myself. I find that conferences are the worst as food is usually a set menu.
Instead of dessert, why not go for a cheese platter. I don't know about where you are from, but over here a lot of restaurants have that on their menu as an option instead of dessert. Or, like you said, a coffee with cream. Alternatively, you could just say you are full and couldn't eat another thing!

When I went on a 4 day conference a few weeks ago I knew I was going to have trouble and so I stashed a block of Philadelphia cheese and some mixed huts and had some before we went to a curry banquet. When I got to the banquet it had taken the edge off my hunger so I had some stir fry veg and a bit of butter chicken. (It was a set banquet so I had no choice!) A couple of people next to me noticed I wasn't having rice or bread and I just said that I can't have it because I have hyperinsulinemia and produce too much insulin when I have them. I find people accept that explanation and the reaction is completely different from when I used to say "I'm on a diet"!

Good luck on your next trip in a few weeks. I'm sure you will do well.
Melberry
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Mar-12-02, 08:02

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%
Default Re: First Business Trip a Success!

Quote:
Originally posted by odinisgod
I think in retrospect, it would have been better if I had ordered a decaff coffee with cream or something so I didn't look so strange. Anybody have suggestions on how to handle this scenerio?

It seems we spend at least half of our life, maybe more, trying to "fit in" or "worry about what others think of us". I was on a business trip a few weeks ago, and went out with my co workers for dinner. We had a great dinner and then they guys ordered chocolcate mousse with rasberry sauce and vanilla ice cream. I stuck by my guns and said no thanks and smiled as I sipped my glass of tea. It took them 4 mins to figure out I really wasn't going to "have a taste" for them to leave me alone

Just remember one thing....It is YOUR health, YOUR life. Not anyone else's. Don't worry so much about not ordering a dessert if you are on a diet. It just shows others your strength and determination of losing the weight. Instead of being strange we are really admired for sticking to our guns and not cheating
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Mar-12-02, 08:11

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Thumbs up

WTG, Odin! Apart from dealing with those high carbers who don't seem to be able to enjoy their carbs unless everyone is enjoying them, I bet you found it easier than you thought it would be.

Hope you're feeling better (again ) Keep hydrated and make sure get some extra sleep.

Nat
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Mar-12-02, 19:28

Plan: Atkins/PP
Stats: //
BF:
Progress: 50%

I couldn't agree more with Agonycat. (As usual.)

A few people in my family and many of their friends are very thin, rich, and chic. Whenever I go to outrageously expensive, elegant restaurants with them, I'm the only one agonizing over these issues. The ultra-hip simply say, "Thank you." They lean forward and engage in conversation. No explanations. They don't have to justify themselves -- they're too cool to explain their behavior.

You were probably the envy of everyone at the table (if you didn't look stressed out over it). They wish they had your reserve of strength and panache. You're too cool to be tempted by some stupid dessert that everyone knows they shouldn't eat!

Since it was a business trip, you probably even scored points as a professional. You were steady and in-control while everyone else was hating themselves for what they were doing.

If you're concerned about what your professional peers think, you couldn't do better than to appear uninterested in an unhealthy dessert. Just make sure you don't act weird about it. Lean forward and engage in conversation. Don't act like you have to justify yourself. Don't look like you're pining for it.

Allison
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Mar-13-02, 17:20

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 296/278/179 Female  5'8
BF:
Progress: 15%

Thanks for posting this -- and congratulations. Business trips can strike terror into the hearts of dieters. We're away from our low carb stash. We can't control how they'll cook the food. And that's even before consideration of peer pressure and crazy schedules. So good for you. Sorry about the cold -- drink lots of water
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Mar-17-02, 14:18
Registered Member

Plan: Lutz
Stats: //
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Re: First Business Trip a Success!

Quote:
Originally posted by odinisgod
I am back from my first business trip since LCing, and I had no problem staying on Atkins.
This reminds me that the 1995 original French title of Michel Montignac's Eat Yourself Slim was "How to lose weight by/while having business lunches" (Comment maigrir en faisant des repas d'affaires), a very provocative title, especially considering that in France, lunch is the heaviest meal of the day. Although not strictly low-carb, Montignac is low-glycemic (Susan Sommers' plan is basically a copy-cat of his method).