Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Mar-30-03, 21:57

Plan: modified atkins/general lc
Stats: 183/156/145 Female 5'2
BF:43%/31%/22%
Progress: 71%
Default cardio and weight training

HI,

I am a newbie and have always excercised. Never lost and gained even though I ate low fat and excerceised 5-6 days a week. I plan to do atkins and do 30-45 minutes of cardio (intense) for 4 days a week, along with light weight training. Would love to hear from people who lost doing atkins and excercising and learn from them and see their results. I have read numerous posts from people who have not lost too much and am wondering if they are doing any cardio at all

Thanks for any help you can offer me!!
Kat
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Mar-30-03, 22:14

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Hello Kat. How about going over to the Exercise forum of this board and see what exercise/training those people do and how they eat? I think you'll find the answers over there.

#3   ^
Old Mon, Mar-31-03, 07:36

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Would love to hear from people who lost doing atkins and excercising and learn from them and see their results. I have read numerous posts from people who have not lost too much and am wondering if they are doing any cardio at all
Kat why not come over and see us in the BFL forum? You'll find quite a few of us doing heavy weight lifting and minimal cardio, eating LC and doing very well

I'm a firm believer that exercise helps the journey along - but I think the weight lifting does a lot more for you in terms of fat burning than cardio ever could.

Nat
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Mar-31-03, 07:57

Default heavy weights?

Hi nat,

Well by seeing your pic, you look fabulous and look like you lift

I was wondering though by lifting weights, did you still see a significant weight loss becasue muscle weighs more the fat?
I have alos read Body for life but right now I really need to restrict my carbs. I love lifting weights and do machines about 3 times a week. My goal is to lose so I can start indoor rock climbing!!!! Wish me luck.

bye bye
Kat

also, I couldn't find the excercise forum but will keep looking
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Mar-31-03, 08:04

BF:

Quote:
I was wondering though by lifting weights, did you still see a significant weight loss becasue muscle weighs more the fat?
Hi kat I've been lifting for about 16 months now and I love it. I started off with BFL, but with LC eating. Yes, it can be done! Over those 16 months I've lost about 20% BF; in just the last 8 months, over 40 ". I've seen some dramatic fat loss as well as inch loss in that time. What's really of interest (at least to me!) is that in the last 7 weeks I've gained 8 lbs, but lost 5 inches.

I've noticed that there will be periods where inches come off, then fat comes off - the two don't seem to happen at the same time. I'll take the inches over the lbs though - one means I can wear the next smaller size, the other is just a number

Here's a link to the exercise forum. And here's one to the BFL forum.

Cheers!
Nat
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Mar-31-03, 16:51

Default carbs on BFL

HI Nat,

When you were/are doing BFL, when you initially started, did you keep your carbs down to less than 20 like on atkins/induction? Just trying to copy you since it looks like you lost and did weights just like I strive to. How did you do initially like the first month?

thanks
Kat
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Mar-31-03, 18:25

BF:

Kat, I made up a little 'cheat sheet' post in the BFL Forum with my experiences in it. IMHO, under 20g of carbs is too low for this type of activity - most of us have had to raise them to at least 30g a day (effective carbs, i.e. carbs minus fiber). There are some ideas how to increase carbs in that thread.

If you check out my Journal (the little icon) under my posts you'll be taken to my journal - around page 30 (I *think*) I began BFL (November 11, 2001) - menus are there. The icon will take you to my gym log - workouts are recorded there, again the same start date.

You can also look through the journals of the regular posters in the BFL Forum for ideas on menus and workouts

HTH
Nat
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Mar-31-03, 20:35

Default smiles

Thanks Nat,

Maybe one day I can wear a red top like that!!

I'll go check your journal now.

Kat