Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jul-14-02, 22:16

Plan: mix of Schwarzbein & PP;
Stats: 250/213/130 Female 5'4"
BF:Don't know!
Progress: 31%
Default Lack of hunger; don't feel like eating

I know that this might not be an appropriate question to ask but since I am still relatively new (started LC on June 25th) I wonder if anyone else has experienced a loss of appetite and a lack of any hunger pangs. I just am not interested in eating. I don't feel hungry. For the first time in my adult life I don't care about food.

I know that this is not good; the first day that I did not eat much resulted in a weight gain of two pounds. I wonder if this is a problem that others have encountered. Should I just go ahead and eat as if it is medicine, or do you think that my appetite will return?

I have been drinking plenty of water and keep my water bottle with me. Today I ate adequately--LC and three very small meals-- but always in the spirit of a lack of interest and with no hunger pangs.

Natalie

PS: This is totally new to me; it does not feel like me -- this body that does not want to eat.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jul-15-02, 07:25
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 165/140/130
BF:
Progress: 71%
Post Not eating

Well, Dr. Atkins talks about the body's response to a ketogenic diet and stresses that one of the benefits of ketosis is that it prevents you from feeling hungry all the time. This is definitely an expected side-effect, and I would say it means you've beaten your carb-addiction for the time being

I'm sure others have tips for keeping your calories up while not being hungry...I know I put oil on my salads and butter on my eggs in the morning to increase my caloric intake. I also snack on pork rinds, although some find them too salty.

G'luck!

-Jinkster
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jul-15-02, 07:52

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%
Default Re: Lack of hunger; don't feel like eating

Quote:
Originally posted by destro
I just am not interested in eating. I don't feel hungry. For the first time in my adult life I don't care about food.

I know that this is not good; the first day that I did not eat much resulted in a weight gain of two pounds.

Actually think about this for a moment. First time in your adult life that you have not thought about food. First time in your life you are not planning out a day about what you are going to eat and when.

This isn't a good thing? It is to me. I find this to be the best part of eating this way. For the first time in my life my stomach isn't twisting and turning, tying itself in knots because I haven't eaten in 3 hours. Or making horrible noises at the most inapproperiate times, like during meetings with clients. I feel like I have been set free at last. Free of being controlled by foods and thoughts of food. I now look at food as a fuel and not as something that controls me. I find that pretty empowering.

I eat three meals a day, if I am not hungry, then I eat smaller portions but I still eat something just to make sure my body is fueled up for the day's activities. Not being controlled by food or the thought of food has freed my mind up for more important things in life.

While my co workers eat "diet foods" and starving to death and complaining about starving to death and not losing anything, I enjoy feeling completely satisfied and seeing the weight drop.

Isn't this the best thing in the world?
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jul-15-02, 09:48
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Destro,

Perfectly appropriate question - it gets asked all the time! I like the mild loss of appetite, too. I sure beats eating all the time and still being hungry!

If you aren't already, you might want to keep a journal or use fitday.com just to make sure you're eating the right stuff. At least until you're more used to the WOE. I happen to have a lousy short term memory and I'm disorganized, so I use it religiously.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jul-15-02, 10:36

Plan: mix of Schwarzbein & PP;
Stats: 250/213/130 Female 5'4"
BF:Don't know!
Progress: 31%

Thank you everyone, for putting my question in perspective. Agonycat, I think you are quite correct there. For me, it's just a bit of an emotional shock at age 51 to NOT be obsessing about eating. That was very unhealthy--not just physically, but emotionally as well.

I should really be congratulating myself. I have stuck to the programme; I have not cheated; I have not even wanted to cheated. I feel great physically and my blood sugar has been wonderful for the first time since I was diagnosed with Diabetes! No crazy spikes.

And it's typical of me to put the wrong spin on a situation. Agonycat, the way you describe how you are feeling is really the way I am feeling.

Thank you, everyone!

Natalie