Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Oct-01-03, 14:51

Plan: CALP (switched from Atkins)
Stats: 189/169/145 Female 63 inches
BF:Way/too/high
Progress: 45%
Default I threw my scale out the window...

...figuratively, not literally. It is a piece of untrustworthy $%&^ and yesterday was the final straw...it said I gained 30 pounds overnight.

I've decided not to get a new scale because it has caused me to obsess over my 'failure' to lose weight as fast as I want. I nedd to start concentrating on my success. I've gone from a tight 16 to a tight 12/comfortable 14, and even though I can't trust that scale, I think my net weight loss is close to 20 pounds, with some muscle gain from aerobics and weights. I need to keep in mind that, if I continue to stick to my WOE and exercise, I will keep losing weight even though it will probably take MONTHS to get where I need to be. I need to remember that this is a way of life; I didn't get fat overnight; I am not going to get slim overnight, and it is not healthy to obsess over the numbers or compare myself to those on this forum who are losing weight at a much faster pace than me. So I'm going to stick to the clothing test for the time being, and only consider getting a new scale if those tight 12's get tighter instead of looser. (And believe me, that is NOT going to happen)
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Oct-01-03, 15:02

Plan: Atkins/BFL
Stats: 260/197/150 Female 5'7
BF:52/42.5/28
Progress: 57%

Hi Christena,
I am with you! I don't have a scale, and after low-carbing for 2 months I went to my mothers and stepped on hers, having no idea how much I weighed. I can't tell you how disappointed I was to see the huge number staring back at me - and I had been so excited because my clothes were getting loose. So I have decided that until I think I will be close to seeing a number I like on a scale, I will use the clothes test too. I work out hard and often and I am sticking to my WOE religiously, so as you say, unless my clothes get tight instead of loose, I won't be getting a scale until I fit into a size 9 again! (that might take years but it will happen!!!lol) I know people who place too much importance on daily weights - even sometimes checking several times a day - and obsess about it constantly. So here's to us!
Ana
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Oct-01-03, 15:26

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 250/205/180 Female 69 in
BF:
Progress: 64%

I live right next to a big McDonald's... and I told my dad I want to get rid of my scale b/c it's really inaccurate anyway and it's making me CRAZY.

So he was like, "why not just put it in front of the McDonald's?"

I can't imagine that would be too good for business...hehehe....
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Oct-01-03, 15:55

Plan: atkins
Stats: 154/146/125 Female 5'4
BF:??
Progress: 28%

i still step on the scales but mostly out of curiousity. i'm going by the jeans test - i've a closet of size 5's and 7's i cannot get into, and 2 pairs of 12's that are barely comfortable. I REFUSE TO GIVE UP. i will personally beat clothing designers about the head with rock-hard french baguettes to change their sizing before i'll buy more 12 sized jeans!

ah, the last time i did well on this... i so remember the 'big' jeans getting too loose. what a feeling!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Oct-01-03, 16:11
Registered Member

Stats: // Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 54%

I, too, was very disappointed yesterday by the weight I saw on my scale. My clothes look better, my face looks thinner, and my boobs are DEFINITELY smaller (not necessarily a good thing). Thirteen years ago I lost 120 pounds and kept it all off until three years ago I started gaining 10-20 pounds each winter, and not being able to lose it all again once winter was over.
Right after I hit my goal weight I was so obsessed with my weight that I would literally check the scale a dozen times a day. One day, I finally had enough, and I took the scale outside and slammed it into the driveway, and then jumped up and down on it until it was bashed to bits. The neighbors thought I'd lost it, but I had actually reclaimed my sanity in that gesture. I'm not gonna DESTROY the one I have now, but it is going in the trash today!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Oct-01-03, 16:23

Stats: 200/193/130 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 10%

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtena
...figuratively, not literally. It is a piece of untrustworthy $%&^ and yesterday was the final straw...it said I gained 30 pounds overnight. )
LMBOOOO!!!!!!!
I'm sorry, but that is just TOO funny...30 pounds overnight?!?!?!
I don't have much faith in my scale either (or any for that matter),
if I lived by my scale.. I'd be so dang depressed to have only lost
7 pounds in 5 weeks! But hey, I KNOW I feel better (most of the time)
and it's helped my diabeties so much, that even if I only lose 2 pounds
a month it's still worth sticking with!

Keep up the great work everyone!

NoSurender
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Oct-01-03, 16:32
This is the year

Stats: 194/186.8/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 13%

The best way to cure scale obsession is to get pregnant!! I only step on one now at the doctor's office. I hope that when I am back to normal, I can keep away from the every day weigh in!!