Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Mar-30-03, 06:02

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/152/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 110%
Default The Adam & Eve Diet

I don't know if anyone else has heard of it, but the Adam & Eve Diet is the latest diet book on the block in the UK, written by Roderick Lane & Sarah Stacey.

The diet aims to target your individual evolutionary type and work in harmony with the body's specific needs. He believes we each belong to one of five body types - hunter gatherer, pioneer, pathfinder, farmer and dancer - each of which governs our physique and has its own dietary requirements. Treating your body to the best nourishment for its type should reward you with the best health. It outlines how to identify your type, and then advises what, when and where to eat and how to adapt for stress and life changes, with a selection of recipes and menus.

Quote:
The theory of this diet is simply common sense. By identifying and eating the foods that suit your specific body type, and by correcting your Stress Weaknesses, you can achieve your perfect natural weight and experience a renewed energy and zest for life.
The Biotype theory also explains a conundrum that has been foxing experts - and dieters - for decades. And this is the fact that some diets undoubtedly do work for some people, while they are completely ineffective for others. The explanation is that it depends on your Biotype. If you have, by chance, happened on the diet that is optimally suited to your Biotype, it will work for you (at least to some extent).

Your Biotype is based on your dominant gland or glands. These glands are the biochemical factories in our bodies that produce hormones, the sophisticated chemicals that regulate the whole of our body chemistry and influence all of our activities. Each gland is associated with a physiological function and this is what gives the five Biotypes their individual physical, mental and emotional characteristics:

Biotype 1: Pathfinder Dominant gland: Pituitary
Biotype 2: Hunter Gatherer Dominant gland: Thyroid
Biotype 3: Pioneer Dominant gland: Adrenal
Biotype 4: Farmer Gardener Dominant gland: Gonads (primary sex glands - the ovaries or testes)
Biotype 5: Dancer Dominant glands: Gonads and Pituitary

Now what I find extremely interesting is the fact that I know that low carbing works for me, and when I took the quiz I came out as a Hunter Gatherer:

Hunter Gatherers thrive on the food they would have had in the wild, gathered as they went on their nomadic way. So you will flourish on a diet that is high in lean, low-fat protein, with lots of vegetables and raw salads, fresh hard fruits and olive oil, and small amounts of whole-grain and wholemeal products. Crucial to Hunter Gatherer’s health is a big breakfast to sustain you through the day.

Although I have done a lot of reading and research on the low carb woe and believe in and understand the science behind it, I do find this new book fascinating in the theories it puts forward, namely: The Biotype theory also explains a conundrum that has been foxing experts - and dieters - for decades. And this is the fact that some diets undoubtedly do work for some people, while they are completely ineffective for others. In my opinion I'm not sure if it fully explains this conundrum to me, but I do know that some diets work for some and not for others - I do know people who haven't been at all successful at low carbing.

Personally, the only thing I've ever needed to do whilst low carbing was to keep an eye on my carbs - I've never counted calories or needed to really tweak my woe in any way. But many people have had to. Perhaps the types that have been identified in the Adam & Eve diet, go some way to explain why they have had to.

I suppose it's very similar to the Blood Type diet - unfortunately, I haven't read it, so cannot comment as to whether this is actually the case.

You can read more about the Adam & Eve Diet here

Pathfinder
Pathfinder Biotypes are dominated by the pituitary gland. The basic philosophy of a Pathfinder diet is to stabilise the pituitary function and check the hormonal swings (caused by too much refined carbohydrate) of the adrenals and thyroid.
Pathfinders function best on the classic ‘low-allergen’ diet: high in lean, low-fat protein (including poultry, fish and some red meat), salad and green vegetables, with some complex carbohydrates.
Pathfinders do not work well on foods that have been altered by man, such as refined carbohydrates (white sugar and white flour); you should avoid gluten, milk and dairy (cow) products, except for butter and yoghurt. Try substituting sheep or goat’s cheese and soya, rice or oat milk instead of cow’s.

Pioneers
Pioneers do well on simple meals that follow the principles of food-combining. As well as being most suitable for your metabolism, food-combining often proves the simplest way for Pioneers to lose weight. The system is based on separating proteins and carbohydrates at main meals, and eating fruit on its own.

Farmer Gardener
Farmer Gardeners tend to be slow metabolisers, so you need light foods that will provide instant energy and take little time to digest. You should avoid spicy food such as curries.
Translate that into a diet and it means that Farmer Gardeners do well on a lacto-vegetarian diet. As well as dairy products, you should eat lots of vegetables, salads and fruits daily, with smaller amounts of wholegrain products. It’s essential that this Biotype eats small amounts of protein (animal, fish or vegetarian) at lunchtime, but you are the only Biotype that can thrive on a vegan diet.

Dancer
Dancers flourish on a demi-vegetarian diet – in keeping with your adaptable nature. This diet is truly eclectic, containing elements of all the food groups. The Dancer can break many of the ‘rules’, such as not eating fruit at the end of a meal and avoid gluten and dairy produce.
Dancers have a slightly faster metabolism than Farmer Gardeners and need ‘slow-burn’ food (such as seeds and nuts). For lunch every day, you must have lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, guinea fowl and fish, or veggie protein, such as tofu, to avoid suffering a mid-afternoon dip.
Dancers should be careful to restrict cow’s milk products, such as ice-cream and cheese, because they have the Pathfinders’ problems with pituitary function and dairy foods, which can lead eventually to arthritic conditions and becoming overweight. Usually, however, they can eat sheep’s and goat’s milk products without problems, and substitute soya, oat or rice milk for cow’s milk.

Last edited by Demi : Sun, Mar-30-03 at 06:05.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Mar-30-03, 09:54
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 300/257/150
BF:
Progress: 29%

Hi Demi! Very interesting info there! I was not surprised to find that I am a Hunter Gatherer too - which explains why I feel so much better when I eat mostly whole foods and stay away from processed convenience foods. I had no basis for deciding to eat that way, my body just seemed to run more efficiently when I did. Now I have an idea of why! Thanks!
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Mar-30-03, 17:35

Stats: 159/152/140 Female 163
BF:?
Progress: 37%

Hi Demi
Got to here via your post in Little Anne's journal.
Wow this is fascinating, I'm going to read more.
Thanks for taking the time to post all the info.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Mar-30-03, 23:39

Stats: 221.8/221.8/155 Female 5’7”
BF:
Progress: 0%

I'm a Hunter Gatherer also. I found this interesting...

"Hunter Gatherers like to eat outside, so whenever possible have meals looking out on a view, on a balcony or in the garden; plan picnics and other open-air meals. At work, try to get out at lunchtime and go into a park or by a river."

I'm always wanting to go on picnics! When I was working full time, I always ate where I could look outside.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Mar-31-03, 11:02

Stats: 250/202/145
BF:
Progress: 46%

I came up as a Pioneer! I think it is funny because I usually do not eat my vegis and meat together and I rarely eat at the same place. Demi, you may have hit on something good and true here.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Mar-31-03, 16:30

Plan: shangri-la/lowcarb
Stats: 185/173/145 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 30%

Demi,
Thank you that is very interesting I took the test and am a Pioneer. You asked about the Diet Trials yes I am following them we have a fellow from the U.K. on another list I am on and he keeps us up to date. Pat S
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Mar-31-03, 18:36

Plan: atkins
Stats: 354/233/200 Male 5 ft 11 in
BF:YES
Progress: 79%
Default dancer

Hi Demi,

I think i'm a dancer. I need meat in the afternoon or i have a afternoon low, and i do bad with most dairy. hmm anyone wanna dance!

Jon
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Mar-31-03, 18:38
Stepford Malfunction

Plan: FatFlush inspired
Stats: 143.5/132/130 Female 62.5 inches
BF:37%/25.%/19%
Progress: 85%

Jon - I thought you saved all your dances for the Whoosh Fairy
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Mar-31-03, 21:40

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 135/123.0/120 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 80%

I came up as a Pioneer. That is funny to me because fifteen years ago I did the food-combining Fit for Life diet and was nowhere as near successful as I have been with Atkins. But, still the Adam & Eve Diet is interesting.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Apr-01-03, 02:09
Registered Member

Plan: montignac
Stats: 140/140/125
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default re

very fun and right on, thanks! but to me it seems a direct copy of abravanel's body type diet from the 80's, also a very good read.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Apr-01-03, 06:57

Stats: 178/166.0/140 Female 5'9"/174cm
BF:30.4/30.4/25?
Progress: 32%

Not making any judgments on the eating plan itself - but does anyone else find the associaton of Adam & Eve and "evolutionary" somewhat odd???
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Apr-01-03, 09:08

Plan: Skinny Me Diet
Stats: 345/212.5/210 Male 6'4
BF:
Progress: 98%

Pathfinder here..........

"Pathfinders do not work well on foods that have been altered by man, such as refined carbohydrates (white sugar and white flour); you should avoid gluten, milk and dairy (cow) products, except for butter and yoghurt. Try substituting sheep or goat’s cheese and soya, rice or oat milk instead of cow’s.
"

At least their diet seems to be accurate for me
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Apr-01-03, 15:41

Plan: My own
Stats: 165.5/155/135 Female 5'2"
BF:Too much
Progress: 34%

I'm a pioneer...that's me like to eat out...LOL
I usually hate to eat JUST one thing like meat and no veggies but before this WOE..I barely ate any meat at all...
Interesting !!

Thanks for the link !!
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Apr-01-03, 15:47

Stats: 220/185/180
BF:
Progress: 88%

I'm a pathfinder :-(

As an Atkinite I obviously wanted to be a hunter gatherer, but at least it's better than being a dancer.

Strangely enough I ready do enjoy reading maps, though. Uncanny huh?
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Apr-01-03, 19:58

Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 80%

Pathfinder.

Quote:
Pathfinder Biotypes are dominated by the pituitary gland. The basic philosophy of a Pathfinder diet is to stabilise the pituitary function and check the hormonal swings (caused by too much refined carbohydrate) of the adrenals and thyroid.

Pathfinders function best on the classic ‘low-allergen’ diet: high in lean, low-fat protein (including poultry, fish and some red meat), salad and green vegetables, with some complex carbohydrates.

Pathfinders do not work well on foods that have been altered by man, such as refined carbohydrates (white sugar and white flour); you should avoid gluten, milk and dairy (cow) products, except for butter and yoghurt. Try substituting sheep or goat’s cheese and soya, rice or oat milk instead of cow’s.