Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jul-23-03, 13:33

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 252/230/165 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 25%
Arrow Fast Food

I am always on the go and used to eat fast food a lot. Now that I am on Atkins, I have had to give that up and it made life a little bit, ok a lot, difficult for a while. But I just wanted to share a little something I figured out. If you must get fast food and you have an In-and Out Burger near you, they will serve your burger Protein Style. It's not on the menu, but all you have to do is ask for it protien style or with no bun and they serve it to you as a lettuce wrap. They use nice thick lettuce too, so it works as conveniently as a bun!

I know In-And Out isn't a huge chain, but I thought I would share for anyone who might benefit.... And if anyone else has tips about fast food they would be much appreciated as I am still looking for ways to adapt.

Thanks!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jul-23-03, 13:44

Stats: 225/207.5/170 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 32%

I haven't tried the protein burger as I can't really stomache burgers w/out the bun, but I've heard it's really good. I stick w/ salads from various places, or from a Ma & Pop place I get the pastrami minus the bread, carne asada burrito minus the tortilla or chicken/steak fajitas. From Taco Bell I get the soft taco supreme and nix the tortilla or the grilled stuft steak burrito and nix the beans, rice and tortilla. It's quite good! I've tried to find nutritional info from Taco Bell in re: to the sauce on the latter burrito but can't seem to find anything. I "BELIEVE" it's low carb. El Pollo is great for their chicken (skin is delicious, marinade is said to be no carb nu sugar) and their veggie side (skip the carrots) or a side salad. Boston Market has delish chicken and green beans/veggies. I have SO considered opening a Low Carb Restaurant (if only I had all kinds of money to invest in something like that). It would be tremendously successful (esp in CA). Imagine it, lots of meats, veggies, low carb delicious bread, salads, low carb desserts, etc.

HTH someone.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jul-23-03, 13:45
Hello

Plan: Modified Ketogenic
Stats: 182/180/145 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 5%

I eat at a lot of fast food places too (socially acceptable thing to do at my work...) and here are my tips FWIW:
SALADS! Jack in the Box has a great chicken club salad served with Almond Accents instead of croutons. Wendy's chicken BLT salad has a good amount of LC ingredients, too.
Carl's Jr.'s $6 Burger is pretty meaty and they will serve it with no ketchup and on a plate sans bun. Otherwise, if I want a burger (or two) I just take the bun off myself.
Boston Market is a good choice
Baja Fresh has a fajita plate

Anyway, good luck!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jul-23-03, 13:46
Registered Member

Stats: 258/218/190 Male 72
BF:
Progress: 59%

Good tip. I'm also a fast food dependent due to my job. I'm getting a lot of salads lately though. One thing I did notice is that I asked for a Diet Pepsi last night, and when I got to my hotel, I realised it was a regular pepsi. From now on, I intend to purchase my pop at a corner store or something. It's too risky for me .
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jul-23-03, 13:49

Stats: 210/190/150 Male 5'5
BF:
Progress: 33%

I eat out alot wendy's is my fave I order a double bacon cheeseburger with no ketchup and i get mayo and mustard on it take off the bread and there is your meal!

I don't know how many carbs the Chicken BLT has in it, all I know is I love it and someone once told me counting your salad carbs isn't that big a deal.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jul-23-03, 13:58

BF:

Any tips on Asian foods? That one is a killer for me!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jul-23-03, 14:13

Stats: 225/207.5/170 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 32%

Chinese food, hmm, I've gone ONCE. I asked them to prepare some stir fryed shrimp w/ veggies nix the cornstarch and sugar please. It was pretty tasty. Otherwise their fish sans breading would be fine w/ veggies. It's pretty difficult to find Asian food that doesn't have added thickners or sugar (or rice, noodless, etc. which are high in carbs). I'd love to get some info on this also.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jul-23-03, 15:12

Stats: 250/250/180 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress:

I live on in Illinois and we dont have half these restaurants. My husband and I work at a University and the food places are all closed for the summer, so we go out almost everyday... He has been supportive enought to take me somewhere were I can get a burger and/or salad, but we usually eat chinese buffet once a week... I bet it is just killing him, and if I go there, It will kill my woe too.

I like MdD'd Double Cheese of Chicken sandwiches which are only $1. I usually get a side salad for $1 also, and still eat cheaper than hubby. The chicken is breaded, but it has never bothered my ketosis in the past. Today was steak and shake's Fried Chicken Salad.. It was Huge, I wasted half of it... but it was atleast fiilling.

Good Luck Everyone.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Aug-06-03, 14:49

Stats: 265/245/175
BF:
Progress: 22%

Fast Foods that I have tried to stick with are any burger ordered without ketchup, any grilled chicken items, and salads. I agree that the Wendy's BLT salad is good, also Chick-Fil-A grilled chicken caesar is good, and comes with sunflower seeds for a kick of extra protein.

As for Asian foods, I have not tried to go out and "special" order anything because I am not confident in the sauces being s/f or l/c. At home, however, I have made stir-fry dishes with strips of chicken beef or pork, using olive oil, a little soy sauce (Kikoman has no sugar & is low carb) and throwing in some broccoli, bamboo shoots, water chestnuts, onion, etc.

drchickon, I just want to tell you congrats on your progress, 27 down in two months is awesome! I only hope to acheive that type of results! Are you doing anything special to get results like that? I am walking on a treadmill and occasionally throwing in an upper or lower body workout (squats by the tons UGH). Any advice on how to kick start my weight loss is appreciated!
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Aug-06-03, 17:16

BF:

Hi 20Down,

First- Thank you for the compliment!!! It's always nice to hear. I wish I could tell you I was doing something special, but I truly am not. I stay under 20 carbs a day, usually around 15. I try to stick with the acceptable foods list for induction, though I add a little SF Chocolate every now and again. I exercise on and off. I tore my rotator cuff a few weeks ago so that realllllly slowed me down on the workout front. An exorbitant amount of money spent on physical therapy has me able to use the elliptical again now, so I try to spend 30 minutes on the elliptical at least 3-4 times a week. Let's see... what other things am I conscious of.... I do not eat Atkins Bars, those really slowed me down... and I try to enjoy the food that I do eat. I also take the Atkins Basic #3 Supplement 3 times a day.

Man, I wish I could be more helpful as to anything "special" I have done.... but fortunately for me, this WOE really agrees with me. It is all foods I like, that fill me up and I don't have to listen to anyone telling me not to eat real butter anymore!
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Aug-07-03, 08:05

Stats: 265/245/175
BF:
Progress: 22%

My friend also said the Atkins bars slowed her down. I wonder why that is. I am trying to refrain from eating them myself because I have a feeling they slow me down as well. Sometimes I just want to get them because I get hungry during my work day and I have not found a lot of "snacky" foods that I can keep at my desk.

I am trying to stick to Induction foods only as well, and I have made a committment to myself and with my bf that we will work out together every day (at least M-F...I have to kick my own butt to get up and do it on the weekends) I did an hour on the treadmill on Monday and did a straining lower body workout on Tuesday and an upper body workout yesterday. I think the treadmill is probably my best bet if I stick to an hour a day, but toning never hurt anyone! (Except maybe for the first few days, lol) I received "The FIRM" workout set for Xmas...I find parts of it way too difficult for my current weight and fitness level, but the toning video is pretty good.

I am hoping that all this exercise will pay off, and I know it will in one way or another. Just getting in the routine and getting off my butt to actually do it makes me feel better about myself. I am not aiming to be a "Barbie" or a skinny mini..I just want to live healthier and look better and be able to go on long hikes without having to stop as often to catch my breath. Plus, carrying all this weight has had an effect on my knees, not to mention I got my mom's knees - they creak and crack when going up stairs. I want to avoid any further damage my weight may be causing to them.

My goal is to get down to 160 or so because I have no idea what I look like at that size. I have always been a big girl. The best I remember looking was late high school when I got down to 185, which was still "big" but it was really not bad looking back at it!

Well enough rambling from me, I don't want to take up your whole day! lol

Best of luck with your continuing progress!