Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jun-23-02, 17:04

Plan: CKD
Stats: 162/?/? Female 5'6
BF:16
Progress: 0%
Default First time poster, with BIG question

Hi Everyone. I've been lurking here for the last two months, this is my first post(I finally got my own computer). I'm getting frustrated and need some advice.
I did Atkins 4 years ago and lost 90 pounds in 6 months, so I don't think I'm metabolically resistant. I switched to low-fat and gained. Anyway I've been back on this WOE since April 1, 2002. I've been eating between 1500-2000 calories a day, depending on my appetite and 5-10g of carbs per day(mostly from eggs). I only allow 1 serving of cheese and cream and my diet mostly consists of meat and fats. I workout 6 days a week doing Tae Bo for 30-45 minutes a day and lift weights and work abs an additional 15-30 minutes two days a week. So far I haven't lost a single pound or inch. I also drink at least a gallon of water each day.
I'm not a huge veggie fan but last Monday I started adding 2-3 servings of veggies a day. I realized I wasn't following induction by the rules and learned through several posts that sometimes too FEW carbs can prevent you from losing. So I'm now eating between 15-20g carbs a day. Did I make the right decision?
I still haven't seen any weight loss, but this past week was TOM so it's probably too soon to tell... My second question is, I've noticed since adding these extra carbs I'm get fuller faster but am also hungrier sooner. What is my body telling me?
I'm 25 years old, 5'3 and weigh 156.
Sorrry this is so long, I just felt I needed to give some background.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jun-23-02, 17:28

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/167/167 Female 167cm
BF:45%/25.5%/20%
Progress: 100%

hi Misty,

Well done on de-lurking

Sounds like you have hit the nail on the head by adding in the veges and upping your carbs. You are very active, so it is not surprising that you are hungry. Post induction you could up your carbs quite a bit given the activity level you have.

After having done LC then low fat and then back to LC, your body may well be saying "what on earth is she doing this time!" and just holding on, just in case. Give it a bit more time at the higher level of carbs and I'm sure you will find the fat will melt off

Good luck

Lesley
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jun-23-02, 17:43

Default Thanks!

Thanks Leslie for the quick reply.
I also forgot to say, I am almost completely sedatary all day at my job. So if I didn't exercise, I would barely move at all.
I have been registering on the ketostix since I started, it's been pale, but I also drink a lot of water. I have also noticed several other changes since starting: no more bloat, no more mood swings and constant energy. Just no weight loss.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jun-23-02, 17:44

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Hi Misty!

I agree with Lesley. The quick weight loss the first time you go on a low carb plan is a gift. The second or third time around isn't usually so quick and easy. You become more metabolically resistant each time. Once you lose the weight only to regain it, it's much harder to take it off again. Your body says "Yeah, right, we've been through this before" and hangs on for dear life. Low carb is really a lifestyle change and not a diet...it's not intended to be something that you go on and off. Upping your carbs is a good thing, especially when you use veggies to do it. You really need that vitamins, minerals and phytochemicals from those veggies for good health. As active as you are, I'm a bit surprised that you aren't at least losing inches. What parts of your body are you measuring? It could be that you're losing inches from parts that haven't been measured or that you are gaining lean body mass from all the exercise and protein. Stick with it at the level you are now for a few weeks and see what happens. Good luck!
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jun-23-02, 18:21

I measure my chest, waist, hips and thighs. I have lost 2 inches in the waist but that was in the first week. I think it was because I am no longer bloated. My measurements are 36/29/42. Thighs=25in.
I'm never doing LF again. I did it for less than a year and became so crabby and obsessed over food, all while gaining more weight. Even if I never lose another pound again, LC is so much more appetizing and easy to do. I could easily stick with this for the rest of my life.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jun-23-02, 19:49

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Misty, I think that adding in the veggies was a good idea as well. I think it's important now that you learn to eat LC in a manner that is sustainable for the rest of your life. Eating just meat and eggs and cheese isnt a WOL, it's a crash diet (developed by Dr. Stillman). By adding in the veggies and increasing the fiber, micronutrients and carbohydrates in your daily diet you should start to notice improvements in the strength, intensity and enjoyment you get out of your workouts.

Being sedentary still requires energy - BMR requirements are those that must be met before you even get yourself out of bed in the mornings. While you may not burn through 1000 calories in your daily life what you are using might surprize you.

With the addition of the green stuff it sounds like you're well on your way to developing a Way of Eating that will see you through to your goal.

Nat
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jun-23-02, 20:25

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 181.5/154.5/130
BF:36% +-/??/20%+-
Progress: 52%
Default Just a thought

Hi Misty..

As a thought, perhaps you're not seeing any dramatic changes because of your workouts. Doing all that work will build muscle and it's known to be even heavier than fat. And because of the workouts, it may be necessary to actually eat more calories so your body doesn't go into starvation mode.

L.