Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Feb-10-03, 00:28

Plan: atkins
Stats: 182/177/130
BF:
Progress: 10%
Unhappy Is this typical or should I be eating more veggies?

Hello Everyone!

I've been on the Atkins diet for a little over two weeks now and have decided to continue on induction. My question posed to all of you knowledgeable low carb veterans is why I'm not losing as much as I think I should be.

I've lost maybe between 2-5 pounds - the scale fluctuates. I'm in moderate to large ketosis according to Ketostix and I have lost about an inch and a half off of my thighs and scattered inches off of my hips and ONE calf (??) and other parts. Maybe if you saw my typical menu you could offer some suggestions or tips?

Here goes:

Breakfast:

3 egg Omelet with bacon (2-3 strips) with cheddar cheese about 1 oz.

Lunch:

Sometimes another omelet like the one I had for breakfast...I'm uninventive for lunch, what can I say...OR leftover meat from the night before eg: meatloaf or broiled chicken - naked Buffalo wings with blue cheese dressing.

Dinner:

Salad approx. 1 to 2 cups with lemon juice. garlic and olive oil dressing, Broiled steak or chicken with mushroom sauce made with a tablespoon of sour cream and chicken broth, garlic, butter.

Dessert:

Diet jello cheesecake or mini cheesecake (one ramekin) made with splenda, cream cheese and eggs.

Am I doing something wrong? Not enough veggies?

Also, I was wondering if it is ok to eat asian noodles - spring noodles made of beans or is that a no no

Any advice would be great. Thanks in advance!

Kitty
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Feb-10-03, 10:26
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Kitty. I honestly don't see anything about your menu that raises flags. More vegetables would be a good idea - aim for three cups of raw salad veggies or two cups of salad veggies plus one cup cooked. You're in ketosis, so...

Are you getting enough exercise? Or OTOH, have you started working out? Resistance training will cause a little water retention. Are you on any medications that might slow you down? Just trying to throw you some ideas.

..the asian noodles are out. They're pure carbs, virtually zero fiber.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Feb-10-03, 10:28
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:

Hello Kitty! Welcome to the Forum!

You can expect to lose 10% on induction, so I would say you're right on the money! It's 5% per month thereafter.

My best advice is to only weigh yourself once a week. Atkins himself states that this is not a quick weight loss diet, but one that teaches you good eating habits for life by eating nutrient dense foods. Be patient! You didn't gain it all in a few months so give yourself the luxury of taking some time to do it. It's how you develop the right kind of lowcarbing attitude and eating habits.

I would throw a few more vegetables into the mix. You won't lose the fat any faster by staying at 20 grams and it does add variety to your meals. Are you drinking lots of water. Many people report a shift in fat loss with drinking enough water.

Do you mean cellophane noodles or glass noodles? No, they are very high in carbs but there are alternatives. It's all in this thread here.

Karen
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Feb-11-03, 00:01

Plan: atkins
Stats: 182/177/130
BF:
Progress: 10%
Smile

YAY!! Thanks Karen for the info. It just so happens that I love some of the noodles mentioned in the link.

Looks like I will have more variety in my diet...in moderation, of course

I guess I'll have to add veggies to my list and try to get in some exercise...maybe I should take some of the clothes off the treadmill...that might be a good start.

I'm trying to think of ways to satisfy my ben and jerry's new york super fudge chunk craving...that will be a hard one to substitute.
Guess I will have to stick to the cheesecake.

The monotony of what I'm eating is really what is getting to me. I am doing remarkably well without my all time favorite foods eg: potatoes, pasta and rice. Already made my naked buffalo wings recipe three days in a row. I've basically exhausted that option.

Thanks for the support and advice and making me feel welcome!

kitty
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Feb-11-03, 01:51
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:

Quote:
The monotony of what I'm eating is really what is getting to me.

Have you checked out the recipe forums yet? Loads of tasty stuff!

Monotony is a pretty common complaint in the beginning. It takes a while to discover all the great things you can eat and how to make them. Try out a couple of new recipes a week, or whatever you feel comfortable with.

You're learning a new way of eating and stretching your boundaries. That's a good thing!