Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-03, 17:23
Renaissance Man

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 298/197.5/185 Male 66 inches
BF:26.08
Progress: 89%
Default what a bummer, scales arrived for measuring

food and BOY, have my estimates been 'weigh' off.
One slice of swiss cheese that didn't seem to be even 1 oz? 1.45 oz!
One small cooked hamburg that looked like 6 oz? 8.3 oz!
Damn these digitalized scales!!!!!!!
However, on the very bright side. A very large salad made up of torn Romaine lettuce leaves......only 7 oz.
Armed with the new digitalized food measuring scales and Corinne T. Netzer's Encylcopedia of Food Values, it is time to replot this course of trying to follow Dr. Atkins while meeting only the minimum plus 10-15% of my per day caloric and protein needs based on the average lean body weight computed with the five differing calculators people have listed on this forum for us to use.
Is it all worth it? We shall see, we shall see.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-03, 17:55
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 220/195/145 Female 5'9"
BF:31%
Progress: 33%

Well lasert, you seem to be doing quite well with the "measures" you've been using. You must have been doing something right. Don't let the scale get you all confused. Good luck with your new "toy".
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-03, 18:22

Stats: 250/188/140 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 56%

I love my scale. I use it all the time and recommend it to everyone!

I look at it this way:
1) you're underestimating the amount you eat.. you are wasting time and cheating yourself (accidentally of course but why do it!?
2) you overestimate what you eat and could be eating more if measured correctly.. again cheating yourself out of food!!
3) measure everything. 'just right'. you eat as much as you allow yourself for the day.

cheating yourself might not be the best description but you get what I mean.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jul-26-03, 11:35
Registered Member

Plan: Various
Stats: 196/172/154 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 57%
Default Digital scales - so useful

When we got the scales in our household the main advantage we found was the incremental weighing; tuna salad, you put the bowl on the scales, zero it, put the tuna in, write down, zero it, put the mayonnaise in, write it down, zero it etc. Plus we loved the accuracy. We're not counting or weighing at the moment (just to see how it goes) but I am still so so pleased we bought those scales.

Gez

Last edited by suleika : Sat, Jul-26-03 at 12:05.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jul-26-03, 11:40

Stats: 233/197/163 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 51%

Wow, you guys have more patience than me, all I do is count my carbs the best I can!
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jul-26-03, 14:33
Renaissance Man

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 298/197.5/185 Male 66 inches
BF:26.08
Progress: 89%
Default Patience?????? Nah, focus

This is the first time since 1978 that I have seriously tried to lose weight...and that was the second time in my life that I seriously tried. I first tried in the fall of 1959 when I lost 63 lbs in 61 days through really heavy exercise and diet in order to gain a starting position of the varsity hockey team in college.
I then lost 71 lbs. on Weight Watchers in 1978, bought all new clothes and then proceeded to gain it all, plus more, back over the next five years.
In the last 10 years, I have not even tried, ate and drank whatever I wanted, and blossomed to 302. I consumed a half gallon of Friendly ice cream in 2 1/2 helpings...(the 1/2 was because I'd open another half gallon to fill the bowl a third time).
This time, I decided I simply had to do it right. I tried Dr. Atkins and said WOW, a diet where I can eat most of the things I love. I'll eat a whole lb of bacon in the course of a day, just nibbling a few slices each time the mood hits. Nevertheless, I continue to lose weight, slowly but surely.
Tomorrow morning is my weekly weigh in but I just jumped on the scales for the heck of it and if the weight holds for 16 hours, I will have shed another 7 lbs.
So, weighing out the portions is not such a big sacrifice to make in order to fill in an accurate Fitday report each day and really see what I am doing in terms of carbs and calories and protein.