Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, May-11-03, 08:59

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 143/138/110
BF:
Progress: 15%
Default Does it matter where carbs come from?

Hi everyone.. have some problems.. last night I had Mcdonald's fried chicken for dinner.. yes i know, i know.. i was w someone whom i didnt wanna freak out.. so I ate it all.. and it's soo obvious that the coating was flour.. but my qn is, issit okay if i take in carbs of that if i dont exceed my daily 20g?

Also.. today i made the stupidest mistake.. i ate normal jello instead of sugar free! it has 17 g of carbs n i only realised after eating one! as a result my total carb count is 29g for today. issit okay for pple on induction?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, May-11-03, 09:14

Plan: atkins
Stats: 155/143.0/135 Female 5'4"
BF:?
Progress: 60%

Hi Fairday - yeah, it matters because there's virtually no nutrition in the coating on the fried chicken. If you get most of your allowed carbs from vegetables, you'll get the benefit of a lot of vitamins and other nutrients. Especially on Induction, you should try to make every carb count nutritionally. Good luck!
Diane
  #3   ^
Old Sun, May-11-03, 10:12

BF:

Hi Diane, thanks for your reply! Actually what I wanted to ask is, if carbs do not exceed 20g but they are "bad" carbs, wld it affect ketosis? Also, this is a rather dumb qn.. but what is the cup size of a "cup" of vegs? a measuring cup?
  #4   ^
Old Sun, May-11-03, 11:30

Stats: 250/188/140 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 56%

i'm a newbie, but my understanding is that bad carbs bring ketosis to a rip-roaring HALT ! They have the sugar and blah blah that you are trying to purge your system of in induction/ketosis.

As for the measurements, I belive that you measure them in a measuring cup using the precooked size, esp for things that reduce significantly when cooked, like spinach.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, May-11-03, 11:53

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Does it matter where you get your carbs from? Yes and Dr. Atkins does address this somewhat in his new book, "Atkins For Life". Not only do the number of carbs matter, but where they are on the glycemic index matters as well.
Your 17 grams of carb in the Jello are much more likely to produce an insulin response and knock you out of ketosis than 17 grams of carb from, say, broccoli because those 17 grams of carb in the Jello are coming from pure sugar which will hit your system much faster.
The coating on McDonald's chicken is made from refined white flour and probably sugar as well, so would also be high on the glycemic index although the fat from the deep frying may slow down the absorption a little.
Going over your carb limit for the day on something like regular Jello may slow you down a bit or knock you out of ketosis for a day or two, but don't fret. Instead, learn from the experience and maybe pay more attention to details (like labels) from now on.

Quote:
I had Mcdonald's fried chicken for dinner.. yes i know, i know.. i was w someone whom i didnt wanna freak out.. so I ate it all..

Would they have freaked out if you had gotten a salad instead of a sandwich? Not that you should have to defend what you choose to eat (or not eat as the case may be), but if you feel that someone is going to lecture you about low carb when they see what you are eating and you'd rather avoid it, a salad is always a safe way to go and most restaurants have that option available. I have yet to have someone criticize me for eating a salad and tell me that it's soooo unhealthy for me and that I should scarf down a Whopper (or Big D, Fried chicken, etc...) instead.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, May-11-03, 12:33
Registered Member

Stats: 154/147,4/132
BF:???
Progress: 50%

Hi Fairday and welcome!

I´m a newbie too and your question about the size of a "cup" sounds very familiar to me... That´s an US system of measuring things and here in Europe we use gramms and kilogramms to measure things. Well, if you know your way around with the metric system, go to this page:

http://www.about-bread.net/measures.html

Here you´ll find everything you need...

Love
Cat
  #7   ^
Old Sun, May-11-03, 17:49
Registered Member

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 279/175.9/176 Male 180cm
BF:39.6%/22%/18%
Progress: 100%

For more measuring conversions -

http://www.convert-me.com/en/

Simon
  #8   ^
Old Sun, May-11-03, 21:36

BF:

Hi everyone, thanks for helping out a newbie like me.. actually I'm pass two weeks of induction but I wanna stay on it to lose the weight. Will definitely avoid making mistakes like regular jello again.

It's true that getting a salad wldnt draw criticismBut I live in sunny Singapore n the only salad they had in Mac was this fruit salad w pineapple n raisins... but no excuses next time.. i shall b firm abt where to eat!

Thanks again for all ur help!

Cheers,
Samantha