Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jul-04-03, 08:30

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 217/203/150 Female 5'1"
BF:not/quite/sure
Progress: 21%
Talking you're not gonna believe this

last nite was my anniversary so hubby and i went out for the evening. we had been looking forward to it for weeks. anyway, we went to one of our favorite restaurants for dinner and then to a movie. while at dinner, we were both deciding what to eat -- hubby chose this dish that looked absolutely yummy so i ordered it, too. it was all layed out on a huge platter so you could build your own.

blackened chicken tacos:
grilled chicken breast, diced fresh tomatoes, sliced fresh avocado, shredded cheese, shredded lettuce, cilantro, sour cream, black beans and tortillas. ice tea to drink and a bread basket with 2 rolls and 2 slices of carrot raisin bread to start.

well, i had decided that i wasn't going to worry about being strictly low carb that nite because it was a special occasion. i shared the bread with hubby and when our dinner came, i ate half the beans (about 1/2 cup) and 3 of my flour tortillas.

while we were at the movie, i felt a little guilty for a bit but then decided i wasn't going to worry about it -- i knew i would just go back on induction for a few days. when i woke up this morning, i headed for the scale to see how much damage i might have done.

i didn't gain anything! in fact, i lost 1 pound! weird, huh? anyway, i'm just gonna be very thankful for being able to enjoy last nite's outing without sabotaging my woe. just wanted to share.

happy 4th!!

Last edited by cetacean : Fri, Jul-04-03 at 08:33.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jul-04-03, 08:43
Registered Member

Stats: 203/168/125 Female 62 inches
BF:??
Progress: 45%

Way to go

It's funny how one thing (or lots) make you gain a pound, or lose 2!!

Every once in awhile I decide it's ok to have splurge, but mine is usually a beer! I don't have the need for the bread or potatoes (I can't believe I just said that! )

We just have to keep on keepin' on!

Take care,
Anita
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jul-04-03, 08:53

thanks, akapetey.

the best part about it is that even today, i don't crave anything i shouldn't have. in fact, a nice crispy salad sounds absolutely yummy right now. and while i certainly won't make a habit of cheating, it's nice to know that i can endulge in moderation *once in a while* which is a nice treat.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jul-04-03, 09:01

Stats: 150/138/125 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 48%
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by cetacean

i didn't gain anything! in fact, i lost 1 pound! weird, huh? anyway, i'm just gonna be very thankful for being able to enjoy last nite's outing without sabotaging my woe. just wanted to share.

happy 4th!!

I don't think the weight shows up overnight; not sure, though. I hope you're still down a few days or a week from now. As long as you're exercising, maybe you can burn those tortillas off before your body stores them as fat. Happy Anniversary!

Morgan
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jul-04-03, 09:33

Morgan1974, while i respect the point you are trying to make, i am going to just be happy and believe it is a pound lost. maybe it had something to do with what i ate, maybe it didn't, or maybe it was just my time to lose again. i have been at a stall for a couple weeks -- even gained a couple pounds one week due to my TOM -- this 1 pound loss can only be a good thing, imo.

btw, i exercise very vigorously 5 days a week. my routines consist of weight training, kickboxing, pilates and spinning.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jul-04-03, 09:35

Stats: 158/153/130 Female 5'7"
BF:Under Construction
Progress: 18%

when i cheat (usually with a slice of pizza or something fried) i tend to lose. so, i allow myself a cheat ever other weekend...seems to work for me. i;m still losing about a lb a week. im sure i would lose quicker if i didn't cheat once in a while...but i like to 'live a little.' i consider myself lucky that i can do that and not gain.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jul-04-03, 11:57
Former Couch Potato

Stats: 209/195.5/165 Female 5' 8"
BF:Oh yeah!
Progress: 31%

I believe it - many people report the same.

Not to take the wind out of your sails, but don't be too disappointed if you see a jump tomorrow. When I've overindulged, I always go down the next day on the scale but 50% of the time, I see a jump a day or two down the road. A couple times, it's taken me a few days to get back on track. My latest foray into wine for a bachelorette party has screwed me up for 2 weeks!

I'm truly not trying to be mean when you're happy. But I think it's only fair to give a balanced perspective. There's so many of these "I cheated and lost" posts that some people get the idea that a regular cheat can actually help them.

That may be true from a privileged few, but I doubt the majority could say the same.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. Best of all though, you didn't have any cravings day after - that's progress!

K.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jul-04-03, 13:00

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 198/161/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 70%

I think Kaillean has it right..people often make cause and effect associations that just are not valid.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jul-04-03, 16:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by manucpa
I think Kaillean has it right..people often make cause and effect associations that just are not valid.

i really wish that people would read what i wrote more closely. you would have read that i don't attribute my loss to my cheat - that i realize it probably has nothing to do with that. i was just trying to say how thankful i was that i did not blow my diet because of my little endulgence. i have been on this diet for 7 weeks now and have been true to it. i am not saying that to cheat is good because you can lose - i am saying that i was lucky and i'm glad.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Jul-04-03, 22:11
Registered Member

Plan: 00000
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 000
BF:
Progress: 38%

Hey....
and HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!!!!!!!!!!!
BEST WISHES:
jake
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Jul-04-03, 22:49
aznlily68

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

way to go!!!
this happens to everyone though!! but the results vary...
well...keep on LCing and happy anniversary!!
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Jul-05-03, 00:33

Stats: 225/156/125 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 69%

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY! And enjoy the loss!
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Jul-05-03, 04:20
Registered Member

Stats: 245/209/130
BF:
Progress: 31%

Cetecean,

You have lost 10lbs since starting in May, way to go.

Now and then I decide to enjoy myself. My parents 50th Anniversary last weekend for example. Then I get back on the wagon with no quilt.

I know I learn something about myself on those types of occasions. One major thing I learned that I have never done with other diets, is the ability to get back on the wagon.

One day when I am on maintenance what I learn now will help me and that is how it will be on maint.

There will always be those special occasions when you eat more carbs than you should. You know it, learn from it, and move on. This is a way of life.

So, feel good you can jump back on. Pat yourself on the back.

I wish you success and happy anniversary.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Jul-05-03, 05:51

Stats: 200/160/140 Female 5"3
BF:
Progress: 67%

Happy Anniversaryyyyyyyyyyy....I`m glad that you had a fantastic time. It`s funny how the guilt thing kicks in after having had something that wasn`t "allowed". I totally get where you`re coming from, and i`m sure that you feel great about this WOL and the way it makes you feel. How many years married, if I may ask?
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Jul-05-03, 09:17

Stats: 150/138/125 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 48%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cetacean
Morgan1974, while i respect the point you are trying to make, i am going to just be happy and believe it is a pound lost. maybe it had something to do with what i ate, maybe it didn't, or maybe it was just my time to lose again. i have been at a stall for a couple weeks -- even gained a couple pounds one week due to my TOM -- this 1 pound loss can only be a good thing, imo.

btw, i exercise very vigorously 5 days a week. my routines consist of weight training, kickboxing, pilates and spinning.

<font color="brown"><b>I think you took my post the wrong way as I was NOT criticizing you; just pointing out things I've experienced in my diet. Sooooooooooo, as long as you're happy....not to worry.

Your signature basically says the SAME thing I was saying; only in the positve as opposed to the negative.

Also, did I imply you don't exercise??? I don't think so. I guess this woe can make people a tad overly sensitive. Again, good luck to you.....