Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Candida Yeast & IBS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Mar-15-04, 11:59
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 9'10/9'10/9'0 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress:
Angry I'm at breaking point, please help!!

This is only my second day here and already another post, I do hope you will forgive me I am just so desperate. One of my "problems" is mood swings and today, boy, am I suffering! I started an "anti-candida" diet a week ago and did pretty well, I'm not following any particular diet just the guidelines really. I did have a relapse yesterday and went a bit crazy but back on it today. I've just started with a product called Yeast Raiders from Holland and Barratt and today some "friendly" bacteria. My problem is my severe moodiness, which unfortunately I am taking out on my children. It seems to be so much worse today, I get scared sometimes that I'm going to hurt my kids, they are only 4 and don't understand that mummy is poorly. I just don't know if this is candida or another problem I have. Could it be and could the reason I am so moody today be die-off? Please can anyone help? There are also a few foods I just don't know whether I should be having, some say yes some no, and I have been having quite a lot - brown rice, oats and using lemon/lime juice for cooking? Thank you for any help.
Kind regards

Oh and I seem to have got darker under my eyes and look real tired, is this normal too?

Last edited by miss-60 : Mon, Mar-15-04 at 12:07.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Mar-15-04, 12:13

Plan: My Own
Stats: 240/213/152 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 31%

Die off can cause mood swings along with many other symptoms also the yeast will send out some real heavy cravings for carbs so be aware thats its the yeast monster and not your greed thats makes you want to eat carbs!

As you live in the UK (Holland & barretts???) try Bio care supplements - they do a micopile caps which are caprylic acid, also try L glutamine from Higher Nature. As I said in my other reply Erica Whites book gives out a list of supplements to help you through this.

I have all proteins, all non starchy vegs, nut & seeds (non roasted), all fats and oils and young cheeses like cottage & edam. If I want any other carbs I can have up to 30g a day. Avoid all sugars and sweeteners, fruits of all kind and anything with vinegar, yeast, bread etc in. I also avoid most grains - I have the occasional ryvita though. Best thing of all is that I don't get hungry and crave anymore!

I was going through this when my sons were young and you'd be amazed at how much they can cope with if you include them by explaining why you feel like you do and how they can help. They're also very good at taking the biscuit out of your hand and telling you off for eating it!!!

Good luck!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Mar-15-04, 12:14

Plan: My Own
Stats: 240/213/152 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 31%

Me again - funny you should say that about the dark circles!!! I've noticed that too! probably toxins comming away???
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Mar-15-04, 14:49
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:
Smile

Hi, thank you so much for your reply, it really makes all the difference! And thank you for your advice. Are we ok with some cheese then? and brown rice? is that a no-no? It's all so confusing isn't it! I will get hold of the book by Erica White, I have a book but haven't really found it ever so helpful. Thnak you again!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-04, 08:26
Plemorphist

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle II
Stats: 150/129/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:??%/??%/ 22%
Progress: 105%

The Candida Handbook by Dr. Crook is a good resource for starting out.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-04, 08:36

Plan: Primal Blueprint
Stats: 230/136/136 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Miss 60
you may also find Dr Atkins new Diet Revolution helpful because it has a whole chapter on candida, with food lists. Its in UK libraries now !

Dont forget, too, that as your kids are under 4, you can approach your health visitor for help. They also often have loads of contact groups locally that can help.

Also - as you mention that you are unsure if it is candida, do check with your GP. You can get a general "MOT" then , to exclude any underlying problem.

good luck !
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-04, 10:36
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:
Smile

Hi,
I have been to my doctor, about 5 or 6 times now, and had various blood tests and checks but nothing came back. I am now on the waiting list to see a therapist! I have 90% of the candida symptoms, including a fungal infection on my thumb nails and I passed the spit test with flying colours so I'm pretty sure it is candida. Do you know if it can take a while to feel any improvement or should it be straight away? I've only been taking the yeast raiders and probiotics for 3/4 days but I've been on th diet over a week although I had a relapse on sunday and baked cookies! I'm not actually feeling any better, tho I do seem to be sleeping better.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Mar-27-04, 00:06

Plan: Atkins diet
Stats: 141/141/110 Female 161cm
BF:
Progress:
Default moody

I think it depends on a person when the die-off symptoms occur. To be more specific it depends of ability of your body to fight it and also how severe it is. If you've had it for years, it may take a bit longer. Also you may be experiencing carb withdrawal symptoms. The candida itself is causing horrible mood swings (depression)... combined with cutting out carbs, and you turn into a monster:-)
I don't have kids so in my case my parents suffer from my mood swings. Give yourself a few days and see if anything has changed.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jun-22-04, 05:47
Registered Member

Plan: CKD - modified
Stats: 160/148/125 Female 68
BF:22%/20.6%/14%
Progress: 34%

I would suggest that you use Fitday to track your food intake and make sure you're getting all your necessary nutrients and whatnot. You'll also find that supplementing *heavily* with fish oil (not fish LIVER oil, but plain fish body oil) helps Candida sufferers greatly. 9-12 pills per day of 1000mg pills is supposed to be the 'magic dose' according to people I know who've tried it as therapy for IBS and Candida.

I would highly suggest that if you have Candida that you adopt a strict low-carb diet for about 6 months...depending on how bad it is, any carb can feed the yeastie beasties that are making you sick. Rice, oats, all of it are NOT ok for Candida sufferers just starting out on the path to recovery. Later on, you can start to slowly add things like that back in, but why make your body fight so hard right now?

Good luck. You can do it :-)