Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Sep-03-02, 15:10

Plan: Six week Body Makeover
Stats: 251.4/220.4/135 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 27%
Default Hidden Carbs in Atkins Advantage Bars?

When I run the stats on the "Chocolate Coconut Bar" put out by Atkins through the Hidden Carb calculator, I do not understand the results. On the bar's label, it says, "For those watching their carbs, count only 2 grams, as all other carbs (including fiber) have a minimal impact on blood sugar".

The stats are:
kCal 230
Fat 11
Protein 19
Carbs 21
Fiber 9

Actual Carb Count is 17.90 g

On another flavour, "Creamy Berry Cheesecake", it says, "Polydextrose and glycerine, while included in the "Calories" count have been omitted from the "Total Carb" count as their impact on blood sugar/insulin levels is negligble".
The stats are:
kCal 220
Fat 11
Protein 18
Carbs 2.5
Fiber 2

Actual Carb count is 16.18 g

How can either of these bars be sold by Atkins as "Low Carb"?

Can they be used in a low-carb plan? Are they "legal" because they do not contain maltitol?

Has anyone had good weight loss while using these bars?

Thank you in advance for your help and wisdom!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Sep-03-02, 15:29

Plan: Atkins/Kaufmann
Stats: 230/203/140
BF:48
Progress: 30%

Some folks can eat the bars and still lose weight, others can't. All you can is try em!

I can get away with eating them, maybe two a week. The 'net' carbs are those carbs left, minus the fiber, that have any impact on blood sugar levels.

So, technically, they are 'low carb' bars.

I've found, overall, that the less processed foods I eat, the better, LC wise and health wise.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Sep-03-02, 17:46

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Hi Skyspinner!

I have to agree with Soteria. Low carb bars are a YMMV thing. Some people seem to be able to eat as many as they like and still lose weight, others will stall even eating them occasionally. Overall, you are better off sticking with as many unprocessed foods as possible and using the bars as only an occasional treat instead of a daily part of your menu, but you'll have to find out for yourself how they affect you.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Sep-04-02, 07:23

BF:

Thank you very much for your input, ladies, but you really answered a question I hadn't asked! I think I figgered out for myself that I can try them and see what happens.

What I am actually trying to get at is whether or not the Atkins products are to be trusted. Just now I think they are really not any different from any of the rest of the stuff on the market.

And when I'm in the store, trying to make the "buy decision" on a can of shake or bake mix that costs $25.00, the name "Atkins" really should mean something! I do not want to get stuck w/ a can of something horrible that cost more than my week's supply of cream cheese.

Thanks again....
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Sep-04-02, 11:08

Plan: Atkins/Kaufmann
Stats: 230/203/140
BF:48
Progress: 30%

I trust Atkins and his company because this is his baby and his reputation is one the line here.

He isn't doing anything immoral or sneaky or underhanded. He's not trying to 'put one over on us' or anything. All low carb products have 'net' or 'ultilizable' carbs as opposed to 'real' amount of carbs. As I understand it, it's how fast or intensely the carbs affect the blood sugar levels.

In fact, he's changed his labels to be as honest and open about them as possible.

If you want to get the shakes cheaper, shop around!

www.vitaminshoppe.com has them for under $14.00!!! I'd never pay $25.00 a can for them! Way too much.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Sep-04-02, 11:19

BF:

Thanks! I'll try that!!