Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Sep-30-02, 16:44

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 225/200/160 Female 5'5''
BF:
Progress: 38%
Question Fiber

Can someone please explain the relationship between carbohydrates and fiber? TIA
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Sep-30-02, 16:50
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Can you be a bit more specific?

Karen
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Sep-30-02, 17:03

BF:

I saw a recipe that measured the amount of carbohydrates per serving. There were 9.18 carbs per serving but they also calculated carbs minus fiber which was much lower at 6.56. Does that mean that I have been overcalculating my carbs? Or is the "fiber factor" only a factor in different low-carb diets?
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Sep-30-02, 17:28
Registered Member

Plan: SuManKins
Stats: 321/249/221 Female 64 inches
BF:Let's not go there
Progress: 72%
bnencouraged... i thought you was on induction? It's not really that hard or technical~ i hope you find an answer to your question tho
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Sep-30-02, 17:39
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:

Hi Kirsty,

The carbs in the fibre are not absorbed by the body so no, you don't need to count them.

Dr Atkins explains it on page 77 of the latest edition of his book.

Kirsty, I see you haven't yet read the book. I can't stress strongly enough to you just how helpful it is to not only read the book through before you start, but also to have it handy as a resource.

Cheers.

Rosebud
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Sep-30-02, 17:53

BF:

FIRST OF ALL,
YES, I READ THE BOOK A FEW YEARS AGO! IT WAS BORROWED FROM A FRIEND. IF YOU MUST KNOW, I DO NOT HAVE THE MONEY TO PURCHASE ONE AT THE MOMENT AND HAVE NOT HAD THE FIRST OPPORTUNITY TO CHECK ONE OUT AT THE LIBRARY. I DON'T WANT TO HEAR THIS EVERYTIME I MAKE A POST. HOWEVER, I DO APPRECIATE THE PAGE REFERENCE.

SECONDLY,
I DIDN'T REALIZE THAT IT WAS A CRIME TO ASK A QUESTION ON THE NEWBIES QUESTIONS BOARD

THIRDLY,
I DON'T APPRECIATE PEOPLE BEING PATRONIZING
Quote:
It's not really that hard or technical

SO IN THE FUTURE PLEASE DON'T RESPOND TO MY POSTS IF YOU DON'T HAVE SOMETHING KIND OR PRODUCTIVE TO SAY TO ME. THIS IS ENOUGH TO PUT ME OFF THIS SITE.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Sep-30-02, 18:09
Registered Member

Plan: SuManKins
Stats: 321/249/221 Female 64 inches
BF:Let's not go there
Progress: 72%
Unhappy No Need for Shouting

Kirsty, It was no one's intention to upset you,including mine. I was not patronizing you, and I am sorry that you feel that way.
Quote:
i thought you was on induction? It's not really that hard or technical~ i hope you find an answer to your question tho
The reason that I said that was because there are not really that many foods that one has on induction, & I didn't see where you were coming from entirely with your post as most foods on induction don't have many carbs or fiber.There is nothing wrong with asking questions, it is a great way to get answers or be directed to where answers are.

Perhaps if you would put that you had read the book at the bottom of your profile, that reading the book would not be given as a suggestion so much to you... Other members only suggest that because there is so much information in it,that is helpful, and since it doesn't show that you have read it...

No one wants to see you be upset and leave,there are so many great ppl here, who would be more than happy to help you on your plan... and since I seem to upset you, I will refrain from posting any more replies to your posts.~I apologize for the wrong you think I done & I wish you luck on your weight loss~

Last edited by suze_c : Mon, Sep-30-02 at 18:15.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Sep-30-02, 18:14
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:

Quote:
I DO NOT HAVE THE MONEY TO PURCHASE ONE AT THE MOMENT AND HAVE NOT HAD THE FIRST OPPORTUNITY TO CHECK ONE OUT AT THE LIBRARY.

Kirsty, because it really is important, how about going to www.atkinscenter.com You'll find the info from the latest book there.
Quote:
I DIDN'T REALIZE THAT IT WAS A CRIME TO ASK A QUESTION ON THE NEWBIES QUESTIONS BOARD

I did answer your question.

I'm not quite sure why you are so angry. We are trying to help.

Rosebud
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Sep-30-02, 19:36

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

In the 1970 and the 1992 editions of the book, Atkins did not subtract fiber carbs. In the 1999 edition (blue cover) he decided to subtract the fibre grams from the total carb count. (Protein Power Plan had done that in their books in the 1990's.) Atkins continues to subtract fibre from total carbs in the latest 2002 - red cover- edition.

So now, you can read labels and see total carbohydrates given as one number. Then below and indented, the fibre count is given. So you can subtract the fibre number from the carb number and the lower number is the Effective Carb Count or ECC.

Please try to assume that any mentor answering someone's questions wants to be of help and is not patronizing or trying to put someone down. The written word is very easy to misunderstand as we have only the words and not the smiles, or body language, or tones of voice as in a telephone conversation.

Many people turn up here with only the sketchiest idea of what Atkins is all about and want everything explained right away. As it turns out that it has been several years since you read Atkins, it was not an unreasonable suggestion that you read the book. Since no one knows another person's financial state here, no slight was intended.

This board is a pretty peaceful place most of the time, thanks to the Moderators who maintain it. Flaming (or yelling in capital letters) is not desirable behaviour between members. I hope things can cool down now and go on from here.

Last edited by tofi : Mon, Sep-30-02 at 19:43.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Sep-30-02, 19:58
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:

Hello bNcouraged!

As one of the moderators of this forum, I would like to apologize to you. I'm sorry the thread caused you grief.

Please stick around. You will find that that it's a helpful and encouraging site. The more you use it, the better it gets!

Karen