Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Sep-01-03, 16:10

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 80%
Default Diet Pepsi Slurpee Made w. Splenda, Erythritol, and Tagatose ???

http://www.bayarea.com/mld/mercuryn...ood/6630963.htm

Quote:
Until now, 7-Eleven Inc., parent of the Slurpee brand, and Icee Co., which has been making frozen, carbonated drinks since 1961, had little luck developing a zero-calorie, sugar-free version of their slushy sodas.

The reason: Sugar substitutes, such as NutraSweet, didn't behave like the real thing when subjected to freezing temperatures.

Desperate for a breakthrough, 7-Eleven challenged researchers at the nation's two leading soda brands -- Pepsico Inc. and Coca-Cola Inc. -- to develop a workable recipe.

The challenge paid off: Diet Pepsi Slurpees arrived Friday at 7-Eleven stores nationwide.

``We finally cracked the code,'' said Dave DeCecco, a spokesman for Pepsi-Cola North America.

Because a slushy soft drink had always required sugar to give it a smooth, semi-frozen consistency that can be ``slurped'' through a straw, developing a sugar-free product was difficult.

Every sugar-substitute formula researchers tried tended to turn the drink into a block of ice, said John Ryckevic, the Slurpee and Big Gulp category manager for the Dallas-based convenience-store chain.

Then there was the problem of temperature: Regular Slurpees freeze at 24 to 28 degrees Fahrenheit, while non-sugar prototypes seem to need temperatures a few degrees higher.

Pepsi researchers finally settled on a winning formula consisting of three sweeteners -- sucralose, erythritol and tagatose -- that allows the diet cola to freeze with the right consistency without compromising its taste.

Sucralose is Splenda, Erythritol is a Sugar Alcohol, Tagatose is a new "Low Calorie" Sweetener. The description (http://www.naturlose.com/naturlose-what.htm) sounds like a Sugar Alcohol.

Last edited by cc48510 : Mon, Sep-01-03 at 16:21.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Sep-02-03, 17:10
Registered Member

Stats: 280/203/200 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%

It is identical in composition and structure to fructose, except for the fourth carbon atom in the chain, upon which the hydrogen and hydroxyl groups have been switched:

Research suggests that it is poorly absorbed (like a sugar alcohol, with the same possible resulting side-effects) and does not impair blood glucose levels.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Sep-03-03, 08:13

Plan: low carb
Stats: 371/262/140 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 47%

slurpees are one of my all time favorite things.

i tried the diet pepsi slurpee over the weekend and wasn't overly impressed. there was still an aftertaste.

now, if diet coke could come up with one, that would be a good thing, since i like diet coke better.

but, i'll take what i can get.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-03, 15:07

Stats: 302/290/200 Male 71
BF:
Progress: 12%

Nutritional info on the diet pepsi slurpee:

from http://www.adamparnes.com/archives/00000382.html

"What resulted from Pepsi's project was a zero-calorie, nonfat product with 2 grams of sugar in an eight-ounce serving, 25 milligrams of sodium and 2 grams of carbohydrates. An eight-ounce regular Pepsi Slurpee has 100 calories, 27 grams of sugar and 28 grams of carbohydrates."
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-03, 15:33
Under Construction

Plan: LC/BFL
Stats: 245/148/140 Female 5'4"
BF:less/than/B4
Progress: 92%

I have to go out now and see if I can get me one of those! Thanks for the info!
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-03, 16:03
Wombat Ashramite

Stats: 00/00/00 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricW
"What resulted from Pepsi's project was a zero-calorie, nonfat product with 2 grams of sugar in an eight-ounce serving, 25 milligrams of sodium and 2 grams of carbohydrates. An eight-ounce regular Pepsi Slurpee has 100 calories, 27 grams of sugar and 28 grams of carbohydrates."

How interesting, so if it has 2 grams of sugar, that means it has 8 calories, not zero, since each gram of carb has 4 calories. It's so bizzare how the FDA allows deceptive labeling. This isn't really a big deal since 8 calories isn't going to kill anyone, but it just goes to show you can't always believe the label.

xo Dig
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-03, 16:17

Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by digwig
How interesting, so if it has 2 grams of sugar, that means it has 8 calories, not zero, since each gram of carb has 4 calories. It's so bizzare how the FDA allows deceptive labeling. This isn't really a big deal since 8 calories isn't going to kill anyone, but it just goes to show you can't always believe the label.

xo Dig

The 2g probably come from the Tagatose. Tagatose is technically a sugar, but is said to act like a Sugar Alcohol (partially absorbed with very little glycemic response)...Hence, the lower Caloric Value. I believe it is labelled as 1.5 kcal/g instead of 4. Anything with 3 kcal or less can be called ZERO Calorie under current regulations. I have not tried Tagatose yet, and have no idea how it really effects the body.