Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-01-03, 17:48

Plan: low carb & Atkins
Stats: 318/296/195 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 18%
Default Aidells sausages - somthing dosn't add up...

those of you (West coast) who are familiar with this product.. It comes in may yummy flavors, and my favorite is "Chicken Apple". It says 98% fat free, but this can be fixed with some olive oil... It also says <1 gm of carb and I was very happy to read this.
However, something didn't add up. The sausages taste sweet, when you cook them, the "juice" that come out caramelizes on the bottom of the pan as if it had sugar in it, and it is loaded with little chunks of apple... I can not believe this product has less then one gram of carbs in it..
How would I go about testing it? How accurate are those lables?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-01-03, 17:54

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Can you post the nutrition information (calories, grams of fat, etc...)? We can check the math and see if it all adds up.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jul-01-03, 18:07

BF:

Chicken & Apple
Fully coocked
3lb package from Costco

Ingredients:
Chicken, dried Apples, Fruit Juice Concentrate (Pineapple, Pear, Peach and Apple), Salt, Spices, Sodium Nitrite, in a Pork Casing.

Nutrition Facts:
Serving Size: 1 link (100g)
Calories 210
Calories From Fat 150
Total Fat 16g
Saturated Fat 5g
Cholesterol 90mg
Sodium 730mg
Total Carbohydrate 1g (Less then 1%)
Protein 16g

info on their website
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jul-01-03, 19:09

BF:

Wow! With 16 grams of fat, I'd say they're far from 98% fat free...which is almost 68% of your calories from fat in this product.

Okay...we have:

16 grams of fat x 9 calories per gram = 144 calories
16 grams of protein x 4 calories per gram = 64 calories

total so far is 208 calories which leaves..

2 calories from carb (or less than 1 gram).

It looks like the math adds up and these really do have less than 1 gram of carb per serving.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jul-01-03, 19:22

BF:

Oh I am sure the NUMBERS add up, but I am not sure that the number represent the product... With dried apples as the second ingrediant on the list, and concentrated fruit juice as 3rd, and all this is less then one gram of carbs?

They taste too good to be only 1 gram of carb..
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jul-01-03, 20:09

BF:

In that case, you may want to contact the manufacturer to question their numbers. Based on the amount of fat, protein and calories reported, they have less than 1 gram of carb each but I suppose that a labeling error could always occur.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jul-01-03, 20:46

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/180/180
BF:6%
Progress: 100%

I just Finished eating those for dinner, they're great!! I Have always trusted that label as well, but always wondered. It is possible that they are responsible for some recent water retention on myself?? I also wonder why the ones without apple have more carbs. I once bought a package of the artichoke ones that said less than one gram, only to find that the next bag I bought said 2 grams. I think It's time to question the source. Let us know what they say and I'll do the same if I hear first. Let's pray It's true cause we don't want to lose those babies!!

thanks for the post,
Jonas.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jul-02-03, 09:17
Registered Member

Plan: CAD/Atkins
Stats: 182/165/140 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 40%
Default Labelling - fact or fiction

I was at the grocery store yesterday and checking out labels on almonds. I have already purchased a brand I like but thought I would look into this brand I never purchased. Not only did the carbs not add up, but counting the calories from protein and fat came up to more than the total calories listed !! According to what I have read, manufacturers can fib about the carbs but NOT calories, protein or fat. The can of salted almonds had more carbs than the smoked ones too !! So when in doubt, I usually set the item down and look for another brand, simple as that.

Lucky

Last edited by Luckygurl : Wed, Jul-02-03 at 09:23.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jul-02-03, 09:24

Stats: 197/199/170 Female 68 in
BF:
Progress: -7%

Take a look at the serving size they are using on the Aidell's package. Is it one link? The last time I looked at those the serving size was ~ 1/2 a link. Apples are pretty high in carbs - I have been avoiding the chicken apple sausages, even though I love them. They have, as you mentioned, many other varieties.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jul-02-03, 09:26

BF:

The reason I brought this up (the sausages) is that I am a semi pro cook (chef will be a strong word ) and I know how sugar looks whan cooked. Whan I try to brown these sausages they stick to the pan link the are made of fruit! the pan dripping caramelize and burn just like fruit juice would, and there's a lot of dripping in one link... THERE IS NO WAY THAT ALL THIS SUGAR IS ONLY ONE GRAM..
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jul-02-03, 09:27

Stats: 197/199/170 Female 68 in
BF:
Progress: -7%

Oooops - just looked at your previous post - you did say serving size was 1 link. Hmmmmm.