Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-03, 11:31

Plan: atkins
Stats: 160/143/125 Female 5-6
BF:got/luv/handles
Progress: 49%
Default I havent been taking vitamins :(

So Ive noticed my circulation has gotten worse, it has been the best. I woke up this morning and I literally could not move my right arm. I wasnt feeling any sensation in it, it was really scary, it wasnt just liek my arm falling asleep. Ive been trying to contimplate what might have caused this, and then I realized that I havent remembed to take vitamins in like 3 weeks. When I do take them, its centerum a multi-vitamin. So anyone who is pretty education about nutrtion, what vitamins do I need to be taking? Do you think that could be effecting my terrible circulation? Please help!

Last edited by skibunnie : Fri, Sep-19-03 at 12:51.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-03, 11:54

bump......
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-03, 12:44

this is kind a concern to me, hopefully i will get some advice!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-03, 12:46
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 222/197/180 Female 5' 8"
BF:way/2/much
Progress: 60%

I take daily, multi vitamin, vitamin C, Mag, Calcium, and Potassium. I've noticed a big difference in the way I feel and also no more leg cramps!! I got the mg's from a reply Rosebud did in a thread a month or two ago. Not sure where that is now. She seems pretty knowledgable about what mg's to take daily while on this WOE.

Good Luck
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-03, 13:07

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by skibunnie
So Ive noticed my circulation has gotten worse, it has been the best. I woke up this morning and I literally could not move my right arm. I wasnt feeling any sensation in it, it was really scary, it wasnt just liek my arm falling asleep.!
This sounds like a magnesium deficiency.

Quote:
Deficiency symptoms have three categories:
  • Early symptoms include irritability, anorexia, fatigue, insomnia, and muscle twitching. Other symptoms include poor memory, apathy, confusion, and reduced ability to learn.
  • Moderate deficiency symptoms consist of rapid heartbeat and other cardiovascular changes.
  • Severe deficiency symptoms could lead to tingling, numbness, and a sustained contraction of the muscles, along with hallucinations and delirium.

Here is a list of the 3 big ones all LCers should be taking, and their doses:

Multi, Cal/Mag, potassium

If you try searching for any one of those 3 in the supplements forum you'll get many posts with lots of advice. It's often faster than waiting for an anwer

Nat
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-03, 14:26

Plan: The Obesity Code
Stats: 563/521/199 Male 6'4"
BF:
Progress: 12%

Quote:
Originally Posted by skibunnie
So Ive noticed my circulation has gotten worse, it has been the best. I woke up this morning and I literally could not move my right arm. I wasnt feeling any sensation in it, it was really scary, it wasnt just liek my arm falling asleep. Ive been trying to contimplate what might have caused this, and then I realized that I havent remembed to take vitamins in like 3 weeks. When I do take them, its centerum a multi-vitamin. So anyone who is pretty education about nutrtion, what vitamins do I need to be taking? Do you think that could be effecting my terrible circulation? Please help!

Listen to natrushka!!!! She knows what she is talking about. I asked the same question you are asking and she answered all my Q's. You might want to look at this thread: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=137505
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-03, 15:14

Stats: 214.9/187/150 Female 5'5.5"
BF:
Progress: 43%

What kind of work do you do? My hairdresser friend awoke one day and could not mover her hands. A series of massages to break up scar tissue from overuse syndrome soon had her back on track. People who to repetitive jobs can easily end up with scar tissue they know nothing about until it kicks them in the pants.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-03, 15:22

I know its not from work, I just have bad circulation that is getting significiantly worse. Im hoping that the yoga class im taking will help with it. Because montana gets very cold, and when Im skiing I need to get ciruculation to my extremedies. Im deffinatly going to look into the magnesium thing, thank you!
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-03, 16:00
Phoenixa

Stats: 164/136.6/132 Female 172/5'8
BF:Yes.
Progress: 86%

Definitely magnesium (400-500mg), calcium (1000mg) and potassium as Natrushka says. They're essential. You might also want to take some extra zinc (15mg) and folic acid (400mcg). Often recommended for calf cramps/"restless legs".

Other natural blood vessel-widening supplements are B-complex (folic acid among them) and Gingko Biloba - sold in health shops.

Last edited by gilibel : Fri, Sep-19-03 at 16:43.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-03, 16:36

Stats: 185/167/135 Female 5'4"
BF:more than I need!
Progress: 36%

Eek, I think I need to take more than I have been. But come to think of it, I havent been waking up with hands asleep, in the week Ive been taking cal/mag/zinc and potassium.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-03, 19:16
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

You might look into Twin Labs daily vitamin. It is the only one I've found so far that doesn't have sugar or starchy fillers.

The yoga will probably help imensly. You might look to see if you can find one specificaly for circulation. If not one for flexability doing backbends would be good. The deep breathing really helps improve all over circulation.

You might also try weight lifting. Muscle has alot better circulation then fat. This helps get rid of cellulite, raises your metabolism, and can help get things moving.

If you are cold alot, you might try coconut oil. Some on here swear by it for raising body temprature when taken as a suppliment. I take it occasionaly instead of my flax seed oil. I just love the taste if you get a good natural product. Wildreness family naturals is good, and NOW just came out with oen thats good. Stay away from spectrum naturals though. tHere's is over processed and the taste was horrid.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-03, 21:25
Phoenixa

Stats: 164/136.6/132 Female 172/5'8
BF:Yes.
Progress: 86%

I'll second that. TwinLabs products are really good and pure. I use their TripleWheyFuel and VegeFuel (soy protein/SUPRO) as well. Unfortunately TwinLab vitamins are quite expensive over here, maybe they're cheaper in the US.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-03, 21:43
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

...and a trip to the doctor to rule out any more serious underlying conditions. Not trying to scare you, but it's the first thing I'd do if I had the symptoms you describe.