Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-22-03, 13:31
Italian Princess

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 278/262/115 Female 4' 11"
BF:
Progress: 10%
Unhappy Am I Getting Impatient?

Hello Everyone:

Today is my 2 week anniversary of starting Atkins and the end of my 'official' induction period.

My concern is this. During the first 8 days of induction I lost 12 lbs. I thought this was amazing and I did my little "dance" around the scale.

However, when I weighed myself today, I have lost nothing more and I think I might of even gained a pound!

I have not changed the number of carbs I am ingesting or my activity level. I did eat more poultry, but it had mayo in it. My fat : protien ratio has reamained at 70:25 for the most part with 20 or less carbs per day.

I am a bit worried that maybe the party is over. I have been eating anywhere from 1400 - 2000 calories per day. Could I be eating too much?

Is there something wrong or am I just being impatient? Should I remain on induction?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-22-03, 13:42

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Re: Am I Getting Impatient?

Quote:
Originally posted by Alleine
am I just being impatient?
Yep, that sounds like impatience to me

When your body does something dramatic like drop 12 lbs, it needs time to regroup and get used to the new lay of the land. The last thing you'd want to do right now, IMHO, is change something that has proven successful.

What you're going through is very common - both the 'pause' in loss and the impatience. Remember, is a WOL!!

Hang tight
Nat
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-22-03, 13:49
The evolution of me

Stats: 273/182/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

Take a deep breath....Nat is correct here. You need to have realistic expectations regarding this WOE.

The average loss would be approximately 10% of their goal of weight to lose during induction.

----You want to lose 160lbs and lost 12 so far so you appear to be pretty close.

Average loss after that would be 5% of their goal to lose left each week after.

Please take measurements too because with the lc lifestyle you tend to lose inches faster AND you sometimes lose inches instead of lbs (as Nat said your body is catching up).

Now go and enjoy eating without guilt and get ready for the slow process that must occur for your body to be what you always wished it would be.

All the best!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-22-03, 13:53
Italian Princess

Stats: 278/262/115 Female 4' 11"
BF:
Progress: 10%
Default You Guys Are Great

You guys are great. Thanks
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jan-22-03, 15:48
Registered Member

Stats: 292/273/190
BF:
Progress: 19%

Alleine:

I am in the EXACT same boat. I have just finished Induction, I lost 12 lbs in the first 9 days and nothing the next 5. It's nice to hear I'm not the only one who was puzzled and frustrated by this.

Nat/Ikon thanks for the reassurance.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jan-22-03, 15:50
Don't dream it be it

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 292.4/238.4/165 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

Actually, I believe it is 10% during induction and 5% each month thereafter, not week.

Beth
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jan-22-03, 16:52
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/BodyRx
Stats: 209/169/150 Female 67 inches
BF:43%/32%/24%
Progress: 68%

I can understand your frustration. I had the exact same experience as well. I lost 9 pounds the first week of induction and then nothing the second week. In fact, I fluctuated up and down a pound through the whole second week.

Thankfully I took measurements -- I lost 12.5 inches in total.
So I really recommend doing that.... losing inches feels almost as good as losing weight :-) I bet you've lost inches.

I know from reading these boards that stalls are likely to happen... especially as the body adjusts to this new way of burning energy. You just have to trust that it's working and give it time. The weight lost will kick in again. Mine finally did yesterday.

You can also try making small adjustments to your eating. Try cutting out cheese. Or upping your carbs by a few grams for one day. Yesterday was the first day I went over 20 grams (23... and not on purpose) and voila! Today I was down 2 pounds. It seems like the key really is to make sure you're eating enough calories too.

Anyhow... best of luck to you.
Try to keep the resolve!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jan-22-03, 17:54

Stats: 286/261/160 Female 5'8"
BF:BMI43.5%/39.7%/24%
Progress: 20%

Yes, I think you are being impatient. But I sure understand - I am the queen of impatience land. On a day to day basis, it seems so darned slow. I have been on Atkins for six months and have averaged about six pounds a month. I know I could lose faster if I cut out some things (cream, cheese, basically everything good) but I would rather have a food plan I can enjoy and really stick with than feel deprived. Which never works for me anyway. And we look better if we lose slowly and steadily. Hang in there! You have done great and it WILL come off. Cindi
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jan-22-03, 19:33

Stats: 000/000/153
BF:2 much for now
Progress: 0%
Default say what?

You say you lost 12 pounds and you are upset? WOO HOO!!!! That is fantastic. Go go go......

Have you ever eaten so well to lose 12 pounds??????????

#10   ^
Old Thu, Jan-23-03, 07:41

Plan: aTKINS
Stats: 158/158/125
BF:
Default I am upset

Everyone talks about how much they've lost in induction and I have lost nothing yet!!!!!!! What is wrong. I drink coffee but it's dcaf is that alright? I don't know what I'm doing wrong! My stick turned pink 1 day just 1 day and now its nada nothing HELP!
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jan-23-03, 08:00
The evolution of me

BF:

Lor- Sorry you are having a rough time but without your daily menus or knowing how long you have been in induction it is hard to guess what your issue is.

Start a journal and let us try to help you.

Note: each cup decaf is 8oz = 1 carb, half and half or heavy cream is 1 oz = 1 carb, each packet of sweetner is 1 carb. Are you counting these??? Also coffee/tea/decaf are all dieretics. Are you drinking extra water to compensate?

All the best.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Jan-23-03, 08:13

BF:
Default thanks here's what I'm eating

I am new at all of this so I haven't posted a journal yet. I usually drink 4 cups of decaf coffee, and eat 2 eggs 2 strips of bacon for lunch I eat turkey or tuna salad and for dinner I eat a salad with chicken or a burger or turkey. Last night I had a piece of rotissaire chicken and a salad with cheese pepperoni salsa and a small dab of sour cream
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Jan-23-03, 08:28
The evolution of me

BF:

First of all - How long have you been on induction?

How about your portion sizes? Do you have enough fat? Are your salads w/ mayo or high fat dressings? Eating enough is big here.
Are you drinking enough water?
Are you drinking your decaf black?
Cheese pepperoni salsa (what is that and what is the carb count per serving and how many servings did you have)?
Are you regular yet (constipation sometimes occurs when you change eating habits like this so drastically). That is why a fiber supplement of some kind and water is so important.

There is so much to look at here. We can all try to help you.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Jan-23-03, 08:34

BF:
Default reply

I drink my coffee black. The pepperoni slices are 0 carbs so is the cheese and the sour cream is 1 carb per 2 tbsp. I eat a cup of salad twice daily. The salsa is 0 carbs I use this on my salad or ranch dressing. I am not constipated at all! If anything I may not be eating enough fats. I just lost 50lbs on weight watchers and it's hard for me to eat alot of fat I have to unbrainwash myself. lol Should I eat more meats, or what?
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Jan-23-03, 08:48

BF:
Default Induction

This is my 3rd week of induction