Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Feb-17-03, 18:28

Plan: Protien Power
Stats: 245/197/205
BF:
Progress: 120%
Default I'm having quite an unusual problem with the LC diet..

My problem is not losing weight with the diet.. in fact I have lost a ton of weight on it and am right where I want to be. The problem is I don't think I'm eating enough throughout the day. I'm just not hungry enough and I think I'm not getting enough calories in the day which is slowing my metabolism and possibly contributing to the loss of my hair. I'm 25, very healthy and feel very good. I take multiple vitamins every day. If I eat a big meal for lunch its hard to eat dinner becasue I'm just not hungry. Snacking on lunch meats, etc.. is a dinner for me right now. Eating 2 full meals a day is not that easy. I don't know, maybe I'm being overly concerned. Anyone with ideas?

by the way, when i'm not on the diet, having a appetite is noo problem what so ever, so its not a medical condition of any sort.

thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Feb-17-03, 20:12

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quick weight loss on ANY form of diet, including low fat & low cal, can lead to hair loss. The follicles kind of 'shut down' for a while. But they do come back and begin to regrow hairs. Don't worry.

If you do a search here, using the above, search for "hair AND loss". There are threads that talk about this and recommend which supplements will support the regrowth.

How about eating more small meals instead of trying to eat a 'whole dinner'. A snack sized portion of protein plus some veggies or salad would do.

Congratulations on losing so well.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Feb-17-03, 20:30

BF:

well I have used the search function many times, and it seemed as those the only ones.. or about 99% of those who experienced hair loss were women. So thats why I was wondering.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Feb-18-03, 10:29
Stepford Malfunction

Plan: FatFlush inspired
Stats: 143.5/132/130 Female 62.5 inches
BF:37%/25.%/19%
Progress: 85%

Hi Matt,

Maybe you just need a little time to start eating more. You say you are perfectly healthy, I hate to suggest this but as you are a male is it possible that you are just one of those who is uh....how shall is say preparing to allow us to see the beauty of your unadorned skull a little early in life. Is male pattern baldness a pattern in your family? Please please don't hit me
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Feb-18-03, 10:48
Registered Member

Stats: 292/273/190
BF:
Progress: 19%

I wouldn't worry about it, look what Atkins has done for my hair.
<-------------<<<<

j/k

I've found I have a reduced appetite as well. Before dieting it was no big deal for me to eat two Big Macs and a super-size fry for lunch and then still have a couple of those frozen Chicken Cordon Blues for dinner.

Alas that seems like so long ago even though it was only December. Now-a-days I feel full or even over-full just from drinking my water. (Which I never drank before.)

The key I have found for me is to make sure I eat breakfast. I never used to and now that's a way for me to get a good third of my calories in for the day.

Today I had a double Moch Danish. Tasty, yet not overfilling (until I dumped my water on it.)
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Feb-18-03, 12:12

BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by KoKo
Hi Matt,

Maybe you just need a little time to start eating more. You say you are perfectly healthy, I hate to suggest this but as you are a male is it possible that you are just one of those who is uh....how shall is say preparing to allow us to see the beauty of your unadorned skull a little early in life. Is male pattern baldness a pattern in your family? Please please don't hit me

yeah I understand this is part of the problem, however I don't think undernourishing myself with fewer calories would help but I just need to figure out someway to speed my metabolism back up to par really. I would never hit a fellow low carber!!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Feb-18-03, 12:31

Plan: BFL
Stats: 324/193.5/195 Male 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 101%

Try eating smaller meals more often throughout the day. Start with 3 meals and work your way up.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Feb-18-03, 14:28
Don't Call Me Sugar

Stats: 293/287/230 Female 65 inches
BF: :^( :^| :^)
Progress: 10%

Try eating more carbs earlier in the day - having some fruit with your breakfast and that kind of thing might help stimulate your appetite for the rest of the day. I find that it helps me - I've been having the same problem.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Feb-18-03, 16:54
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%
Smile Hi

I know that low carbing has accelerated my hair growth. Oh I lose the hair but it grows back pretty fast. Overall my hair hasn't thinned anymore.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Feb-19-03, 04:53

Plan: Bernstein/Atkins
Stats: 210/180/125
BF:
Progress: 35%

Wait and see. You may be 'shedding'. Humans will shed sometimes (I think every 7 years or something like that). I know I went through a period of time where my hair was coming out, but then a few weeks later I had this halo of short new hairs growing all over my head. (Which contrasted starkly to my butt-length older hairs)
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Feb-19-03, 07:54
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
I'm just not hungry enough and I think I'm not getting enough calories in the day which is slowing my metabolism and possibly contributing to the loss of my hair.

Since you're where you want to be, plus more - congrats! - it's tome to switch to Maintenance eating. You may want to read the chapter on this in DANDR. Up your carbs a little - "good" carbs, not the "bad" ones - by 5 grams per week to a point where your weight stabilizes.

Do you resistance train? You may want to add that into the mix if you don't.

Quote:
or about 99% of those who experienced hair loss were women.

Probably because 99% of the people using this board are women. Have you come across this explanation in your search yet?

Karen
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Feb-19-03, 10:30

BF:

Thanks for all the helpful responses.

Matt