Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jun-07-04, 08:11

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 372/342/185 Male 70
BF:
Progress: 16%
Default Having problems losing....

hmmm...i'm in a bind and i'm looking for help...

i have been losing about a pound a week since induction and while i know that is a healthy rate of loss, i feel like i should be losing a little more rapidly related to how huge i am at this point and how well i am sticking to my new way of eating. i feel good, i feel in control, i am losing inches slowly but steadily...i just can't understand why the weight is so slow to come off....

could i get some feedback from others like me who may have lost? i am 5' 10" and 330 pounds right now...i've lost about 20 pounds in about 7 weeks. i have my fitday posted...i'm wondering if maybe my fat is too high or my calories are too high...

just need some input - every day that i am this overweight is a day too many in terms of my health, heart, and life!

thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jun-07-04, 08:29
Bouncy!

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 297/173.3/150 Female 5'7" (top weight 340)
BF:41%/31%/??%
Progress: 84%

I looked quickly through your fitday.com, I'll give you my impressions. Before I do though, let me say, I'm not trying to be harsh and if you don't agree, then just ignore me, as I said it was a quick look only.

I see alot of nuts, low carb tortillas and keto cereal. I see carbs up at 60 per day pretty frequently (though I didn't try to calculate net carbs, maybe those are very high fibre days). I saw more than one cheat, skittles, battered chicken to name two and lots of days that seemed to only be partly filled in or not at all, so I don't know if you are having more cheats on some of those days.

It could be that you are not lucky (like many men) enough to be able to lose weight quickly while making only moderate changes to your way of eating. You might have to follow a stricter diet to lose weight. Try eating more simply, less nuts and grains (regardless of the net carbs) and more meat and veggies. Cut out the pepperoni maybe, it is filled with sodium and could be causing you to retain water.

Try bringing your net carbs down to 20 if they aren't already there, and cut out the cheats and see what happens.

Are you exercising? That is another place where men tend to be luckier than women, when men exercise it tends to make a huge difference in their weight loss.

All that said, 20 lbs in 7 weeks is still pretty good! Just under 3 lbs per week. I know you said it's only been a pound a week for a bit now, but our bodies cycle in weight loss maybe yours is taking a break to catch up to a fast initial weight loss and will pick up speed again soon.

You are doing great, keep it up and you'll figure out what works best for you!

Valerie
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jun-07-04, 08:44

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 372/342/185 Male 70
BF:
Progress: 16%

thanks for the input. as i look back over my fitday, i can see how sloppy i have gotten. i guess that i got too cocky....i'll go back to basics this week and not get so excited about changing my habits that i go crazy!