Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Mar-20-03, 11:22

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 182/180/150
BF:
Progress: 6%
Question Got a question....

I'm on day 3 of the Atkins diet and it's gotten easier with every passing day (day one was hell!!!) But here's my question, although having the ability to eat all the meat you want is nice, I'm the type who craves sweet things - which is not in abundance on the Atkins!! So, in order to answer the craving, I would slice a medium size pear and eat it with brie (cheese) or I would have a cup of creamy decaf. coffee with heavy whipping cream and Equal for sweetner. Please keep in mind I only have 1 pear a day if at all and the heavy whipping cream has NO carbs, the Equal has less than 1 Carb and the brie has NO carbs. I'm going off the notion that within the first 2 weeks, you are allowed only 20 grams of carbs MAX. I'm I doing okay? I'm trying to stick to the basics at least for the first 2 weeks but I need to answer my sweet tooth! Any advice?!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Mar-20-03, 11:25

Plan: BFC
Stats: 182/161/150 Female 5'4"
BF:dont.wanna.know
Progress: 66%

I have sugar free jello with the spray whipped cream for my cravings. I also found a low-carb Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup recipe and it helps too. Although I'm not sure if it's ok for the induction, I do however eat them sparingly.....and I'm still losing...hope this helps!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Mar-20-03, 11:55

Plan: Atkins Diet
Stats: 179/134/135
BF:
Progress: 102%

I hate to tell you this, but you should know brie does have carbs- just less than 1g per oz, heavy cream has carbs .8g per tbsp, coffee has carbs (decaf or not) 1g per 6oz cup. A pear alone has 25g of carbs each (21g net carbs). So any way you look at it you're way over the Induction limit of 20g. Fruit isn't allowed at all, but if you aren't willing to give it up all together at least go for the lower carb ones such as berries- strawberries have only 10g per cup. Sugar free jello would be a good alternative. An Atkins Advantage Bar could also serve as a sweet treat with 2g of net carbs. Try using the supplement L-glutamine to curb sweet cravings, 500mg prior to each meal. You're cravings will not decrease by not following the program. You're setting yourself up for failure. Induction is only 2 weeks, surely you can go for 2 weeks without giving in. After Induction you can add berries, low carb candys, many recipes, etc... Now's the time to break old bad habits and get carbs from veggies, not sugary fruits. A cookie or ice cream has less carbs than a pear, & you know they're not good for you, so... If you truly want success, you must show commitment. I don't want to offend, or hurt your feelings, but you're dooming yourself by not truly commiting to the low carb plan. In one sitting of a pear, you're maxing yourself out. I hope you'll reconsider your current plan. No matter what you decide, I wish you luck.
God Bless,
Amy-Lynne
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Mar-20-03, 12:49
Registered Member

Stats: 275/241/140
BF:
Progress: 25%
Default Honey I've got a sweet tooth like no other!

1st two weeks were rough to say the least. I know what you mean about a sweet tooth. I am addicted to sweets! My answer is called a mock danish. It's a foamy egg/cream cheese dish that I think is great. It was just the sweet tooth fix I needed. I fix this every morning. I am hooked on it. The secret is in the splenda or other sweetner used (I just use two packets of splenda it seems like plenty). Here's the receipe courtesy of a post by pbastian. Give it a try It's allowed on induction too!

Mock Danish
2 oz cream cheese (soften in microwave)
1 egg
1 tbls splenda
1 tsp lemon concentrate
1/2 tsp vanilla
Mix softened cream cheese and egg.
Add remaining ingredients.
Microwave on high for 2 minutes.

Nutrition Facts of Original Recipe
Amount Per 1 serving
Calories 167.76
Calories from Fat 117
Total Fat 13g 20%
Saturated Fat 6.87g 34%
Polyunsaturated Fat 0.987g
Monounsaturated Fat 4.28g
Sodium 210mg 9%
Potassium 170mg 5%
Total Carbohydrate 4g 1%
Dietary Fiber 0g 0%
Protein 11.43g 23%

I add just a small amount of Dr Atkins SF Raspberry syrup too

Good Luck! just give that evil sweet tooth a good The craving do get better honest.

Ellen

Last edited by geel : Thu, Mar-20-03 at 12:52.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Mar-20-03, 12:56
Registered Member

Stats: 275/241/140
BF:
Progress: 25%
Default P.S

I have to microwave mine for 2mins & 30 sec. If it doesn't seem done on top just put it in for a little longer. When done it will look dry and spongy