Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Sep-03-03, 11:06
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Improved mental function on LC...

Today I had Deja Vu. It was weird as it always is, but then I stopped for a minute and I thought to myself; you know what, I used to get Deja Vu like all the time, but I haven't had it since I started LC eating. Come to think of it, my mind has improved in many ways since then.
I used to be extremely depressed (borderline suicidal), sleeping all the time, very moody, apathetic about life, I had a harder time concentrating, and I had like zero ambition.

LC has pretty much changed all of that.

Sure, some of the depression and apathy lifting can be attributed to making positive changes in my life, but I definitely think getting rid of the sugar has a lot to do with it on a direct level... it was almost like removing narcotics from my diet.

Occasionally now I even have fleeting moments of "zen", I feel so content and at peace with the world, that it brings about a state of euphoria. This is what being normal feels like, and it's amazing. I almost never felt at peace before, and when I did it was twinged with guilt or misery, or was quickly followed by a crushing depressive episode.

The only complaint about the way I mentally and emotionally feel, is that my mood feels "flat" sometimes. I am so balanced now, and because I am used to feeling moody and crazy highs and lows is all I knew, that mental health makes me feel sort of 2d . A good problem to have as far as I'm concerned.

Has anyone else noticed improved emotional well being or cognitive function while on a LC WoL?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Sep-03-03, 11:12
Diet Cokeaholic

Plan: Whole foods moderation
Stats: 221/215/150 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Now that you mention it, my weirdo deja vu feelings have gone away too! That used to happen to me pretty regularly. I just find I am so much more alert and clear-headed with low-carb, and the energy is incredible. Some nights I can't even fall asleep because I'm just not tired — whereas before I could zonk out on the couch right after dinner every night.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Sep-03-03, 11:19

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Has anyone else noticed improved emotional well being or cognitive function while on a LC WoL?
Definitely! You don't just improve and stabilize your blood sugar, LCing also balances other hormones like cortisol and serrotonin - those responsible for mood and stress.

Not to mention all the mineral and vitamin defficiencies you take care of when you start taking a multi vitamin and your LC supplements. I haven't had a panic attack since I started over 2 years ago, and I used to get them frequently.

-Nat