Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jan-17-03, 12:03
Registered Member

Plan: South Atkins
Stats: 299/285/220 Male 74 Inches
BF:
Progress: 18%
Default Low Carb Sheriff

I find it rather amusing that I have become the low carb sheriff with my friends and family and sometimes even strangers. While only being on a low carb wol for a few months, I have read on the subject for the last year or so, but I am amazed how much advice is being asked of me regarding this low carb lifestyle. I am even more amazed at how much I know on the subject. Mind you, it's only the basics, but I feel confident I can teach others a few things.

For instance, I know where all of the Atkins products are for sale and for how much within 30 miles of my house. I know which low carb products are good and which need to be buried deep under the ground forever. I can also explain this wol to anyone with confidence, and to those naysayers out there, I just tell them my latest lipid panel results, my current blood pressure, and my current weight loss, all which are getting more and more favorable.

Funny, though, but when I am shopping I can always tell the ones who are seeking out low carb products, and I always ask them, "Are you looking for Atkins?" They respond, cautiously, "Yes." And I show them where and say, "Soon you won't have to look so hard for this stuff. It will be everywhere!"
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jan-17-03, 13:15

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 181/164/150
BF:
Progress: 55%

Your post was great and so true.

Glad things are going so well for you on the LC plan.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jan-17-03, 15:17

Plan: atkins( induction)
Stats: 252/124/115 Female 60in
BF:55%/19%/15%
Progress: 93%
Default Just call me professor Low carb

I have found that everyone asks you to explain the low carb way. I feel like I am almost lecturing on it sometimes. But I have found some people that ask don't really want the answer you give them ( like what do you mean you don't eat grain?) .
But the ones that have listened and tryed become real advocates for Low carbing . We have found the answer to our weight problem. So keep explaining it is worth it I would have loved this information 20 years ago when my weight became an issue. But now I know and I am going to sing it from the roof tops(well at least answer questions on the topic). Happy Low Carbing. SMuffy
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jan-17-03, 21:30
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%
Default I'm becoming a bona fide LC nerd!

I swear, my friends must be so sick of listening to me drone on and on at times about my latest research or to hear me scold them everytime they put a cookie near their lips!! "That stuff'll kill ya!", I say. I just laugh, they laugh....but I'm hoping that some of it gets through...especially to the ones I KNOW can benefit.

....and FINALLY after hearing me for months and months and months, my mother has gone LC!!! I am so excited I can hardly stand it!!! She's 74, has suffered with high cholesterol, IBS and arthritis for years and I KNOW she'll feel better LCing! She's on Day 5 and feeling great....said she feels better already. That's my biggest trophy so far! Next? My sister who's been 100# overweight for years and is a major sugar addict!
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jan-19-03, 19:28
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Funny, though, but when I am shopping I can always tell the ones who are seeking out low carb products, and I always ask them, "Are you looking for Atkins?" They respond, cautiously, "Yes." And I show them where and say, "Soon you won't have to look so hard for this stuff. It will be everywhere!"

*LOL* We need a secret handshake or something, don't we?

I rarely talk LC in my 'real life'; most of my friends are 'dietary hedonists'. That's okay, that's their choice. But maybe some day when we're in our 40s and they're all being diagnosed with diabetes, I'll be there to answer their questions about low-carbing. Hopefully, that IS the diet diabetics will be prescribed in the future!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jan-20-03, 01:11

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%
Thumbs up Shopping

Hi there, yep in just the short time I've been on Atkins, when I'm in the store, reading labels, I'm amazed at how, in one glance in the cart, I can tell if a persons shoppig LC.
I've always read labels on everything I buy, BUT I've been looking for the wrong things for years LOL !
Still getting used to that.

Cheers Kathy54

Last edited by Kathy54 : Mon, Jan-20-03 at 01:13.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jan-20-03, 14:23
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%

Just a note....

Today I went to my favorite produce market/health food store where they have a pretty darn good low carb section with lots of Atkins products and others.... the aisle was SWARMING with people!! (All the New Years newbies are coming off induction and looking for treats!!)