Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-23-04, 15:55
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 292.5/277.0/150 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 11%
Default How society views overweight people

In another post, about what it's like to lose 50 lbs. some of the members were talking about how people treat them differently now that they are smaller. I thought this would be an interesting discussion!

I am a 20-something, educated, female small business owner who lives in one of the weathliest towns in the whole country. I tell you this, because the experience that I have had truly has been in the worst environment for overweight people (compared to other areas where perhaps there are more people who are overweight). I speak to clients on the phone and have a great repore. Then, I meet with them and they act surprised when they see me. Bascially, the look is: "Oh my god, I can't believe YOU are ________________!" It's like their whole tone changes and they suddenly have doubts in my professional skills or abilities. I only end up meeting about 10% of clients (most work is done over phone/fax/E-mail) and honestly, my fear of people "seeing me" has really disabled me I think because I could make more of an effort to meet people in person, though, it's not required, it would make a much better impression maybe.

I make a six-figure salary and can afford to shop at nice stores, live in a beautiful home, go to nice restaurants, drive a luxury SUV and go on the best vacations. Though, I consider myself a pretty girl, who is polished and always looks her best, people can't understand how I, the fat girl seems to "have it all." I have even had people comment that my business can't possibly be "legitimate" because of my size! Even though, I have been nationally recognized in the media.

I feel like I am trapped in this body and my weight doesn't allow me to "look the part" that people automatically associate with a successful young businesswoman. Just today, I got my hair highlighted and cut at a very "She-She" salon here in town and when the colorist asked me what I did, she acted shocked when I told her. When I go into stores, no one says hello to me or helps me, I feel like I get a stare and the clerks are saying, "Why is SHE in here?" I have had waitresses in restaurants be downright rude and not return to our table except to take our order.

Even my own mother says that people don't take overweight people seriously. She is not overweight and has never been. She doesn't understand my weight problem and makes me feel like she is ashamed of me sometimes. She keeps telling me, "You would be such a beautiful girl, it's a shame that you want to be that size." Or, "I can't imagine what it feels like to carry all that weight around all day." Like I WANT to be this way.

Also, I have just begun noticing that only certain malls carry Lane Bryant stores. The really NICE malls, the upscales ones, do not, it's totally intentional! It's like they are saying, "Fat people, don't come to this mall."

Has anyone else experienced similiar treatment? It's truly severe prejudice. I wouldn't say I am someone who has low self-esteem, just sometimes, it comes out when I'm confronted with situations like the ones above. Someone in the other post mentioned that people won't even look you in the eye, it's SO true.

Anyone with similar experiences?
Sponsored Links