Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Sep-12-03, 11:15

Plan: Atkins-ish :D
Stats: 210/205/150 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 8%
Unhappy Crazy! Stomach Cramping the Morning After I Eat Dessert!!! Any Ideas??

Okay, I know I shouldnt be eating desserts to begin with, but heres what happened..

The other day, (Tuesday evening) I bought 3 cookies from my schools snack shop and ate them in class... went home, didnt really eat anything, and around 5:30 am I woke up with the beginnings of a bad stomach cramp... I drank a huge glass of ice water (like more than a liter) and went back to bed... 7:30 am, woke up, stomach was killing me, like all knotted up and if I laid on my sides it felt as though the weight of this lump was pulling itself (thanks to gravity) so that hurt.. had to stay on my back or sit up.. but I couldnt sleep.. I basically laid around and drank a ton of water until 9:30ish, where I got up and took 5 Ibuprofens hoping it would loosen up the cramping.. was able to fall asleep and by 11-11:30 am I was better... tummy was tender but didnt hurt anymore... I was like.. WOW, I guess no more cookies for me..! (This happened a week ago, same thing, bought cookies at school before class at 7pm, next morning, stomach killed, thats why Im attributing it to the cookies..)

So, Im okay now, eating regularly.. LC and all that.. and last night we went to The Cheesecake Factory, and I had a salad and everything, and we all ordered this Factory Mud Pie thing.. I had a few bites with some bites of ice cream as well, and that was it for me.. Well, this morning, same thing, with my stomach.. severe cramping, just felt like this huge lump in my upper stomach, like right under my breast... drank a ton of water hoping to loosen it up, and took some Ibuprofen again... it went away fairly quickly this morning, like within a couple hours, but I didnt lay back down like before, I just kept moving around the house hoping that would help, and it did..

So basically, Ive come to the conclusion that this sugar thing is just not working out... and god do I love cookies and ice cream and cake and all that, but apparently, my body is more focused on staying LC than my mind is.. which is good, its a definite reinforcement.. BUT has anyone had this happen to them?? Or heard of it?? Its not my gallbladder, already had that checked out.. and besides, what would sugar do to my stomach as far as cramping goes that fat and protein and fiber wouldnt??? I dont get it... Any help?? Thanks and sorry for the long post!!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Sep-13-03, 19:51

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterlina
BUT has anyone had this happen to them?? Or heard of it??
Sterlina, I had a similar reaction to eating sugar alcohols about 16 months ago - severe stomach pains that felt like the worst case of indigestion I've ever had. I thought I was having a heart attack at one point it hurt so bad.

Reactions to carbs when you've been LCing are not unusual. Severe reactions are usually a sign that you are allergic to something. Eating excessive carbs can mask these allergies, eating LC and then going back to eating something that sets you off can mean a severe reaction.

It's possible that it's not just 'sugar' but something specific - like lactose or grains (two of the big common ones - the others being nuts, soy, shellfish). Your best (and most obvious) bet is to avoid the 'real things' and perhaps have something LC from the desserts recipe section once in a while (the NY Style Cheesecake is awesome )

Cheers,
Nat
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Sep-13-03, 21:25

Plan: Atkins-ish :D
Stats: 210/205/150 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 8%

Hey Nat, thanks for replying..!!! Yeah, my best bet is to just avoid it all together, I mean, Im supposed to anyways... its just a serious reinforcement with this pain thing... :sigh: