Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Nov-26-03, 17:05

Plan: atkins
Stats: 283/250.5/190 Male 6' 1"
BF:
Progress: 35%
Default Best sources to learn about metabolism?

My head is starting to spin trying to understand more and more about the science of metabolism. Can anyone recommend reliable resources (other than this forum, of course) for research-based information on metabolism?

For instance, here's an example of the type of issues I'd like to learn more about...lots of people (here and elsewhere) cite the fact that "reducing calories too much can cause the body to go into starvation mode". Where does that come from? What variables are involved? How long does it take for this to go into effect?

Another oft-cited example of something I'd like to learn about...Fat contains 9 calories per gram, but burning fat consumes 4 calories per gram, leaving only 5 net calories for fuel". Where can I go to learn more about this?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Nov-26-03, 21:34
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

I'm not sure about all those questions. A better source to learn how fat and carbs interact with the body then DANDR is the Protien Power book. It goes into more scientific detail. There is also one out there called "The Big Fat Lie" or soemthing like that about the good proporties of eating fats.

The best resource though would be to look into a college level biology book. You would have to make sure to get a very updated one. Doing research online for recent studies and published works can also help.

If your really inthralled you can subscribe to journals where scientific studies are published like the New England Journal of Health. You would have to wade through tons of medical articles most of which don't relate directly to metabolism though.