Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jun-19-02, 22:51

Plan: Atkins for now.
Stats: 135/?/115? Female Short. 5"3
BF:Don't wanna know.
Progress: 15%
Question Yo-Yo dieting

How long does it take on Atkins for ppl who have been yo yo dieting for years to get their metabolism like back to normal? Or somewhat normal..
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jun-20-02, 02:44

Plan: atkins, paleo, vlc
Stats: 186/186/154 Female 60inches
BF:o/m/g
Progress: 0%
Default good question (I don't know)

...but I hope someone answers this if it is possible. Speaking as a yoyo dieter, who has hopefully put that behind her, I'd like to know too. But it may be a bit of a tough one - how do you assess what is a normal metabolism anyway?
Zan
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jun-20-02, 03:05
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, mostly KISS
Stats: 63/68/58
BF:
Progress: -100%
Default me too...

I'm wondering the same thing... any experts out there?
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jun-20-02, 04:55

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 178/166.0/140 Female 5'9"/174cm
BF:30.4/30.4/25?
Progress: 32%

I'm also a member of the YoYo-Club and am now paying for it.

My first time on Atkins 4 years ago I lost 30 lbs in 3 months and it was very easy. Then I went back to my bad eating habits and started gaining. So I'd restart Atkins again I cannot even count how many times. Sometimes it only lasted a day or two, but on the "good" tries, I'd usually loose around 5 to 10 lbs in a week or even less (mostly water, I know) and then get stuck and give up very quickly.

I finally ate my way up to 172 lbs - my most ever not counting pregnancies - and out of all of my clothes. I think I got my wake-up call when the only thing that still fit comfortably were the sweats I wore during that last pregnancy - the kid's 11 now!!!

So I restarted Atkins again Mid-May, and quickly dropped 10 lbs. to 162 and just as quickly back up to 167. That was all in under 2 weeks. Since then I've been stuck somewhere around 163/64 (not counting that one glorious morning, where the scales showed 159 - which didn't last - was morning after I had a few Pepsi One's & Rum - must have been dehydrated pretty bad even so I flooded myself with water before the drinks).

But anyway, I've been stuck for around 4 weeks now but have decided that I am NOT giving up. For one I know that as soon as I did, I'd go nowhere but up. And I know it will work IF I stick with it.

It would be good to know how long that'll be, but I don't expect an answer - this is probably even more a YMMV issue than most others.

Either way, after doing so very well the first time, this is very frustrating.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jun-20-02, 06:01

Red face Stupid yo-yo induction is more like it!

Quote:
Originally posted by Thelma
the kid's 11 now!!!

Either way, after doing so very well the first time, this is very frustrating.

LOL the kid's 11 now. Sorry that was funny, I'm not laughin at ya or anything lol but I hear ya on it being frustrating now.

Eck I have a similar story too. I dunno about my weight, my average has always been like 130/132.. But my first time (that I did it by the book but only made it to like 11 days) was after Christmas when I gained like 12lbs.. All water thank god..lol and I lost it within those 10 days.

Tried many attempts after that to do it again, I basically was gaining water weight and losing it, gain it, lose it.. NEVER made it through a full induction untill about 2 months ago, My first full induction was fine except I realised a month later I was eating too much sodium..LoL that explains why I didn't lose a pound. Guess what I did within that month? LoL ATE MORE SALT AND ADDED CARBS!! So then I ate Wendy's, pizza, friend chicken, chocolate.. The good junk for a month..

I then got my wakeup call AGAIN (few weeks ago) when the scale kept hitting near 148/150! I've neverrrrr weighed that much lol. It's funny too because after Xmas I swore I'd never let the scale go near 140 again.. oops
No doubt it was all water, I was drinking soda's and chocolate milk.. Screw drinkin water..

Then I lost 5lbs on the 48hr hollywood celeb diet ( I used to lose 10 on that go figure ) And then another 4lbs on Slimfast.. LOL (just cause I like the taste and it worked before ) And now here I am, back to Atkins at 138lbs..eck I'm starting to get scared that these last 8lbs is fat... I kinda think its water though.. It came on too fast to be fat.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jun-20-02, 06:02

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

Your system will not revert back to normal just sitting around.

Lean muscle tissue is what charges up the metobolism. So you want a faster metobolism? Weight train. Exercise.

Just sitting around doesn't build muscle tissue. As Nike says "JUST DO IT!"
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jun-20-02, 06:05

Default Re: good question (I don't know)

Quote:
Originally posted by ezandreth
...but I hope someone answers this if it is possible. Speaking as a yoyo dieter, who has hopefully put that behind her, I'd like to know too. But it may be a bit of a tough one - how do you assess what is a normal metabolism anyway?
Zan

I dunno what a "normal metabolism" is, obviously its gonna be different for everyone.. I just meant one thats not messed up from yo-yo'ing..lol Someones gotta know what I mean, lol I suck at asking questions
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jun-20-02, 06:08

Quote:
Originally posted by agonycat
Your system will not revert back to normal just sitting around.

Lean muscle tissue is what charges up the metobolism. So you want a faster metobolism? Weight train. Exercise.

Just sitting around doesn't build muscle tissue. As Nike says "JUST DO IT!"

Yea I get that part.. But even with exercise and eating right..How long should it take? Although I shouldn't even be asking this since I'm hypothyroid and my metabolism will NEVER be fast.

I exercise, weight train..And love nike! LoL $75 sneakers!
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jun-20-02, 06:09

When you yo yo diet your body tears down lean muscle tissue for fuel. By doing this your metobolism slows. After years of dieting your body's metobolism is so sluggish that when you go on a diet nothing happens. It is business as usual for you body by this time because it is used to being starved.

The only way to kick start this metobolism back up is to work out. Build back the muscle tissue you lost. There is no other way around it.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jun-20-02, 06:12

Quote:
Originally posted by SlimShAdY

Yea I get that part.. But even with exercise and eating right..How long should it take? Although I shouldn't even be asking this since I'm hypothyroid and my metabolism will NEVER be fast.

I exercise, weight train..And love nike! LoL $75 sneakers!

That is totally up to the individual. How hard are you willing to work at it? Seriously, take a look at Nat, Dan, Fern and others on this board that commited to themselves to work out and get fit. They have super charged their metobolism in less than 6 months.

Me personally I have a hard time keeping up the exercise for more than a couple of weeks because I grow bored with it.

Just like staying on this plan during stalls, it takes commitment to an exercise program.