Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Oct-30-02, 15:57
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 160/135/120
BF:
Progress: 63%
Default xenadrine...I'm gonna try it

I have a feeling I won't want to hear the advice on this, but here it goes anyway. I just bought a bottle of this stuff (ephedrine free) and I'm going to try taking half the recommended dose, one tablet twice a day. I've been low carbing about three months now, and I've always been a slow loser due to several different reasons I believe (I'm 48, on zoloft, low blood pressure meds and I quit smoking a month ago) Since I quit smoking I really want to eat, actually I always want to eat but my appetite has increased.
I'm caffeine free more or less, I drink decaf coffee and green tea so hopefully I won't get too buzzed off of this (the label says a dose has about the same amount caffeine as a cup of coffee.
I really need help with my cravings, I'm already taking l-glutamine.
I'm going to hide the bottle from my husband because I know he'll get mad at me for taking it because of the high blood pressure thing, (although my blood pressure has been pretty good. I'll keep an eye on it) What do you think?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Oct-30-02, 17:23
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi there Katiesmom, welcome!

First of all, I'll say congratulations! You've already lost 15 pounds - that means you are doing very well.

So I don't think there is any need to try and speed up the weight loss. Yes, I know we'd all like to lose that bit faster, but you are doing VERY well. 15 pounds in 3 months is just plain wonderful!

As for your appetite, the beauty of this way of eating is that if you are hungry - eat more! Maybe that is some of your problem - you need to eat a bit more.

Now, as for taking the Xenadrine, as a health professional, I would strongly suggest you check with your doctor before you begin taking it. If he/she agrees, fine, take it. But please, do not take it without checking!

Rosebud
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Oct-30-02, 18:56

Plan: Atkins/Carb Addicts
Stats: 375/303/225
BF:
Progress: 48%
Default Xenadrine

I am the same age as you (48) and used this for about 2 months prior to going low carb. It will definitely kick up your metabolism because of thermogenic effect. As for weight loss, I didn't see that big an effect after the intial week or so. Definitely not enough to warrant continued use after 2 months. If I were you I would be especially careful taking this when you are on an anti-depressant and taking medication for blood pressure. You should check with your doctor. I believe you will find he advises you against taking. Stick to the low carb diet, minimizing sugars and simple carbs and having moderate amounts of acceptable and healthy carbs daily. Work in some exercise as that will naturally increase your metabolism. If you can work with weights I would incorporate some weight training as it builds muscle. This will change your body shape and increased muscle will also increase your calorie burning. Give it 3 months more that way and honestly monitor your progress in a journal. If you are able to stick to this regimen for the majority of the time (everyone experiences setbacks and occasional divergences from the routine) I think you will be surprised with the results and it will definitely be safer and better for your overall health.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Oct-31-02, 17:37
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 160/135/120
BF:
Progress: 63%
Default xenadrine

Thanks for your replies.
Unfortunately I can't eat more. I've found I definately need to keep an eye on my calories. When I first started low carbing I wasn't counting calories and I also wasn't losing. I wasn't really eating that much, but I'm short (5'2") and I didn't start losing weight until I started keeping my calories no more then 1400, better if around 1200. This is with exercising too. I joined the YMCA over three months ago and I've been going on the average five days a week doing a combination of weights, cross trainer and alot of swimming. I'm am working my butt off (almost) to lose every pound. I'm definately in better shape, I know that. Since I quit smoking I can now stay on the cross trainer at least 30 minutes instead of 10 feeling like I was going to have a stroke.
My swimming is also much stronger. I'm just nervous about gaining weight with no cigarettes so I'm probably over reacting.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Oct-31-02, 18:20

Plan: Atkins/Carb Addicts
Stats: 375/303/225
BF:
Progress: 48%
Default Counting Calories

1200-1400 calories is a very low calorie count for any size person even if the are totally sedentary. With all the working out you are doing you need more calories just to meet your daily requirements and repair and build muscle from your workouts. Your body has been tricked by the low calorie intake to go into starvation mode - which is to conserve energy and protect you against long periods with limited or no food. I believe if you follow any LC diet eating at least 3 meals a day, and maybe 6 smaller meals if you are more comfortable, you will have more energy and lose weight. Understand that weight training builds muscle which weighs more than fat. Increased muscle increases your metabolism (the rate you burn calories) and changes the shape of your body. Although you can't spot reduce, regular weight training with increased resistance will change the shape of your body over time. If you deprive your body (and your mind) of the necessary calories you need to be healthy and function well you will show very little weight loss on the scale and you will feel so deprived that you will think about starting to smoke again to make yourself feel better. Try the LC diet with the increased calories and continuing the workouts and exercise for 2 weeks. I'll bet you lose weight and feel a lot better as well. Don't fixate on the scale. Instead concentrate on how you feel, look and your clothes fit over a several week period.