Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, May-27-02, 11:58

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 197/195/140 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%
Default the discovery channel website

Hi all!

It seems as though the Discovery Channel has a little more discovering to do. I came across this little link that I found interesting. It didn't seem to me that the professional asked had really done much research on his topic (based on the results I have read of the success of so many individuals here).

http://health.discovery.com/centers...s/fatcarbs.html

There is so much information out there, no wonder so many of us have been so confused for so long!!

It is working for me and this WOE agrees with my body, and until such time as it doesn't it will be LC all the way for me!!

How can so many health professionals be so willing to give advice without actually fully understanding something or at least investigating the alternatives? I guess we can all fall victim to being non-critical readers. I wonder if there is anyplace where one could read about people who have been following this WOL for 5+ years to hear their experiences and results?

Any comments anyone?

KC
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, May-27-02, 12:10

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Kinda makes me want to send them a letter to produce the research behind their answers. High protein diets have not been shown to harm healthy kidneys or produce calcium loss in bones long term. As for the calorie restriction theory, again, the good doctor obviously hasn't done his research there, either. Many of us are eating far more calories than we would on a low fat diet and losing weight better. Low in calcium, he says? Hardly. I eat many foods that are as high, if not higher, in calcium as milk such as cheese and broccoli. Yes, I restrict my carbs, but guess what? The body really has no need for them. The actual RDA for carbs is zero, zip, none. You can also get the same nutrients from meat and low carb veggies that can be found in starchy foods or grains with a lot less carbs. Sounds to me like the good doctor is simply repeating the dogma of the day without actually researching it himself.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, May-27-02, 21:07
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 180/160/160 Male 5.7
BF:
Progress: 100%
Exclamation Read carefully!

Dr. Shike's second sentence is the kind I like to take to my students to ask them to discern its logical defect: "We know, for example, that high-protein diets may be harmful to the kidneys." The answer is you cannot say "we know" and "may!" Either "We know high-protein diets are harmful..." or "High-protein diets may be harmful..." but not "We know that high-protein diets may be harmful to the kidneys!" Something you know is a proven fact (and if low-carb damages kidneys, then prove it!) whereas something that "may be" is nothing but an unsubstantiated allegation.
One thing I like to stimulate above all is critical thinking. If our schools had been doing a better job instilling it into students' minds, we'd all be better off, both educationally and nutritionally.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, May-28-02, 17:02

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210.0/198.0/165 Female 5'5"
BF: entirely too much
Progress: 27%
Thumbs down

Too bad the Discovery Channel site didn't invite readers' responses to this ill-informed article. Sounds like Dr. Shike needs to enhance his research skills.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, May-28-02, 22:43
Registered Member

Plan: Atkin's/PP
Stats: 156/138/125
BF:?/32.5%/20%
Progress: 58%
Default blah blah blah.....

This WOE is so logical it seems rediculous that it's so hard for researchers/doctors to catch on. And LC is so misconstrued. Sometimes I feel non-LC'ers think all we eat is fatty steaks, and buttery eggs with a bacon grease chaser.

Very frustrating. I happen to eat very healthful and natural foods and they make me feel great! I could go on and on but I won't. I wonder how much longer it will take for them to catch on?

Long live the LC'ers!